Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Apple's is the world's 4th largest computer maker. According to the last few years' sale progression, it is expected this year that they will become the 3rd largest behind Dell and Gateway.

I'm not sure what your ignorance was based on, but I hope this has been helpful.

miketcool was being sarcastic. I hope this has been helpful.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
So there's a Desktop category, and there's 10 slots in it. Apple placed 3 iMac models and 1 Mac Mini model. That's 4 of the slots. No other PC manufacturer placed in the top 10. What placed in the other 6 slots?

Toaster ovens? :confused:

Books and software mostly; I think.

scu

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2005
I wish I had the money to invest in AAPL at the moment...:(

I wish I had more money to invest further. Don't worry this stock will split soon and then you might be able to buy a few shares.

I think next quarter results will blow everyone away. Apple sells a great deal on their own website and iPods and MacBooks made the top ten.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
It is odd the the Desktop category includes books and other computer related stuff, but it is good fun news anyway. I like when I can throw some weight around.

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
Compare this to the a1610n from HP at number 12. You can also buy the a1600n, a1620n, a1630n and a1640n. And in 2 weeks, the a1600 series will be replaced, if it hasn't been already.

Interesting you bring up this point, because Apple used to be like this.

One of the first things Teh Steve did when he came back was declare it was unnecessarily confusing to consumers, and cut to the now (in) famous 4 products lines -- (consumer|pro) && (laptop || desktop)

Apparently there's another benefit, when measuring product sales for top 10 lists :)

sam10685

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
Portland, OR
i got a 200 dollar gift card to the apple store so i'm going to save more, sell my 12" powerbook G4 and get something brand new when Leopard gets here. (hopefully there's going to be new hardware out too by then.)

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
However, perhaps most impressive was Apple's domination of the Desktop category, with Apple placing 3 iMac models and 1 Mac Mini model with no other PC manufacturer placing in the top 10.

How is it that apple has 4 models in the top 10 and no other manufacturer has any? Wouldn't 10 minus 4 be 6, or have I become senile from posting too much on MacRumors?:confused: :p

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
How is it that apple has 4 models in the top 10 and no other manufacturer has any? Wouldn't 10 minus 4 be 6, or have I become senile from posting too much on MacRumors?:confused: :p

The desktop category didn't JUST have desktops unfortunately, as it would have made the best comparison. It also included software. However, the fact still remained that Apple sold the most computers and SOFTWARE beat out the other PC manufacturers to round out the top 10.

phillipjfry

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2006
Peace in Plainfield
The numbers might be somewhat inflated due to the long life cycles of apple products, but you can't spin this as bad news.

They bought an Apple product as opposed to HP/Dell/whatever.
Life-span and numbers taken into consideration, the best news is that they actually made the TOP of the list. not middle or bottom.

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
I wish I had more money to invest further. Don't worry this stock will split soon and then you might be able to buy a few shares.

Errr... You could buy a few when it splits, or buy one now. What's the difference? And if that's all you an buy, the price of the trade commission is going put you in a loss range for 10 years.

scu

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2005
Errr... You could buy a few when it splits, or buy one now. What's the difference? And if that's all you an buy, the price of the trade commission is going put you in a loss range for 10 years.

If one wanted to buy 50 shares but did not have $4K, then they could them after they split and went down to $35 a share for only $1750. When shares are priced lower they will increase much more rapidly, rather when they go up like google.

As for commission it should not cost more than about $20 per trade. Buy it and keep it for 5 years then sell them and you will be amazed how much many more aapl shares one has.:D

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
Don't wait for the shares to split, buy half the amount of shares you may have bought after the split, right now. You will save money buying before Macworld, and you will double the amount of shares you buy after the split happens.

cb31

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2005
If one wanted to buy 50 shares but did not have $4K, then they could them after they split and went down to $35 a share for only $1750. When shares are priced lower they will increase much more rapidly, rather when they go up like google.
I don't want to appear rude but that is absolute rubbish and I hope you are not following your own advice.

