Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mmm1345

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 8, 2017
Ever since the 11.02 patch a few months ago, my AppleTV will not play 5.1 Audio on a consistent basis. I hear audio scrolling through the navigation menu and when I'm in the iTunes Extras menu, but when I click to play something nothing happens. None of the updates have fixed the issue, when I play the video there's no sound. It only seems to work after I unplug the HDMI cable a few times or do unplug the power cable. At first I was scared it was my Soundbar or TV, but it works with all other devices and I discovered last week that switch to stereo it works perfectly fine.

Is this only happening to me?

JasonHB

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2010
Warwickshire, UK
What sound bar do you have?

I only ask because there’s no point playing 5.1 if it is only a stereo sound bar. It may be that either the TV or sound bar don’t decode and down sample 5.1

Jason

mmm1345

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 8, 2017
What sound bar do you have?

I only ask because there’s no point playing 5.1 if it is only a stereo sound bar. It may be that either the TV or sound bar don’t decode and down sample 5.1

Jason

I have a Sony Soundbase and yes it does decode and downsample 5.1. It works on every device I own (PS4, Xbox, Roku, Shield, blah, blah) and has always worked with my Apple TV. It just stopped working with one of the million patches that apple has been releasing lately.

Reactions: JasonHB

JasonHB

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2010
Warwickshire, UK
I have a Sony Soundbase and yes it does decode and downsample 5.1. It works on every device I own (PS4, Xbox, Roku, Shield, blah, blah) and has always worked with my Apple TV. It just stopped working with one of the million patches that apple has been releasing lately.

Sorry, didn’t mean to sound patronising. Frustrating I bet.

The Apple TV hasn’t defaulted to Linear PCM rather than DolbtbFigital has it?

Jason

Mr. Zarniwoop

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
Ever since the 11.02 patch a few months ago, my AppleTV will not play 5.1 Audio on a consistent basis. I hear audio scrolling through the navigation menu and when I'm in the iTunes Extras menu, but when I click to play something nothing happens. None of the updates have fixed the issue, when I play the video there's no sound. It only seems to work after I unplug the HDMI cable a few times or do unplug the power cable. At first I was scared it was my Soundbar or TV, but it works with all other devices and I discovered last week that switch to stereo it works perfectly fine.

Is this only happening to me?

Same here. Only since 11.2.

Unplugging HDMI or unplugging my TV from power (LG C7 where Apple TV 4K is HDMI1) and plugging back in always fixes it. It’s intermittent and might work one day and need the unplug/plug fix the next.

Symptom is my Denon AVR (via HDMI2/ARC) never switches to Dolby Digital 5.1 and thinks it’s a PCM stereo 2.0 signal even though DD 5.1 content is playing. The result is silence.

Using the Belkin 4K/DV HDMI cable for the Apple TV 4K that Apple recommends.

mmm1345

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 8, 2017
Sorry, didn’t mean to sound patronising. Frustrating I bet.

The Apple TV hasn’t defaulted to Linear PCM rather than DolbtbFigital has it?

Jason

No, you weren't patronizing. I appreciate the help. For now it's fine on stereo mode, but I just want to get it fixed. I was going to replace it, but Apple doesn't even have any of 64gb models for sell on its site.
[doublepost=1512907238][/doublepost]
Same here. Only since 11.2.

Unplugging HDMI or unplugging my TV from power (LG C7 where Apple TV 4K is HDMI1) and plugging back in always fixes it. It’s intermittent and might work one day and need the unplug/plug fix the next.

Symptom is my Denon AVR (via HDMI2/ARC) never switches to Dolby Digital 5.1 and thinks it’s a PCM stereo 2.0 signal even though DD 5.1 content is playing. The result is silence.

Using the Belkin 4K/DV HDMI cable for the Apple TV 4K that Apple recommends.

I have the same C7! At first I really thought my HDMI ports were "failing." I tried several different HDMI cables. I would unplug several times and change different ports, eventually the ATV would work. Now it doesn't unless I unplug the power cable from the ATV. I even tried a hard reset a few days ago and that didn't work. Only unplugging did. Then it'll work all day for a few days until I go without using it for a couple of days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.