Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chunter1001

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
Installed my ATV4K last night. Ran into a recurring issue where the Dolby Vision badge randomly appears which causes a slight stutter in playback when listening to music. Sometimes the screen will go black during this.

My tv is a 2017 LG C7. Playback selected is 4k DV at 60Hz.

Anybody else experiencing this? The HDMI cable is a new high-speed Amazon cable with 18 Gbps capability. Use the same cables for Xbox One S and 4K DTV boxes.

thomasfxlt58

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2014
Installed my ATV4K last night. Ran into a recurring issue where the Dolby Vision badge randomly appears which causes a slight stutter in playback when listening to music. Sometimes the screen will go black during this.

Anybody else experiencing this? The HDMI cable is a new high-speed Amazon cable with 18 Gbps capability. Use the same cables for Xbox One S and 4K DTV boxes.

Change your output setting to 4k/24hz or 4k/30 for DV on the ATV 4k. It should do this automatically but apparently it doesn’t yet.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Mono price premium certified support 18gbps which is what you need. They start at a few bucks. I have several.
Could you link this cable please? I’m terrified of buying the wrong one, as I’m having issues with cables too I think.

chunter1001

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
Glad to hear that. I'm having the same problem. Which cable were you successful with?
I had a spare of the Amazon Basics High Speed HDMI (current HDMI version). Just swapped it out, and it worked flawlessly. Not sure what could have happened to the one I replaced.

Reactions: Donfor39

Stvevio

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2017

Hey, so I have a OLED 55" E6 and when I watch Netflix through the tv and select a Dolby Vision movie the Dolby Vision drop-down appears in the corner as I'm sure you're aware. But when I play the exact movie through Apple TV the Dolby Vision doesn't kick in.
So what's the optimal setting you've decided on? I like the HDR but is DV the better way? My only concern is there's only a couple movies in DV so would I be forcing the display to show everything in DV is I change my ATV to DV?

Wish it just automatically selected the appropriate display when selecting .....

peppespizzapie

Suspended
Jul 5, 2010

I had the same. Altough i bought all new HDMI 4K cables, some of the brands SAY it's for 4K, they arent. I replaced the HDMI cable and have no problems anymore.

chunter1001

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
So this problem came back. It was noticeable during music playback every once in a while there would be a pause in the music and then the Dolby Vision logo appeared in the upper righthand corner of the screen. After chatting with Apple Support, I exchanged the Amazon Basics high speed cable (which should work) with the Apple-approved Belkin.

This issue disappeared. However, when I went through the Reset Video Settings and then try to turn Dolby Vision back on, I get a completely red screen. Then, then the confirm change screen is scrambled. However, if I go back and try again, it works fine. Any ideas what could be causing this?

TexaClone

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2017
So this problem came back. It was noticeable during music playback every once in a while there would be a pause in the music and then the Dolby Vision logo appeared in the upper righthand corner of the screen. After chatting with Apple Support, I exchanged the Amazon Basics high speed cable (which should work) with the Apple-approved Belkin.

This issue disappeared. However, when I went through the Reset Video Settings and then try to turn Dolby Vision back on, I get a completely red screen. Then, then the confirm change screen is scrambled. However, if I go back and try again, it works fine. Any ideas what could be causing this?
I would try the Monoprice cable and check your cable length. If you are over 6 feet, you might have something causing interference.

chunter1001

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
I would try the Monoprice cable and check your cable length. If you are over 6 feet, you might have something causing interference.
Thanks! You're helping me out over on AVS Forum, too. I've got the 6-ft Belkin, but will try the 6-ft Monoprice.

Reactions: TexaClone

Patrick Turner

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2017

Yesterday's OLED C7 Firmware update has fixed this problem for me. (Re: the intermittent red screen problem when starting Dolby Vision).

chunter1001

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
Yesterday's OLED C7 Firmware update has fixed this problem for me. (Re: the intermittent red screen problem when starting Dolby Vision).
Great to hear it! Do you have pixel shift enabled? I ask because i can see some intermittent minor jumpiness when scrolling the icons on the home screen or in long lists. I wasn’t able to test if turning this feature off resolved the problem.

TexaClone

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2017
I have the OLED B7 and haven't had any issue with DV. I think it came with the 3.15 or 16 firmware. I didn't see any problems with that firmware on the DV side. But, I had massive lip sync issues, found the Korean 4.70.06 firmware and that fixed the lip sync, so now all is working flawlessly. (I have a Sonos Playbar setup, so that it where the lip sync issue came from)

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
It dos fix the lips sync but now YouTube hdr 4K videos look washed out.
I have the OLED B7 and haven't had any issue with DV. I think it came with the 3.15 or 16 firmware. I didn't see any problems with that firmware on the DV side. But, I had massive lip sync issues, found the Korean 4.70.06 firmware and that fixed the lip sync, so now all is working flawlessly. (I have a Sonos Playbar setup, so that it where the lip sync issue came from)

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
I have the same issue with movies. If I play a Netflix or iTunes movie with DV there appears to be a split second difference in lip sync. Switching it back to HDR solves the problem. I have a Monoprice cable. Wonder what the issue is?

Reactions: TexasErin

chunter1001

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
I have the Monoprice cable arriving today. Thanks again for your help.

Just to be clear, you have your ATVK sending a 4k DV signal to your B7 at 60Hz, correct?
I have the OLED B7 and haven't had any issue with DV. I think it came with the 3.15 or 16 firmware. I didn't see any problems with that firmware on the DV side. But, I had massive lip sync issues, found the Korean 4.70.06 firmware and that fixed the lip sync, so now all is working flawlessly. (I have a Sonos Playbar setup, so that it where the lip sync issue came from)[/QUOTE

TexaClone

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2017
I have the Monoprice cable arriving today. Thanks again for your help.

Just to be clear, you have your ATVK sending a 4k DV signal to your B7 at 60Hz, correct?
Yep. See attached.
1a556ae18bf8cb1f186bfdc8fa56821e.jpg

Reactions: chunter1001

chunter1001

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
Yep. See attached.
1a556ae18bf8cb1f186bfdc8fa56821e.jpg
Thanks! I installed the Monoprice cable, but still see random "flashes" - especially when navigating the Home screen icons. I even replaced the ATV4K and tried other HDMI inputs. I'm at a loss on this one

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.