Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moxxham

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2015
Sydney, Australia
hey guys,

Does anyone know if ATV 4 support wifi direct? We just moved apartment, and it's going to take 2 weeks to get the Internet set up in the new place. I have heaps of content on my iPP and iPhone, but the new ATV doesn't seem to allow me to stream it. I know that the Apple TV 3 supports AirPlay without wifi.

Am I missing something, or does ATV 4 just not support it?

Thanks!

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
The ATV 4 supports half of the things the 3 did. They just added bluetooth keyboards and Remote App compatibility. Give it more time.

Just like with the PS4.
One example : I could not change my PSN avatar when I bought it. This feauture was added after 2 years. I could do this with the PS3 since day one.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
An ad-hoc network is probably what you are looking for, but IIRC, the problem with ad-hoc networks is that you can only have two devices connected to each other.

There is another possible option--you can also have Wi-Fi with no Internet. Just get your Wi-Fi Cable modem now (or whatever to match your service, if not cable), and you have a Wi-Fi network that can connect multiple devices. Come time to get cable, you can use your existing equipment instead of renting it from the cable company and over time you'll save money anyway.

Gueeds

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2015
I tried it from my 6+ to ATV4 when my internet went out, it worked, but it worked really poorly. Not sure if it was from signal interference or the devices were to far away or just way too much to make my phone do. I was trying to stream Netflix.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.