Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jaime P

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2020
Suddenly my Apple TV stoped working , I changed hdmis , plug / unplug from tv to tv, restart with the remote, also menu & - volume...and is not working it seems like the tv is not receiving signal. So,I bought a new Apple TV , I connected and watched at night , then the next day same thing happened, no signal ..... not sure what is happening . I contacted Apple support they just walk me th the basic trouble shooting but not working ....Guys could you help me . I so desperate!!!

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
So what’s actually happening?
With my TV it powers on when I activate the ATV using the Menu button on the Siri remote, the TV however remains blank even though it’s on the correct HDMI input setting until I press the Menu button again.
Could that be the same issue for you?

Jaime P

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2020
So what’s actually happening?
With my TV it powers on when I activate the ATV using the Menu button on the Siri remote, the TV however remains blank even though it’s on the correct HDMI input setting until I press the Menu button again.
Could that be the same issue for you?
tv does not detect the signal , I’m in the right hdmi input, just is not showing anything .... Apple TV is on. i use a monitor to check the same , and monitor says : input signal not found. It seems the ATV is not sending signal.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    406.6 KB · Views: 534

StarShot

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2014
Probably stupid, but did you try one of the other HDMI inputs on the TV? Or another TV as well. Even most small sets have a HDMI input option.

Reactions: -Gonzo-

Jaime P

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2020
Probably stupid, but did you try one of the other HDMI inputs on the TV? Or another TV as well. Even most small sets have a HDMI input option.
yes, I tried different HDMIs inputs,cables and also different TVs . I cleanEd the ports too.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
Seems weird it’s happened with two different ATVs, I’m wondering if it could possibly be your TV that’s caused damage to the ATV?

Jaime P

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2020
Seems weird it’s happened with two different ATVs, I’m wondering if it could possibly be your TV that’s caused damage to the ATV?
Yes I have thought that, but I do not understand TV to ATV communication. from ATV to TV is clear, send the signal ... how can the tv damage the ATV through a HMI cable ?.... I will receive a new ATV, but now I’m afraid that happened again... I use other devices in the same tv, such as Nintendo switch and blue ray...those are working perfectly

Topfry

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2011
First I would check whether the Hdmi cable needs replacing - try it with your dvd or one you know is working from your dvd with the atv... cables are usually the first things to go wrong

Jaime P

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2020
First I would check whether the Hdmi cable needs replacing - try it with your dvd or one you know is working from your dvd with the atv... cables are usually the first things to go wrong
i did that , see post above.cables, different TVs, different hdmi inputs .. but still same issue..

McScooby

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2005
The Paps of Glenn Close, Scotland.
Looks like maybe samsung firmware - https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/HD-and-UHD-TVs/Apple-TV-won-t-detect/td-p/866682 This wouldn't explain why the :apple:TV then doesn't work when connected to other devices, unless they're maybe samsung also? Unless the TV is changing the settings on the :apple:TV first time round which it remembers & doesn't work with other devices, think there's a auto HDMI setting it video & audio in settings on :apple:TV if that turned off and set to manual.
Maybe try this - Hit tv and menu buttons simultaneously and hold til light on Apple TV comes back on.
& this from 2017 looks like similar topic https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7860380?page=2

Last edited:

Jaime P

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2020
Thanks McSobby... I found that and I did the factory setting to the tv, but still the same, also I did the reset to the Apple TV ( tv icon + menu) no change, not sure how the tv can affect the Apple TV, ....I have a HP monitor , i also connected there , but not working ...same issue .... my previous Apple TV was working perfectly for more than 2 years, then suddenly that happened ...

pmiles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2013

Just to be clear... your AppleTV light is on (solid green) but the screen is blank? If you have no picture, you can't use the AppleTV Remote or the app to control your AppleTV from your phone to reset the device... you need a picture to use the menus. I don't believe you can use the computer to reset the AppleTV 4K, but it's the only manual option that I know of.

If you have exhausted all of the above... consider the possibility that the device is defective. The fact that it worked then stopped working suggests the system board may be the culprit. Is it still under warranty?

Orbsandoz

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2016
Going into settings and see if "Input Signal Plus" is turned on for that particular HDMI input. Something I have to fix frequently in my custom install job. I believe it is under system and external device manager. I avoid Samsung like the plague because of how they won't play nice when it comes to UHD and other things....

