Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the new Apple TV 4K now in customers' hands, some users are reporting issues when trying to control video with the redesigned Siri Remote.

Siri-Remote-2-how-to-scrub-Feature-copy.jpg

Specifically, some users are complaining that using the circular gesture on the new clickpad ring to fast-forward or rewind paused video isn't working as expected. Rather than scrubbing through video continually in the direction of the gesture, the video scrubs back and forth in opposite directions.

From what we've been able to work out, the problem seems to relate to a subtle additional gesture that users are missing out, either because it isn't very intuitive or Apple doesn't demonstrate it particularly well in the marketing material.

siri-remote-clickpad-video-scrubbing.gif

Try following these steps to get it working. We've italicized the crucial gesture that users appear to be omitting.
  1. First, pause the video by pressing the Play/Pause button, or by pressing the center of the clickpad ring. (A small preview thumbnail will appear above the playback timeline at the bottom of the screen.)
  2. Swipe left or right across the clickpad to scrub backward or forward in time. For more granular control, rest your finger on the outer edge of the clickpad ring until a ring icon appears on-screen, then trace a circle with your finger around the clickpad ring in a clockwise or counterclockwise direction.
  3. To begin playback at the new position, press the center of the clickpad.
You should find this method works with Apple's own apps, but we've found inconsistencies in its functioning with third-party apps, especially those that don't use Apple's native playback UI. For instance, it worked for us in Netflix, but the Disney+ app had persistent issues responding to the circular gesture.

It could be that some third-party apps need updating before they recognize the new clickpad ring on the second-generation Siri Remote, so hopefully any niggles will be smoothed out soon.

Article Link: Apple TV: How to Scrub Through Video Using the New Siri Remote (2nd Gen)

Last edited:

JSL1

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2020
Full description for the new circular gesture.

Find a specific scene in a movie or show
(using new circular gesture or swipe)

Pause the video by pressing the Play/Pause button (or by pressing the clickpad center). A small preview thumbnail appears above the playback timeline at the bottom of the screen. Rest your finger on the clickpad ring until a ring appears on the playback timeline, then circle your finger clockwise or counterclockwise around the clickpad ring. Or swipe right or left on the clickpad to move forward or backward on the playback timeline. To cancel and return to the original position, press the Back button. The circular gesture is currently not supported in all video Apps, until they fix it you will need to use the swipe gesture instead in these Apps.

Circle on playbar.gif
Showing the ring that appears on the playback timeline.

From Everything you can do with the new Clickpad.

Last edited:

Shasterball

Suspended
Oct 19, 2007
The redesigned remote is 90% of the reason people are buying this thing. Apple appreciated this as they already sell the 2nd gen remote as a standalone. After all these years, and knowing the main desire to upgrade, why is the design still awkward?

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Apple need to enforce the use of standard UI components the same way they do in CarPlay so that features work consistently across the system and the user doesn’t have to learn ten different interfaces.
I think they tried. The first versions of YouTube used the standard tvOS controls. It's just that companies like Google (YouTube) and Disney have so many users that Apple can't really tell them what to do too much. Really, their only recourse is to remove the app from the App Store, and if they were to try to remove YouTube it would hurt Apple more than anyone else. Imagine the mob of pissed off users?

LimitR

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2019
The click wheel is just inconsistent between apps. The gestures are different between say Netflix, Disney+ and YoutubeTV. But I’ll be honest, I didn’t know about that semi circular gesture. Thought it was multiple circles lol. Good to know.

Reactions: carlwfbird

srbNYC

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2020
New York, NY
I miss being able to jump forward/back 10 seconds at a time by clicking on the right/left edge of the old remote. With the new remote, the video pauses and waits for me to scrub... scrubbing is less precise and requires more of my focus.
Use the left and right buttons for that; same functionality as the previous remote's touchscreen-edges.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
I miss being able to jump forward/back 10 seconds at a time by clicking on the right/left edge of the old remote. With the new remote, the video pauses and waits for me to scrub... scrubbing is less precise and requires more of my focus.

Simply click on the left and right edges of the wheel and the video will move back/forward in 10 second increments.

Easy.

alexhardaker

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2014
I thought the scrub gesture would’ve been just like when using an iPod click wheel. That was my intuition when playing with the remote anyway.

The old remote feels more natural for gesture controls. The main annoyance I had with it was the skipping tracks or whatever using the edge of the remote; sometimes it just paused whatever was on the screen. I think it was a little too small & not thick enough too.

Scipster

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2020
Not going to lie, I'm not a fan of the redesigned remote (color, thickness, extra buttons that provide same functionality as Bravia Sync, but mainly the wheel). It seems like Apple moved backwards rather than forwards with the new device. I mean, iPhone, iPad, and the the Magic Trackpad all feature a flat, rectangular surface for touch input just like the original Siri remote. The motion is perfectly smooth and easily mimicked in the iPhone's remote app. The circle wheel is like adding a physical keyboard to an iPhone; thank u, next lol.

Thankfully the original remote is still available at Best Buy. I hope Apple doesn't discontinue it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.