Apple Trademarks 'Pages' and 'Shuffle'

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Two new trademarks showed up on the US Patent and Trademark Office registered by Apple Computer.

Pages and Shuffle

Pages is rumored to be the name of Apple's upcoming word processing application (part of iWork '05). Meanwhile, Shuffle is now said to be the name for the upcoming Flash iPod (which will only come in a 1GB size, according to the most recent ThinkSecret report).

Marketing banners advertising the new iPod were posted earlier today.

Wonder Boy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2003
South Windsor, CT
i don't care what the new mini pod is called as long as it works (no humming or fuzz throw the phones) and there is ample supply from the start. no more of this 3 month backlog of orders BS. the ipod is a hit, apple should know that by now. have those things ready to go!

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Looks like they are marketing this flash iPod on its limitations - something Steve Jobs has always been very open about. iPod Flash will struggle to fit even the smallest library on and so they have to come up with slogans like "life is random" and "shuffle" - you don't know what you might have on there. Good stuff Apple.

I'm still sceptical about the word processor but I might have to eat my hat when I return from work tomorrow...

BornAgainMac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
My Prediction...

I guess is that "Pages" will be a cross between MS Publisher and MS Word. It will allow you to build web pages and read / write Word documents. It will be used to create nicer looking documents compared to Word just like Keynote makes nicer looking presentations. It will complement Word and not replace it completely. People will complain that it is slow on older Macs and not as fast as Word 2004. Keynote 2 will be much faster than the original Keynote. Excel and Access replacements will happen in 2006 and the screen scrolling speed will be much improved with Pages 2.

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=vldlhu.5.13

Word Mark SHUFFLE

Goods and Services IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Computer hardware; computer software; prerecorded computer programs for personal information management; database management software; character recognition software; telephony management software; electronic mail and messaging software, paging software; database synchronization software; computer programs for accessing, browsing and searching online databases; computer operating system software; application development tool programs for personal and handheld computers; handheld electronic devices for the wireless receipt and/or transmission of data, particularly messages; handheld electronic devices with video, phone, messaging, photo capturing and audio transmission functionality; software for the synchronization of data between a remote station or device and a fixed or remote station or device; Portable digital electronic devices and software related thereto; handheld digital electronic devices and software related thereto; digital audio players, including digital music players, and software related thereto; digital video players and software related thereto; MP3 players and software related thereto; handheld computers; personal digital assistants; pagers; electronic organizers; electronic notepads

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=vldlhu.5.1

Word Mark PAGES

Goods and Services IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Computer hardware; computer software

kronos2611

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2004
I quite like the sound of iPod Shuffle - certainly sounds better than say iPod mini Extreme or iPod micra :)

Porchland

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2004
Georgia
The iPod Shuffle? Not getting much wood over the name. Makes me think of old men at a retirement home. Personally, I was hoping for iPod Sport and some over-the-ear-buds as the iPod for the gym.

Also, if there's no face, I'll likely opt for the iPod mini 5 GB when I decide to retire the 3G 15GB I'm using now; I don't like the four buttons above the wheel.

jamdr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2003
Bay Area
It's starting to sound more and more like the iPod flash is only going to be able to play random songs off a playlist. If it has no screen, there is no way to navigate a playlist and select the song you want. And if it's going to be called the iPod Shuffle, the name fits with this idea as well. I don't really like it, but then again I never really considered getting a 1GB iPod. I'd much rather have a new 5GB iPod mini.

As for Pages, well, it's about time. Unfortunately, I bought Microsoft Office long ago since AppleWorks was so outdated. I don't really see myself buying another office suite. However, I will be very interested if it has a good Drawing component, like in AppleWorks. Office lacks something like this, and I used to use it all the time. Basically, it's like a mini page-layout application. Word may technically have this functionality but its insistence on formatting everything as it sees fit makes it unusable.

autrefois

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2003
Somewhere in the USA
FreeState said:
http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=vldlhu.5.13

Word Mark SHUFFLE

Goods and Services IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Computer hardware; computer software; prerecorded computer programs for personal information management; database management software; character recognition software; telephony management software; electronic mail and messaging software, paging software; database synchronization software; computer programs for accessing, browsing and searching online databases; computer operating system software; application development tool programs for personal and handheld computers; handheld electronic devices for the wireless receipt and/or transmission of data, particularly messages; handheld electronic devices with video, phone, messaging, photo capturing and audio transmission functionality; software for the synchronization of data between a remote station or device and a fixed or remote station or device; Portable digital electronic devices and software related thereto; handheld digital electronic devices and software related thereto; digital audio players, including digital music players, and software related thereto; digital video players and software related thereto; MP3 players and software related thereto; handheld computers; personal digital assistants; pagers; electronic organizers; electronic notepads

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=vldlhu.5.1
Wow—the new iPod can do just about everything!! :D

Bob Dobbs

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
California
isnt Dec. 6th 2004 a bit late to trademark a name for an item you have in production? i would imagine that there woudl be tons of 'em trademarked a while back.

eSnow

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2004
I have a hard time believing you can trademark "Pages" - wouldn't it have to be "Mac Pages" or "Apple Pages"?

Xgreed

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2004
Morph Pad?

Word Mark
MORPH PAD

Goods and Services
IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Computer hardware and software; computer software for use in authoring, editing, synthesizing, encoding, decoding, playing, storing and organizing audio data

Standard Characters Claimed

Mark Drawing Code
(4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK

Serial Number

Filing Date
January 15, 2004

Current Filing Basis
1B

Original Filing Basis
1B

Owner
(APPLICANT) Apple Computer, Inc. CORPORATION CALIFORNIA 1 Infinite Loop Cupertino CALIFORNIA 95014

Attorney of Record
Thomas R. La Perle

Type of Mark
TRADEMARK

Register
PRINCIPAL

Live/Dead Indicator
LIVE

feeze

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2004
Bathurst, Australia
Card Game

Maybe Shuffle is actually a card game, say solitare. Afterall isn't solitare the only thing windows is good for, that's all I ever see windows user's being productive at. Afterall it is THE GAMING PLATFORM :p