If it was really that easy, ie. split stocks so they increase in value faster, don't you think every company in the world would be doing this every day?

Also what is the difference in buying 50 shares at $40 = $2000, assuming a 2 for 1 split, or 25 shares at $80 = $2000? If they double in value in 10 years you will make the same amount of profit.

iJaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2004
Sad to see Zune coming up to #14 in the MP3 player category, last week it was at #20+ something.

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
Yep in general unless you know EXACTLY what you want (I bought my Macbook RAM from PC World), this is always true ;).

It is impressive that the top the bestseller list on Amazon, but if I was buying a PC online I'd probably go to Dell or another manufacturers website, but Amazon seem to offer a good discount on Macs.

My parents went to a PCWorld (Boston or Nottingham) and the salesman there said that Apple Macs were a lot harder to use than Windows PCs...

Then again these are the same people that don't look at reviews of consumer electronics before buying, despite the dozens of times I tell them that they should. Gah!
Nah, even if you know exactly what you want, PC World isn't always the best option. If you want the Mac for example, John Lewis every time, (unless you get Edu or want a BTO). 2 year guarantee on all computers and usually at least 1 or 2 people in all the time that have a reasonable working knowledge on Macs in all stores, (don't be put off if you don't get one of these first time, persist in asking questions they struggle to answer and they will eventually give up and get somebody else). Nottingham even better, I work there so I know our branch is littered with Mac owners and we usually have all in stock to take away.

Had a guy who rang just before Christmas who had been to PC World and asked them a couple of questions they just shrugged their shoulders at. Will Mac run Office? Yes and we sell it - followed by price list. Will my external hard drive for Windows work with a Mac? Yes, if it's FAT32 it will read and write, if it's NTFS it will read only. Any more questions?

Next day, first thing, he came in and picked up a 20" and a copy of Office for Mac from a colleague, (opened earlier than I started that day, just caught a glimpse of the details he was taking from him as I started work and thought "That's one message I rang back yesterday.")

jellomizer

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
Upstate NY
King of the hill.

My main worry if Apple becomes #1 Computer manufacturer is that quality will drop, to keep prices down to stay cost competitive. Already my MBP has more plastic then my old powerbook in the case. With the popularity of the current products major case redesigns are far fewer, and more and more parts are being made by third party manufactures. While any one of these things is not necessarily bad on its own it could create a sliding scale where quality will drop further. In the Mid 90s Gateway become the leader of the PCs because they were known for quality then by the late 90s their quality drop. Late 90's Early 2000's Dell was know for its quality and it become number one now Dell quality is questionable now it seems that Apple is taking Dells Place. So by 2012 who will be the next new king. HP, Acer? Well at least with Apple Gaining Market share it makes Software developers pay more attention to Cross Platform Development or Web Technologies.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Aww but I like my Mac being the underdog. I think Apple are in a very nice place at the moment, the local Apple stores are always full, they are respected and used in the industries. Just seems to be little kids online who have beef with them.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
I don't want to appear rude but that is absolute rubbish and I hope you are not following your own advice.

If it was really that easy, ie. split stocks so they increase in value faster, don't you think every company in the world would be doing this every day?

Also what is the difference in buying 50 shares at $40 = $2000, assuming a 2 for 1 split, or 25 shares at $80 = $2000? If they double in value in 10 years you will make the same amount of profit.
So very correct. :)

Just wish I had about 100 shares of Berkshire Hathaway stock. It closed at 111,500 yesterday. Up 34% for the past 52 weeks with an average of 27% per year for the past 10 years! :eek:

crobi

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2006
no sense

to topgunn and Sushi

Originally Posted by topgunn
Apple always tops the list because they typically have 3 or 4 iMacs that remain unchanged for 9 months. Compare this to the a1610n from HP at number 12. You can also buy the a1600n, a1620n, a1630n and a1640n. And in 2 weeks, the a1600 series will be replaced, if it hasn't been already.
Good point! The PC side does change more often.

That point make no sense, wathever if the product is there for 9 month, this best seller list is updated hourly, this is the sale for the last hour.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.