Apple TV 4 pauses when streaming movies from Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Resident Guru, Oct 31, 2015.

1. Resident Guru macrumors member

When streaming movies stored on my Mac Mini using the computer option I get pauses in playback. I had no such issues with my ATV3. This is connected via wired gigabit. I have tried rebooting both my ATV and my Mac Mini which did not help. My Mac and iTunes are both fully updated. It happens on both iTunes purchased movies and movies that I have encoded to m4v format in iTunes. When playing via the SimpleX app I have no issues. I also have no problems playing anything back that streams over the internet. Has anyone else come across this issue?

2. xsmett macrumors member

I exactly have the same problem. Its buffering a lot when streaming with homesharing from my mac mini. Never had this problem with the atv3. It seems like the video cache was a lot bigger and better in the atv3.

When i use simpleX with Force Direct Play i have the problem too, just if i turn Direct Play off everything works fine with simpleX.

You found a solution so far?

3. Resident Guru thread starter macrumors member

I have not. It is inconsistent in that sometimes it will playback just fine while other times it will not.

4. xsmett macrumors member

Yes, same here. The ATV3 loads 8GB in the video chache. The ATV4 seems to load just a bit in front.

5. Resident Guru thread starter macrumors member

I'm running a 32gb unit. I decided on that because I don't do mobile gaming. I wonder if the issue is model specific?

6. rich1574 macrumors newbie

Nope - have the 64GB model and streaming from anything is pretty crap. Have found that turning off mirroring when streaming from my iPad works slightly better, but Amazon videos crashes when you do that...

7. xsmett macrumors member

Im wondering that it seems like not many users have those problems with streaming cause you dont find a lot of complaints about it. The only way i get my movies streamed without buffering is with simplex in transcoding mode. Hope someone finds the bug.

By the way. Airplay streaming from my iPhone works pretty well.

8. Resident Guru thread starter macrumors member

I took delivery of my second Apple TV 4 yesterday and the same thing is happening. It now only appears to happen on iTunes purchased movies playing via home streaming from my Mac Mini.

9. timmahh macrumors newbie

What are your connection specs and setup?

I.e.

Are you wired or wireless?
    What's your wired connection speed?
    What's your wireless speed and spec?
    How is your mini connected to the network?

10. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

Also have the same and with music too. i have the 64GB model.
    i read someone yesterday posted the device only has a 100MB NIC.

Have you tried running it over WiFi?

11. xsmett macrumors member

I run two ATV4 aswell. One wired, and the other is on wifi. Same problem with both of them. Kind of giving up right now.

12. Resident Guru thread starter macrumors member

I am on a wired gigabit network with a latest generation Airport Extreme Time Capsule and a 2014 Mac Mini. Everything is hard wired. My internet speed is 100Mb Down and 10Mb Up. Happens when set to either wired or wireless.

13. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

You said same problem with iTunes Purchased Movies. You have 100mb down so of course you could stream iTunes Purchased Movies from Apple Servers (which is what I do all the time with my 75/75 speed). I have zero problems. I have not stream from Home Sharing in a very long time. Do you have any problem stream from Apple Servers. If not, then I expect the problem to be somewhere on your Mac Mini. Your LAN Speed is great. And I expect you will be using it to get to the Internet to connect to Apple. So, if true then that would kind of rule everything out except iTunes on your Mac. Anyway, good luck.

14. Resident Guru thread starter macrumors member

It's the Apple TV that's the problem, not my Mac Mini. My old Apple TV's streamed content from my Mac Mini perfectly. I can stream fine from Apple's servers. However, I don't want to go to two different places to watch my movies.

15. xsmett macrumors member

Seems like we have almost the same setup. ATV, Airport Extreme (latest Generation), Mac Mini. All of them are Apple products. Strange. As mentioned, ATV3 working fine with same setup.

The only good news are: We are not alone! I have read in other forums from other people having the same issues.

Would be great if u keep me informed, when u found a solution for this.

16. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

I'm finding that my iPhone-shot HD home movies are streaming more solidly and dependably from my notebook (wi-fi) to my ATV4 (ethernet) via Home Sharing than any previous Apple TV I've ever owned. In fact, I'd say this is one of the greatest improvements that Apple has made to the product.

I have a 64GB model, not sure if that makes a difference.

BJ

17. timmahh macrumors newbie

FWIW, your gig connection to the ATV doesn't matter, it's only a 100mbps Ethernet port. I have a similar setup.

