Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aloft085

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2014
Wish they had used Safire, my screen has a massive scratch across the entire screen where it slid across a wooden floor...

$109. I paid to get mine fixed last week. Small price to pay to not have to stare at a giant scratch for 1-2 years.

Lucky736

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
US
Exactly. This is how a company acts with Integrity. Well done Apple.

Lol @ integrity. It's funny how the people who have NO IDEA how Apple operates other than reading an article on MR or WSJ chime in with uneducated and baseless comments like this only bc they are fanboys at best.

LOL.

This is spin by Apple, not integrity. Apple did not pay the last installment of the pre-payment it seems to have agreed to make so that GT will build a plant for Apple's exclusive use.

Apple seems to have pushed GT into a corner and GT called Apple's bluff.

Other producers did not agree to Apple's terms, so now Apple can't go back to them, unless it makes concessions in its proposals. Since these concessions are likely to be more costly to Apple than continuing with the GT contract, Apple appears to be backpedaling now.

Apple seems to have also burned bridges with Corning, since it is using Gorilla glass from smaller suppliers in the iPhone 6.

Exactly. Even Corning has had enough and Apple is basically the reason they are still around from years back. Sad but true.

Hold up. Apple are the reason GT are in this mess.

Apple: "we will loan you $500m for new equipment to make sapphire for out phones"

GT: "ok"

Apple: "you can't sell the sapphire to anyone else, only us"

GT: "ok, we will give you exclusive access because of the loan."

Apple: "we don't want your sapphire now, and you aren't allowed to sell it to anyone else."

GT: "WTF! How are we supposed to make money?"

Not sure about the inability to sell to others, however they certainly had a plan for more than the bulk of what they were doing to goto Apple it seems. Waaaaay too much reliance on one project, and then the rug gets pulled out from under them and poof.... where we are now.

so much for all the nutjob "theories" that apple was trying to screw them, shut them down, buy them, whatever.

Again. It's funny how the people who have NO IDEA how Apple operates other than reading an article on MR or WSJ chime in with uneducated and baseless comments like this only bc they are fanboys at best.

Wish there was a Kool-Aid icon. :rolleyes:

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
How is this integrity? Forcing them into an exclusivity deal is part of the problem.

if they had been allowed to provide product for other suppliers they may have been able to stay solvent without having to cheat by going through Chapter 11.

They asked for exclusivity in exchange for lending them over $500 million to build out a plant for making the sapphire in the first place. That's entirely reasonable. The problem isn't that they can't sell the sapphire. The issue is that they seem to not be able to produce enough of it in as high a quality as Apple needs.

Mums

Suspended
Oct 4, 2011
Hold up. Apple are the reason GT are in this mess.

Apple: "we will loan you $500m for new equipment to make sapphire for out phones"

GT: "ok"

Apple: "you can't sell the sapphire to anyone else, only us"

GT: "ok, we will give you exclusive access because of the loan."

Apple: "we don't want your sapphire now, and you aren't allowed to sell it to anyone else."

GT: "WTF! How are we supposed to make money?"

Yeah exactly - this is just more evidence that Apple is not Apple any more.

jake1776

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
Idaho
My Wife Hits it on the Head

My wife and I are new investors---so wouldn't you know it that the first major investment we ever make was at $18 a share in a little company called GTAT.

Recouped a little bit of my losses the day after Armageddon hit ... but today, not so much. My wife just made an interesting comment. She said, "Maybe Apple wants to buy them after driving them into this bad position... but Apple can't because it will freak out every future Apple supplier pretty much forever. NOBODY will ever trust Apple again. On the other hand, Apple cannot let them go bankrupt (chapter 7) because then Apple loses its money (yes, I know that 600 million is chunk change to Apple... but it's still money). So she says, perhaps this is the middle ground. Don't buy them because you can't scare the crap out of other future suppliers ... but don't let them die on the vine either. Instead, just work with GTAT and keep them afloat. Then appear to be the reasonable partner in the relationship.

brsboarder

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2004
Good guy apple? They are just trying to cover themselves, in hopes that saphire works out. Right now they don't have too much differentiating them.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Did you even read the article. Apple withheld the last loan payment because GT DIDN'T MEET ITS CONTRACTUAL OBLIGATIONS.

Instead of moving on to another sapphire partner or partners (which Apple certainly could have done) and demanding GT repay the loan, Apple is sticking it out.

You can say it's "spin" all you want, but these are simply the facts.

And where are all the sources for your other claims? Would love to see them.

Apple is sticking it out likely because withdrawing now would mean losing every cent of their initial investment without having anything to show for it, and because no other company can provide the quantities they need. So it's in their best interests to make sure GT doesn't go belly-up yet.

It's a purely business decision, no more or less.

UpperQuadrant

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2014
"s part of its loan agreement, Apple was entitled to ask GT Advanced for repayment if its cash holdings fell below $125 million, but Apple has opted not to demand repayment."

If they don't have the money, then why ask?

Something still sounds a little weird on this deal.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
People are making a lot of assumptions on the relationship between GT and Apple, with the so called facts only based on rumors. And GT is getting hammered here. Naturally Apple is the innocent good guy.

It's never been confirmed that the iphone 6 was suppose to have sapphire glass, this could be a deal around the watch or any other product.

