APPLE: "Try before you buy"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WhySoSerious, Aug 6, 2010.

1. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

It's just another outlet for demos/lite versions of apps/games. Apparently people didn't realize there was a "Top Free" button in most categories.

2. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

i agree with the article that apple should offer up a return policy like android does. buy an app and you have 24 hours to return it for a full refund.

god knows, i would have like to have returned quite a few apps in my day... :(

3. Makaveliarts macrumors 6502

4. xmtgx macrumors regular

I agree, I report alot of the apps as accidently purchased and they refund me the money most of the time, but why should I have to go though that process when there should just be a return policy.

5. Snowman3459 macrumors 6502a

They didn't really add a new feature to the app store. Just put all the Lite versions into a category.

Disappointment really. Like Gizmodo said, they need trial periods for paid apps. I don't agree with them saying 24 hours. But, at least an hour. It can even be 10 minutes on some of them.

6. RichBrewski macrumors member

I disagree. If that Were the case, most kids would just buy a game, beat it, and return it. If you made the decision to buy an app before reading the reviews, I think it should be your mistake if your app was garbage. Hell, I'm sure everyone would just buy the navi app, use it, return it, and repeat the same process whenever they needed a navi system. I do think, however, there should be an extensive return process to return your app for a full refund.

7. chembox macrumors 6502a

If you could beat a game in less than a day, I think that says a lot about the app.

The best thing you can do before buying the app is search on YouTube for a video demonstration on it.

8. MCRunning macrumors 6502

Bout time, some of these apps are absolutely rip offs

9. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Hold on! Just because you can beat a game in a day DOESN'T mean it's a bad game, I think most gamers could tell you that. A lot of people beat games in a day. I used to sit and play Sonic The Hedgehog 1, 2, 3, Sonic & Knuckles, etc. Those games are probably as simple as they get, levels taking only 50 seconds to 5 minutes to complete, yet they're releasing Sonic 4: Episode 1 later this year for the iPhone, etc. Simple game, but a legendary history/fanbase behind it!

10. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Too bad there is not some way to code a 24 hour try it once on an account into all Apps.

11. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

What about a trial system like this:

1. you download the app at full price
    2. the developer codes in how many times you are allowed to load the app before it becomes locked (let's say 3 times)
    3. user opens app once, then closes it; user opens app second time, then closes it; user opens app third time then closes it.
    4. upon attempting to open the app the fourth time, a confirmation bubble pops up informing the user that they waiver their right to a full refund if they continue. user then can tap "ok" and keep using the app they paid for with no chance of a refund, or they can tap "deny" and get a full refund.

sounds like a winner to me

12. Snowman3459 macrumors 6502a

That's why a disagree with a large time limit.

I say for a game, make it 20 minutes. No one is going to beat a game in 20 minutes, especially if they've never played it before.

But I think with other things such as productivity, utilities, and photography apps, there should be an hour time limit. If you like it, your gonna buy it.

I don't know how books would work though...maybe the first chapter? lol

13. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

no....stop thinking about "time limits". make it how many times the user LOADS the app. give the user...say...3 times to load it before a confirmation prompts them.

14. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I like this idea.

15. Snowman3459 macrumors 6502a

I'm sorry, I forgot that apps never crash...right? You opened it didn't you? Maybe it's a GREAT app. But it closes the first time you open it. You HAVE to exit out the second time for some reason, and the same with the third. I'm pretty sure saving it in your multitasking bar isn't considered just one use...

It wouldn't work as well as it sounds.

16. chembox macrumors 6502a

What if you SSH into your iPhone and steal the .IPA file before it self-destructs?

17. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

it would work, stop trying to be a pessimist. if the app crashes that many times on you, do you want it or would you like your money back till the developer fixes it? and the developer can code in how many "loads" you get...it's not just set at 3. they can make it 10 for all we know.

18. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Amen! to that as well...

19. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

I can only think off the top of my head 2 apps I'd love to strangle the developer:

CarSpotter and Battery Doctor Pro...

But more on topic, this is something that I bet 90% of the iOS community would love to have, but knowing Apple I doubt will become a focus of theirs anytime soon.

20. urbanj macrumors regular

+1

I'm new to the iPhone world. Had a Blackberry before and NEVER paid for an app cause I already knew they all sucked.

Now with the huge ecosystem in app world it's so hard to know what is crap or not. Some stuff doesn't even have a free version and if they do they take out most of good stuff you'd want from the app in the first place. Everyone is different so what is a good review for one is a bad review for others.

That being said, I've had the phone a week and have been download happy :)

21. Snowman3459 macrumors 6502a

Your example was 3 my friend, I'm basing this off of 3 load times. Btw I don't know how this makes me pessimistic, just more a realist. You get a phone call, there goes 1 load time. You get a important text message that you must reply to, there goes another load. You now have 1 left, hope your not busy.

Maybe you don't get a lot of phone calls or texts but I do. And I'd really hate to pay for an app that is based off of load times.

Like I said, it sounds great, but it wouldn't work as well as planned.

22. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

It's not even that. They don't include all the Lite versions of all apps, just 98 that they somehow handpicked. I'm sure there are far more than just 98 Lite/Free apps in the app store.

I like Angry Birds, but hasn't it gotten enough attention already? I'm hoping Apple finds a way to give some of us smaller developers more of a chance of being seen.

I'm not bitter though. ;) :D

23. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

i'm not a developer, but i'm sure a developer could work something into their app to recognize an actual user close verus and app closing because of a call/text/etc.

24. Snowman3459 macrumors 6502a

Well, they just showed off the ones that also have a paid version to them.

That would be a good idea, I just don't know if Apple would allow a developer to do that. Maybe, who knows.