SB6141 --Gig Eth--> Linksys Wireless AC w/ Gig switch --> Home server, PS3 hardwire

Previously my ATV2 was on Ethernet, due to the slow wireless, but now I've got it on AC since it exceeds the Ethernet port speed. Internet is 200/50, but unfortunately my cable modem only uses 8 bonded channels instead of 16 which is.. another issue and not related.

ATV Connection should be as follows, provided wireless interference isn't an issue:

If your router is Wireless AC, use Wireless (>100 mbps)
    If your router is newer Wireless N, use Wireless (>100 mbps)
    If your router is Wireless B or older, use Ethernet (<100 mbps)

If you tried this already, sorry, but what happens when the ATV is on Wireless (if it's fast) and the mini is on gig eth? I am wondering if it's a bandwidth issue locally.

18. Resident Guru thread starter macrumors member

It is not a local bandwidth issue. Regardless of the ATV only being 100Mb streaming a 1080p iTunes encode would never come close to saturation. I have a Time Capsule AC router in the same room as my living room ATV and the same thing happens over wireless. Again, when streaming from Apple over the internet I have no issues. It only occurs when playing from my Mac Mini. Again, I did not have this problem with my 3rd Gen ATV.

19. mountainman macrumors member

mountainman

I am having the same issue with my 32GB ATV 4. Streaming through home sharing from a Retina iMac connected via wired Gig. I tried the ATV 4 on WiFi via Airport Extreme AC (latest gen), buffering was horrible. Tried again with the ATV 4 connected via wired 100Mb (to a Gig switch), started buffering initially and stuttered a couple of more times during the movie but seemed to work better than the WiFi. This never happened with my ATV 3 either on WiFi or wired. Definitely seems to be a problem with the ATV 4. I like the features and function of the ATV 4 but this buffering will become a big problem.

There are no bandwidth issues at all. No WiFi channel issues and all other ATVs (I have 2 ATV 3s also) are working without issue on WiFi &/or wired.

20. Resident Guru thread starter macrumors member

Has anyone updated to 9.0.1 to see if it has fixed home sharing? I won't be home until later to test.

21. xsmett, Nov 9, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2015

xsmett macrumors member

No fix for me. Same problems.

Im still wondering why the progress bar loads a lot of content in front when streaming directly from itunes store, but doesnt work that way when streaming with homesharing. It was all so easy with the ATV3.

22. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

I have this issue with the official Plex app. The exact same movie plays flawlessly on my Samsung TV Plex client but streaming via Plex on the ATV4, it will stream flawlessly for a good few minutes then have a 15-30 second period of choppy video. This is over AC Wireless with the ATV and router in the same room. The iOS Plex client on my iPad can stream the same movie further away from the router flawlessly. I'm going to hook them up via Ethernet tomorrow evening to do a final test but if it is the same the. It is going back.
    This is a 32gb model but I doubt that has any bearing on things.

23. MrTemple macrumors regular

Same problem here.
    Noticed it first in Plex, thought it was an issue with that app, but switched over to the Computers app and HomeSharing had identical problems.

Same setup had no trouble with the ATV3. I've even tested a few of the same movie files I recently watched problem-free on the 3, and the problem occurred.

Definitely a bug.

24. MrTemple macrumors regular

Actually, there's another difference. I'm now connecting the ATV4 via 802.11ac wireless instead of wired, as I had the ATV3.

I live in the woods and there are no other networks around, plus the AirPort Extreme is about 3 feet away with clear line-of-sight.

Also, the Mac I'm streaming from has always been connected via wireless ac, which was fine for the ATV3.

Finally I've been watching a bunch of HD content from Netflix, NowTV, HBO, etc, which streams flawlessly from the net.

So, I don't think there's any reason why the wireless connection should matter. That said I'm going to try the Ethernet connection.

Interestingly, there's another thread on here which describes their Mac not returning to sleep after starting a movie via HomeSharing (as it did via ATV3 and via the iPad). Perhaps there's something in the h264 streaming code on the ATV4 (remember the same problem exists when streaming locally via Plex) which isn't caching the whole movie upon starting it.

The only reason I went with the wireless is so that if have much faster streaming of HomeSharing content, so I'm hoping Apple will fix this.

25. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

I see networking is mentioned in the release notes for the 9.1 beta. Does anyone know if it resolves this issue? I still get it when connected via Ethernet so planning on returning the ATV 4 unless it is resolved.