Jaime P

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2020
I found my old Apple TV .... previous gen ,not even HD , I connected and works really good, today, I received the new Apple TV ( replacement )not sure if I want to connect to my tv.....

Jaime P

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2020
Going into settings and see if "Input Signal Plus" is turned on for that particular HDMI input. Something I have to fix frequently in my custom install job. I believe it is under system and external device manager. I avoid Samsung like the plague because of how they won't play nice when it comes to UHD and other things....
You mean TV settings? And yes ,it is a UHD samsung ....

Jaime P

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2020
I found my old Apple TV .... previous gen ,not even HD , I connected and works really good, today, I received the new Apple TV ( replacement )not sure if I want to connect to my tv.

Reactions: -Gonzo-

Orbsandoz

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2016
You mean TV settings? And yes ,it is a UHD samsung ....
Sorry Jamie, not on this forum daily but yes the TV settings. Samsung has stuck to their own standards and ignored most of the new high resolution options. I can't say for sure but a simple setting being turned off can bring your Apple TV picture back. The first time I stumbled on this issue I spent about four hours troubleshooting before I found the issue. Now when I customer has no video output from a 4K Apple TV, I immediately check to see if the Samsung TV has somehow turned input signal plus back on....

Jaime P

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2020
Sorry Jamie, not on this forum daily but yes the TV settings. Samsung has stuck to their own standards and ignored most of the new high resolution options. I can't say for sure but a simple setting being turned off can bring your Apple TV picture back. The first time I stumbled on this issue I spent about four hours troubleshooting before I found the issue. Now when I customer has no video output from a 4K Apple TV, I immediately check to see if the Samsung TV has somehow turned input signal plus back on....
Well, not sure if this is the problem , because when I plugged to other devices like an HP monitor happened the same, I can not see image/signal ... it seems strange , but not sure if the TV damages the Apple TV, but I will give a look.

Jaime P

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2020
I`ve had a similar issue multiple times and this has always fix the problem for the time being.
Thanks Mann, I will try...but the weird think here is if I connect to other devices I had same issue, I connected to a HP monitor and it says “not signal”. Not sure if there is a communication TV to ATV, and tv is damaging the ATV

Jaime P

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2020
GUESS WHAT.
SECOND BRAND NEW ATV .......IT WORKS REALLY GOOD FOR A COUPLE OF WEEK AND THEN,HAPPENED SAME ISSUE, I WENT THROUGH ALL TROUBLESHOOTING BUT SAME PROBLEM, I HAVE AN APPOINTMENT AT GENIUS BAR , BUT HONESTLY IM NOT EXPECTING TOO MUCH.

I AM THE ONLY ONE WHIT THIS ISSUE ..?

I HAVE AN OLD ATV (prev version , small one) AND IT IS WORKING PERFECTLY....WEIRDDDDD

sher5od

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2015
I’m actually having this exact same issue. We’re on our 3rd Apple TV now - they all work as expected for a week or two then they just stop displaying an image. Obviously tried all the standard troubleshooting tips and also using a Samsung TV. Strange thing is - I’ve had no issues with my other Apple TV’s and they’re also connected to Samsung TV.

Not sure what the deal is but it looks like the 3rd one just died this morning. We’re thinking it could be the TV but how ...? Is it somehow able to brick Apple TV’s?

Jaime P

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2020
I’m actually having this exact same issue. We’re on our 3rd Apple TV now - they all work as expected for a week or two then they just stop displaying an image. Obviously tried all the standard troubleshooting tips and also using a Samsung TV. Strange thing is - I’ve had no issues with my other Apple TV’s and they’re also connected to Samsung TV.

Not sure what the deal is but it looks like the 3rd one just died this morning. We’re thinking it could be the TV but how ...? Is it somehow able to brick Apple TV’s?

Hello Sher5od,
any news?
from my side, I went to Genius Bar, no answer, no checking, nothing....they just gave me a new ATV, I will connect it today, but I expect the same problem, I'll see.

sher5od

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2015
Hello Sher5od,
any news?
from my side, I went to Genius Bar, no answer, no checking, nothing....they just gave me a new ATV, I will connect it today, but I expect the same problem, I'll see.
No news. Haven’t had a chance to get to the apple store but we’ll probably just exchange it again. We’re debating updating the TV... I’m wondering if maybe a downgrade to the HD TV would work better. Very frustrating.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.