Apple today rolls out much-delayed Newton

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
That was great, thanks.I've never heard of that. I really loved the part "green-black notepad sized box flips open to a screen". And it only weighs 1 lb. :D

Archer1440

Suspended
Mar 10, 2012
USA
Looking forward to the day, 20 years from now or so, when today's iPads look that dated. We'll have 50 hour Retina displays in a device that rolls up into a 1/2 inch tube... if we don't find ourselves unable to afford the things because China owns us.

MelodyMarch03

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2012
That's 2MB as in MEGA bytes. Didn't want our younger audience to confuse that with GIGA bytes. In new iPad terms, that would be .002GB?
I remember playing around with some Macintosh Classics in school around that time that only had 4MB, so 2MB on a portable device at that time was HUGE!

My first laptop in 1999 (not a mac) still only had 4GB, and that was considered a TON for a laptop at the time.

Just shows how far we have come in 20 short years in terms of the digital revolution! :cool:

joegleur

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2011
Looking forward to the day, 20 years from now or so, when today's iPads look that dated. We'll have 50 hour Retina displays in a device that rolls up into a 1/2 inch tube... if we don't find ourselves unable to afford the things because China owns us.
you must have the older model. mine is all holographic. none of that prehistoric retina nonsense.

Prof.

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Chicago
Thumbs up if you saved that intentionally
I'm far too young to have saved this intentionally, I was 4 in 1993. :p

My friend's little sister bought a bag or purse of some sort this past weekend and that news paper was stuffed inside to maintain the bag's shape.

JOHNGAETANO

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
Akron, Ohio
Wirelessly posted

The Newton was such a fun device. Way ahead of its time. As far as excitment goes, I can compare the launch of the Newtons successor the Newton 2100 to the launch of the original iPhone in 2007. I was stoked.

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
The newton was really ahead of it's time even though back then Apple really was slowing down. The main problem was, the Newton was ass-backwards launched and then the units were priced too high at the time. Palm OS back in that time was still alive and they were building much higher quality devices even though they sucked. I'm happy that Jobs axed multiple projects back then because of the way they were done.