Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
That point make no sense, wathever if the product is there for 9 month, this best seller list is updated hourly, this is the sale for the last hour.

The list is UPDATED hourly.

That doesn't mean the results are from the last hour, it just means they've added the last hour's sales info into the list.

For all we know, the list goes back 6 months at a time; they don't make the period of time specific.

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
That point make no sense, wathever if the product is there for 9 month, this best seller list is updated hourly, this is the sale for the last hour.
Company A and Company B are direct competitors.
Company A has four products available at any given time that change every year.
Company B has twelve products available at any given time that change every three months.
Assume company B sells twice the number of total products as company A.
Assume the total products sold are distributed evenly among all the products available.
We are looking for the most number of sells for one unique product at given time intervals.

1 Mo ---- Company A = X ---- Company B = 2/3 X

6 Mo ---- Company A = 6X ---- Company B = 2 X

12 Mo ---- Company A = 12X ---- Company B = 2 X

Obviously this is a very simple example with some simple assumptions but you should get the idea. Even with a short sample period and half the total sells, the company with 1/3 fewer unique products sells more of each individual item than does the company with more items.

rtdunham

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2003
St. Petersburg, FL, Northern KY
...perhaps most impressive was Apple's domination of the Desktop category, with Apple placing 3 iMac models and 1 Mac Mini model with no other PC manufacturer placing in the top 10

can someone tell me how i'm reading this wrong? In a list of top 10 desktop computers, apple has 3 iMacs and 1 MacMini--and no other PC manufacturer has a model in that top ten? What, exactly, fills the other six top desktop slots?

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
can someone tell me how i'm reading this wrong? In a list of top 10 desktop computers, apple has 3 iMacs and 1 MacMini--and no other PC manufacturer has a model in that top ten? What, exactly, fills the other six top desktop slots?

As someone else pointed out earlier, it's accessories that are listed in the computer catagory (wirless routers, etc).

miketcool

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
California
Apple's is the world's 4th largest computer maker. According to the last few years' sale progression, it is expected this year that they will become the 3rd largest behind Dell and Gateway.

I'm not sure what your ignorance was based on, but I hope this has been helpful.

SARCASM'ED!

Hunabku

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2006
Turtle Island
I think the arguments about Apple product lifetime-cycle and number of models have less importance than many are attributing. The new models have not been out for that long and if you look at the top 12 desktops - apple has 7 of the 12 (see http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/electronics/565098/ref=pd_ts_e_nav/002-6222124-8389602)

That means that a wide span of apple models are selling wonderfully. I think a better explanation of what is going on here is that more people are finding out that buying macs from amazon is an excellent way to go.

scu

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2005
I don't want to appear rude but that is absolute rubbish and I hope you are not following your own advice.

If it was really that easy, ie. split stocks so they increase in value faster, don't you think every company in the world would be doing this every day?

Also what is the difference in buying 50 shares at $40 = $2000, assuming a 2 for 1 split, or 25 shares at $80 = $2000? If they double in value in 10 years you will make the same amount of profit.

You are not rude. And I do follow my own advise. I started off with 100 shares about 5 years ago in aapl and just kept buying. I now own over 1600 shares with a large part on margin. In one year I will have 3200. Apple split its stock to make it more affordable for the average joe while also increasing trading volume. I can not tell you how many people I run into who say, it is too expensive right now. Psychologically people want to buy many shares at lower prices, even though I agree with you about the value numbers.

At the rate that Apple is going this stock will split every 2 to 3 years if not sooner. When it does it usually comes down quite a bit initially. It went up to 90 before it split and then it came down to 35 post split.

First quarter numbers will blow everyone away.

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Nope, Apple will never sell more Computers then PC companies....

Well, in all fairness, Apple doesn't have as many models to sell as HP, Dell and the like have. So while HP and others see their sales spread out over several models, Apple has relatively few models to sell, so the models they do sell will sell in large numbers when compared to sales of some individual Dell or HP-model. If you looked at overall sales, Apple would still be trailing behind HP and others, even though some of their individual models are selling very, very well.

a456

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2005
Nope, Apple will never sell more Computers then PC companies....

They certainly sell a lot more computers than many individual PC manufacturers. They obviously don't sell more than the combined number of PCs sold however.

I wonder if their success on Amazon is the result of the "Vista Halo" or should we call it the "Vista Cloud", or is it as another post has suggested Apple's branding and the way they don't change the names of their computers to reflect small increases in processor speed and memory, etc., which works well on the Internet. Having said this though it looks like Amazon do return the ranking to zero when there are any changes to Mac models because the listings are processor, memory, etc. specific. Maybe we just have to confess that these machines are selling like hot cakes, as they deserve to be - Apple is having its 15 minutes after waiting 30 years for it to happen.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Interesting you bring up this point, because Apple used to be like this.

One of the first things Teh Steve did when he came back was declare it was unnecessarily confusing to consumers, and cut to the now (in) famous 4 products lines -- (consumer|pro) && (laptop || desktop)

Apparently there's another benefit, when measuring product sales for top 10 lists :)
Yep, at one time it was difficult for even the Mac evangelists to figure out which computer to recommend based upon someone's needs. Very confusing time for Apple and they loyal customers, let alone prospective new customers -- especially when the clones were added to the pot. Talk about confusing.

Now it is so much easier and better for the customer and Apple with the Pro and Consumer lines. :)

Mac2Core

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2006

It is confusing, but if you look at Amazon's Desktop category you see listed, All-in-ones, bundles, media centers, LCD Monitors, CRT monitors and PC mermory. However, when you explore the category, you will find external drives, power supply regulators, power adapters and servers as well.

k2k koos

macrumors 6502a
Mac Mini out of top 10, Mac PRO in on no 9!

There is a little shuffle going on, as of this moment, the mac mini, and the 24" iMac are out of the top 10 ( but only just), and a Mac Pro model is in the list on no 9. Also of note is that HP has managed to grab a spot in this top ten with one mini tower model.

GO APPLE!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.