Nor do we know what the technical obligation was that GT failed to deliver on time.

I'm sure the details will come out in time.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
They asked for exclusivity in exchange for lending them over $500 million to build out a plant for making the sapphire in the first place. That's entirely reasonable. The problem isn't that they can't sell the sapphire. The issue is that they seem to not be able to produce enough of it in as high a quality as Apple needs.

Exclusivity deals are very dangerous when your the little guy.

Especially when they lend you money. Like being stuck in a mortgage

Ronm01

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2013
Great PR for good guy Apple. They will remain the darlings while Same-song burns & shrivels! :p

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta

hahaha... yeah so dangerous you might make a quick 10 mil on it personally before declaring bankrupcy :rolleyes:

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Yay! Good guy Apple

good guy apple?

if it was any other company you can bet they wouldnt do the same.

the $500 million is an investment for potential future product differentiation that can potentially earn Apple billions - sapphire screens.

not good guy apple... smart guy apple....but in this case also bad luck apple.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Great PR for good guy Apple. They will remain the darlings while Same-song burns & shrivels! :p

How is this good PR? Forget about the repaying the loan part for now, that's a PR move . GT still owes them 500 million +

A company Apple went into business is going bankrupt . That is good PR?

----------

hahaha... yeah so dangerous you might make a quick 10 mil on it personally before declaring bankrupcy :rolleyes:

That's just the owner.

How about all the people set to lose jobs smartarse??? You think that is funny? Working for a company that goes bankrupt can be hell on families .

What about investors that lose thier money . ??

Pathetic !

rmatthewware

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2009
Why would you sign an exclusive contract with a company with no guarantee they would buy your product? I don't care if it's Apple and I don't care if they're trying to do the right thing. Maybe GT was blinded by dollar signs and promises of massive wealth, but I would have a hard time signing a contract so heavily weighted against me.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
Apple is sticking it out likely because withdrawing now would mean losing every cent of their initial investment without having anything to show for it, and because no other company can provide the quantities they need. So it's in their best interests to make sure GT doesn't go belly-up yet.

It's a purely business decision, no more or less.

Really? It sounds to me like they have a chance to acquire GTAT on the cheap if they just call in GTAT's loan repayment.

Not sure why they would shore them up at this point, unless other creditors have superior rights relative to Apple. Then I guess Apple would shore them up for the time being.

rmatthewware

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2009
How is this good PR? Forget about the repaying the loan part for now, that's a PR move . GT still owes them 500 million +

----------

That's just the owner.

How about all the people set to lose jobs smartarse??? You think that is funny? Working for a company that goes bankrupt can be hell on families .

Pathetic !

I know a guy who worked at Enron. He was just about ready to retire when the scandal broke, the stock crashed, and a huge chunk of his investments went up in flames. These are the kinds of real people that get hurt in the shuffle. I'm not saying anyone did anything against the law, but real people, hard working, loyal to their company, can't expect that same loyalty back anymore.

Ronm01

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2013

----------

That's just the owner.

Pathetic !

It's good spin, too... sour apples :D

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
LOL.

This is spin by Apple, not integrity. Apple did not pay the last installment of the pre-payment it seems to have agreed to make so that GT will build a plant for Apple's exclusive use.

Apple seems to have pushed GT into a corner and GT called Apple's bluff.

Other producers did not agree to Apple's terms, so now Apple can't go back to them, unless it makes concessions in its proposals. Since these concessions are likely to be more costly to Apple than continuing with the GT contract, Apple appears to be backpedaling now.

Apple seems to have also burned bridges with Corning, since it is using Gorilla glass from smaller suppliers in the iPhone 6.

Yeap, it's pretty easy to smell a rat with this whole issue with Apple smack bang in the middle of it! Give it a few more weeks or months and Apple will basically either own their ass, or will have bought them for utter peanuts. It's underhand and legal and goes on every day in the corporate world.

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
What garbage. Gorilla Glass is a Corning product. Getting it from a smaller supplier is like having Pepsi supply your Coca Cola.

Do you actually know what Gorilla Glass is?

It's ion-strenghtened glass.

Do you know what Apple is using on the iPhone 6?

Ion-strenghtened glass. Just not provided by Corning.

As to the GT agreement, here are some details on the deal (the prepayment is NOT a loan):

http://seekingalpha.com/news/1383152-apple-strikes-sapphire-furnace-supply-deal-with-gt-advanced

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

Nobody forced them into the agreement. They could have stuck to their original business model and let Apple make an agreement with someone else.

----------

"s part of its loan agreement, Apple was entitled to ask GT Advanced for repayment if its cash holdings fell below $125 million, but Apple has opted not to demand repayment."

If they don't have the money, then why ask?

Something still sounds a little weird on this deal.

Acceleration clauses are pretty common in debt deals. In some cases, they enable creditors to force a company into Chapter 11 if they determine that's the best way to recover their loans.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
I'm pretty sure GT made enough (remember the bill of lading from China to California article?) but the Chinese factory couldn't convert it into screens like Apple wanted.

Yeah. I'm sure that's what happened. And then GT, who had fulfilled their contract wouldn't threaten to sue Apple for reneging on the deal. Instead they'd quietly file bankruptcy...:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.