Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xapp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2015
App Store
Artboard.jpg

Typically, if you have a 1080p TV, Apple TV 4K is going to work in 1080p mode and output a "low-res" picture.

Turns out, it's possible to force Apple TV 4K to work in 4K mode and using 4K assets - go to Settings > Video and Audio > Format > Other formats and select 1600x1200 resolution.

Obviously, 1600x1200 is smaller than 1920x1080, but it actually looks better...because for some reason Apple TV, like hi-res Macs, draws image in 4K and then outputs it to TV.

Attachments

• Artboard.jpg
    Artboard.jpg
    385.9 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:

Richard Tillard

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2021
That's the best Apple TV tip I've ever seen.

But, I have no idea why you need a 4K Apple TV with a TV without 4K.

mikelj

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2011
Chorley, UK
Actually, I force my ATV 4K into believing it's connected to a 4K SDR TV by using a HD Fury Linker, which also downscales the 4K to 1080p for my Panasonic plasma.

The benefit of doing this is that you then achieve the much higher 4k streaming bitrate over the HD bitrate, which results, imo (and my wife's), a better picture. It's not quite HD Blu-ray quality and the sound quality takes a hit over HD Blu-ray, but as mentioned above, if you're going to change your TV to a 4K one eventually you'll be able to watch all those purchases in HDR.

I had the idea a few years ago after reading up on Profile 5/LLDV and coming to the conclusion that a device implementing this should be able to perform HDR to SDR conversion correctly (there's not many non-profile 5 devices that can achieve this correctly, or at least, there wasn't at the time). The downside is that you have the extra HDMI handshaking between the ATV/Linker and Linker to (in my case) AV amp; which adds a few more seconds to the handshaking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.