Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple won't release an iPhone that can connect to 5G data networks until at least 2020, claims a new report out today.

According to Bloomberg's sources, Apple is planning to delay its support for the next generation of high-speed mobile services coming in 2019, just as it did for previous generations.

iphone-xs-5g.jpg
As with 3G and 4G, the two previous generations of mobile technology, Apple will wait as long as a year after the initial deployment of the new networks before its main product gets the capability to access them, said the people, who asked not to be identified discussing the company's plans.
According to Bloomberg, Apple delayed support for previous mobile network upgrades because it accurately predicted that the first versions of rival smartphones would suffer from problems like poor coverage.

However, 5G advocates argue that delaying support for the upcoming network upgrade is a bigger risk for Apple, since it represents a much bigger speed boost over previous generations, making the leap from 4G to 5G significant enough to become a major selling point for new devices.

5G advocates believe the danger for Apple is that it will be left behind by rivals like Samsung, who could exploit the delay and attract more consumers to its Galaxy smartphones, which are expected to support 5G networks next year. Likewise, Chinese mobile makers Oppo and Huawei have also signaled that they plan to offer 5G phones.

Bloomberg suggests that Apple's decision to wait another year before supporting 5G could be related to the company's feud with Qualcomm, a leader in 5G-enabled chips, and it's partnership instead with Intel, which won't have 5G chips ready in time for 2019 phones.

Rumors late last year suggested Intel and Apple were already working on 5G chip technology for future iPhone devices. Intel is said to have thousands of people working on 5G tech to catch up with Qualcomm and win Apple's 5G modem contract.

Huawei and Samsung have the manufacturing infrastructure to build 5G modems, but Apple is said to be unlikely to use chips from its smartphone rivals, who could struggle to produce adequate supplies for the iPhone's huge volumes anyway.

Whatever the reason behind the delay, some analysts believe Apple's decision could have an impact on its iPhone customer base.

"Apple has always been a laggard in cellular technology," said Mark Hung, an analyst at Gartner who spoke to Bloomberg. "They weren't impacted in the past, but 5G is going to be much easier to market. But if they wait beyond 2020, then I think they'll be impacted."

Article Link: Apple to Wait Until at Least 2020 to Release 5G iPhones

Last edited:

Omega Mac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2013
Tin foil hats will be de rigeur.

5G has a smaller cell area does it not?

Maybe I can walk so my head is between the coverage blackspot like skipping between the cracks on the pavement. There will be an App for this (pending).

Reactions: d0nK and tridley68

bluush

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2007
Classic Apple. Be the last one on the block to show up to the party, and charge the highest price for the honor.

Every product that could be out in 2019 is now pushed to 2020. Every other company will beat Apple to the punch.

"Think Different. Act much later."

Omega Mac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2013
Classic Apple. Be the last one on the block to show up to the party, and charge the highest price for the honor.

Every product that could be out in 2019 is now pushed to 2020. Every other company will beat Apple to the punch.

"Think Different. Act much later."

How must have is 5G and will the coverage even justify it's inclusion versus maintaining profit. It's a delicate balance.

Most people probably won't even notice.

Now, I give you my timeless base criteria for upgrades.
  • Larger storage tiers.
  • Longer Battery.
  • Processing power.
  • Doesn't bend easily.
  • Screen tech/size.
Hitting 3+ of these at a time is enough to make a move.

Omega Mac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2013
5G, using up your data plan in a fraction of a second since 2020

That's the point though isn't it. They want users to have a good experience. So the carriers need to get both their networks and plans in ironed out and in place so the end user doesn't have a sour experience.

The majority Apple iPhone customer is not an early adopter other than maybe wanting the latest iPhone, but they don't want people using a speed boat in the shallow en doc the pool. They're waiting for some sea frontage to open up.

I does love me an-a-na-logy.

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Apple has always waited a year or two after new cell / mobile tech comes out to get the 2nd generation tech before putting it in their phones and it's never hurt them (past 1st generation tech - 4G if memory serves, had power consumption problems that was flagged in reviews at the time...but the 2nd gen 4G tech didn't, which is what Apple used, good choice on their part).

5G in particular seems much more of a benefit to providers (who want to compete with cable / DSL with it with the extra speed and user number capacity) than with users (assuming you're not needing to download massive files instantly onto your iPhone). There was a real user benefit with 4G with streaming video etc., but for most users I doubt they'll notice 5G. JMHO...

Last edited:

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
I think I drop more calls on my iPhone now than I did back in the mid 2000s on whichever phone I had then. When I do get good reception, speeds are more than good enough. So faster isn't really of great interest to me. I'm on Verizon in a fairly well populated area where Verizon is the best carrier and we had a recent power outage for a few days so I couldn't use Wifi. During most of that time Verizon's cellular data did not work in my house (had to go outside).

I would like better reception, though. The only thing I want faster on my iPhone are the USB speeds, which are about as fast as the very first iPod that came out in 2001 except now instead of transferring 5 GB of data they are transferring up to 512 GB!

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
Apple is planning to delay its support for the next generation of high-speed mobile services coming in 2019, just as it did for previous generations.

That is true, but with previous generations Apple had so much advantage in comparison to competition, that they could actually afford something like that. Just remember 1st iphone, no MMS, or really bad camera etc... With today's competition, Apple cant afford to be, yet again, the last one to implement new tech, especially something as ground breaking as 5G.

Anawrahta

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2005
亞洲
I don't think it will impact them at all. LTE Advanced is already quick enough for most mobile applications, including streaming HD video. The only thing I can see faster data speeds being useful for are VR and 4K or 8K video, but honestly those are all outlier use cases on a mobile device. Surely down the line there will be new applications we don't know exist that will take advantage of higher transfer speeds, but until those are popularized it doesn't make sense to worry too much about the added cost and potential battery drain.

Val-kyrie

macrumors 68020
Feb 13, 2005
This simplifies my life--I won't buy an Apple laptop until the stop producing them with the flawed scissor keyboards and I won't buy another iPhone without 5G.

How must have is 5G and will the coverage even justify it's inclusion versus maintaining profit. It's a delicate balance.

Most people probably won't even notice.

Now, I give you my timeless base criteria for upgrades.
  • Larger storage tiers.
  • Longer Battery.
  • Processing power.
  • Doesn't bend easily.
  • Screen tech/size.
Hitting 3+ of these at a time is enough to make a move.

Phones should never bend easily--ala the iPhone 6+ which could bend or warp because it got too hot from normal use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.