Apple TV 4K Listing Appears on Amazon as Prime Video Launch Nears

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Tarheels23 macrumors member

Tarheels23

Ok, so say a show or app is in 720p and you have the ATV on 1080p SDR, does the ATV do the upscaling from 720p to 1080p and then your TV takes over from there and go from 1080p to 4k?

2. Creek0512 macrumors 6502

Nope.

"Amazon is coming to the TV app and all Apple TVs later this year with Amazon Prime Video." - Tim Cook

3. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

So true, and conversely, I can't help but thinking Apple's eagerness to get Amazon Prime on the 4K ATV4 seems interestingly a tacit acknowledgement of their own disappointing results of talks with content owners/distributors to procure vast and diverse amounts of content available in iTunes for streaming.

But to most owners of the new AppleTV 4K, whether it's from iTunes or Amazon Prime, the delivery vehicle should be moot as long as the content is there and available for them.

4. isomorphic macrumors regular

I feel certain that a company as big as Amazon keeps alpha versions of apps for all platforms warm at all times, regardless of the political / business disposition of the platform. Same as Apple keeping an ARM version of macOS warm in the lab. It's about being ready for business changes. No way did Amazon just cold-start the AppleTV app this year.

5. verniesgarden macrumors 6502a

verniesgarden

Honestly they probably didn’t start it until earlier this year. It’ll most likely be an update to the current iOS app.

Most companies don’t spend money on paths they aren’t for sure going to take. Apple is rare beast in that regard.

6. the johnmc macrumors newbie

the johnmc

7. tonyr6 macrumors 65816

tonyr6

Its gone replaced with a "Sorry we could not find this page" with a ugly looking dog.

8. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

Yes, that's correct. I haven't really compared the ATV to my TV with 720p, but if it isn't as good, I can always select 720p as the output for a specific service or program.

9. satchmo macrumors 68000

I wonder if the Apple watches and Macbooks will begin appearing on Amazon. Or perhaps it's simply a one product deal.

10. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

This had nothing to do with rivalry, it's business. Amazon discontinued selling Apple TV as a negotiation tactic for lower royalties on IAP.

11. Tech198 macrumors G4

Still an unverified rumor...

But its good to see the big "A" selling Apple TV 4K :D

12. benji888, Sep 27, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2017

benji888 macrumors 65816

benji888

and, again, at the September event, apple's statement was "later this year", not "coming soon", not "tomorrow", not "when ATV 4K ships", "later this year". Again, when Amazon's new HDR capable Fire TV is ready to sell, then we will see that and ATVs on Amazon, and the Amazon Prime app. It's about competition and business, not what the consumer wants.
    I saw the listing, the link took you to a 64GB listing that seemed incomplete, none for sale, I clicked on "32GB" and it said "available from these marketplace sellers".

So, I think what happened was one or more marketplace sellers created the listing to sell the ATV 4K, the listing people listed it, but, then management caught wind of it and deleted it. They won't let marketplace sellers sell ATV until they themselves sell it.

When Amazon pulled the ATVs from the store, they used the excuse that it didn't play amazon prime videos, so they didn't want their customers to get confused about buying then complaining and returning it because it didn't play prime videos. The real reason: they want to sell their own streamer box (Fire TV). (This paragraph is for those that haven't been following what's up with Amazon and Apple...they are business competitors, not partners. As of this summer, they are working out a deal where Apple will be able to sell ATVs on Amazon and Amazon will provide Amazon Prime app for the ATV, at the same time. Part of working this out is apple's policy on the percentage they take for in-app purchases. Rumor says it will be UHD compatible when released, and the amazon prime app will be coming to all ATVs (except 1st gen.), according to Amazon.) That's it in a nut shell, maybe a few of you are caught up now? (edit: fixed amazon app info.)

13. digason macrumors newbie

digason

14. benji888 macrumors 65816

benji888

Ah, thanks, I knew I read that somewhere, but, couldn't find it when I was looking for it a month ago...I thought Tim Cook said it.

So, yes, all Apple TVs will get Amazon Prime: "You asked (a lot). We listened. Amazon Prime Video is coming to the TV App and all Apple TVs this year."

15. ignatius345 macrumors 6502a

PS4 has the BBC player? (I should probably be googling this instead of just lazily responding, but here we are). Any idea if the BBC player works in the US?

16. MECDEN macrumors newbie

MECDEN

FYI ...looks like this listing has been deleted on Amazon. There appears to be no AppleTV hardware available (or listed) on Amazon.

17. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

Still looking for Amazon Prime on the ATV. I'll probably cut Netflix out of the lineup when it comes.