Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Portavoz

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2022
Something doesn't add up here with previous leaks. Previous leaks have said that the dimensions of the new iPad Pro (bigger one) is almost 1mm longer and wider than the current one. If the bezels are "slimmer" as this article suggests than the new iPad Pro is slightly larger with smaller bezels but still has a 12.9" screen? Either the screen is larger, the dimension are off, or the bezels size is wrong.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Looking forward to the 11.1”. I’ve used both the 11” and 12.9” models and while the screen on the current 12.9” Pro looks great, the 11” is far more portable and practical as a road device.

AlexESP

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2014
True, but why not make the iPad a 2-in-1? Choose between macOS and iPadOS.

This way it won't be useless with JUST iPadOS as it currently stands.
1. Don’t you think saying iPads are “useless with just iPadOS” is a bit exaggerated? Specially, given your comparison, when more people use iPads than Macs.

2. I’d say, if you know Apple, the question is always “why” instead of “why not”. Why should they put effort and accept all the inconveniences of implementing a desktop OS in a tablet?

tweaknmod

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2012
Ottawa, Ontario
People arguing for macOS on an iPad probably aren't thinking it through properly. Like, if you want macOS then buy a laptop.
Personally, I would advocate for a slimmed down version of macOS instead of a scaled up version of iOS. That’s a major oversimplification, of course, but I think the starting point of iPhone on a bigger scale was a mistake to begin with. Another oversimplification, but starting from macOS and adapting that to a primarily touch interface would yield better results.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
MacRumors said:
There is a possibility that the 11.1-inch iPad Pro will be in short supply at launch because Apple has been dealing with light leakage issues that are not impacting the 12.9-inch model.
Can't hurt to wait on the 11.1" then, especially in my case, since I wouldn't buy until June anyway (Back-To-School promotion).

Doesn’t matter how good they are.
They will still cause headaches and major vision problems.
Micro-led or nothing.
Nothing for you it is then... probably for many, many years.

Personally, I would advocate for a slimmed down version of macOS instead of a scaled up version of iOS.
Ironically, iOS began as a (very) slimmed down version of OS X / macOS.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
True, but why not make the iPad a 2-in-1? Choose between macOS and iPadOS.

This way it won't be useless with JUST iPadOS as it currently stands.
I don't think macOS in its current form would work very well, but I do wonder why Apple couldn't make it work for iPad.

What we have now is an iPadOS that's been designed as an overgrown iOS, instead of as a touch-optimized offshoot of macOS.

Last edited:

jole

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2004
USA
People arguing for macOS on an iPad probably aren't thinking it through properly. Like, if you want macOS then buy a laptop.

10 years of iPads (almost all models), I finally gave up: Apple will never target pro-users with the OS. Lesson finally learned, no more iPads for me.

(Typing this with MacBook Pro + Vision Pro combo)

jackedint

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2012
what is the rumor for the new iPad / Apple pencil integrations with VisionOS? nothing? there must be something? with a M3 / or M4 chip, surely be able to see display the iPadOS screen like MacOS? but what about the pencil? will it become like / be an Apple "Wand" ? will the new / updated Apple pencil/wand work independently from iPadOS? (can you use it completely & only in VisionOS? or will be still dependent on iPadOS?)

I come for some real rumors, someone dig thru some of the beta code and spill the beans!

jole

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2004
USA
The odds of getting AI hardware before AI software…..

Haven't we been there for 7 years now?

440px-Apple_A11.jpg

Shin-Ra

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2008
double oled layer helps in contrast and HDR, but they double the blue fading pixels issue
So....2 ups 1 down while with mini-led, if Apple put a lot of money in it and have dimming zone/1pixel that would be second best display tech next to micro-led
Is this based on a released tandem OLED display?

I thought the general expectation was that each layer is driven less hard than a single layer OLED, keeping within a more power efficient range.

Lower brightness and heat per layer should result in slower degradation of the organic materials. Not quite the gains from heat reduction as two completely independent layers because they’re sandwiched together without extra surface area to dissipate heat, but less than half the heat is produced from each layer to produce the same total light output as a standard OLED panel.

Reactions: mlayer and Tagbert

sunny5

Suspended
Jun 11, 2021
Stop reading clickbait website...one thing is leak and the other is an rumour or speculation
Apple will never jump from 1099 to 1799 only if they cut the storage and starts from 512 ssd
Not just one but many leakers.

Dont forget that LG who already makes two stack tandem said it's 2~3 times more expensive than OLED panels.

dholzer

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
Personally, I would advocate for a slimmed down version of macOS instead of a scaled up version of iOS. That’s a major oversimplification, of course, but I think the starting point of iPhone on a bigger scale was a mistake to begin with. Another oversimplification, but starting from macOS and adapting that to a primarily touch interface would yield better results.

I mostly agree, although Microsoft has shown that, if not done well, one can make a mess of both the Desktop and Tablet OS.

I don't think you can hold it against Apple that there aren't enterprise apps on iPadOS (as that is for the developers to do, not Apple), but my biggest problems with building on iOS is that the file system is useless - pushing iCloud (which I would wager is not in most people's workflow), and multitasking was (and still is) awful - which probably made more sense in the days of the early A chips.

Reactions: entropys

MallardDuck

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2014
I'm actually looking forward to these ipads more than I have in years. I expect this one to last 4-5 years for sure, maybe longer if the battery doesn't give out.

Different devices need different OS's. I don't want a touch screen mac (because I use external monitors 90% of the time).

Only concern on the 12 being thinner is bendgate 2.0.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.