Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jaime P

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2020
Well, 4th Apple TV same issue , I’m sending back to Apple , now it seems they will put more attention to my case...will see

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
Definitely thinking there’s got to be something wrong your end causing this issue.
Once, twice if you’re just unlucky but four times when nobody else seems to have the same problem just doesn’t seem to me like it’s the ATV itself that’s the issue.

jack0817

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2021
I have the exact same issue. My 3rd Apple TV 4K just died today on my Samsung TV. I have two other Apple TV 4Ks on LG TVs and haven’t had a problem with them for years. As others have mentioned my Samsung seems to be killing the ATV after about 2 weeks.

I seriously think it’s the Samsung TV frying the HDMI port on the ATV.

a couple of notes:
1. I do I have CEC turned in (which magically continues to work but no HDMI signal)
2. I did turn on some “deep color” feature on the Samsung and I’m starting to think that was the cause of my issues

Reactions: BSAppleUsr

BSAppleUsr

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2021
jack and jamie

I too am at my wits end with my Pair of Samsung 4k UHD TV and Apple TV 4k HDR! my third ATV bricked tonight in less than two months. So angry about this. I’ve done all testing known, and every time I talk to Apple they can’t help. Jack, I think Samsung is frying these units! I’m convinced of it. Now, I have another one that displays on a Samsung, but is connected to a receiver Via hdmi and the receiver dies the hdmi switching. My problem pair has ATV direct connected to the Samsung TV. I can connect my MacBook Pro to the tv with HDMI and it displays no problem. After my 2nd unit died, I replaced all cables, and installed a brand new surge protector on both the TV and ATV. Still, 3rd unit just puked out. I’m about ready to either toss this TV or go to a cheaper Firestick solution.

Let me know if you find something else. I’m ready to return this unit to Costco for the 2nd time. This is ridiculous!

Reactions: jack0817

BSAppleUsr

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2021
I have the exact same issue. My 3rd Apple TV 4K just died today on my Samsung TV. I have two other Apple TV 4Ks on LG TVs and haven’t had a problem with them for years. As others have mentioned my Samsung seems to be killing the ATV after about 2 weeks.

I seriously think it’s the Samsung TV frying the HDMI port on the ATV.

a couple of notes:
1. I do I have CEC turned in (which magically continues to work but no HDMI signal)
2. I did turn on some “deep color” feature on the Samsung and I’m starting to think that was the cause of my issues
Agree 100% jack. I have exact same problem and suspicion.

Reactions: jack0817

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
So seems it’s likely to be a Samsung issue then, is it all Samsung’s or could you all possibly have the same model of TV?

jack0817

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2021
I had a very lengthy call with an Apple engineer yesterday. I explained my issue and they had me give them all kinds of information including the Samsung TV model, the model of the TVs that work fine, the model of the PC monitor I used to verify that my Apple TV was no longer working, and the HDMI cable I used (a Belkin BTW). They even asked about this forum and it will be included in the engineer’s notes.

Then they had me do some diagnostics where we attempted to have the broken Apple TV send logs to a MacBook via wifi (I couldn’t remember the steps to try this if you asked, but it involved a strange Apple TV remote button combo, waiting a certain amount of time, and using Airdrop on the MacBook) but it did not work.

The engineer recorded all of this information and is supposed to follow up with me next week with what Apple finds. The goal of this is to identify possible incompatible TV models for the Apple TV or to have Apple come up with a software solution that’ll be included in a future update.

Ill let you guys know what they say next week.

I did get a free replacement (thanks to AppleCare) and will be ditching my old Samsung TV.

Reactions: -Gonzo-

abhi182

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2016
For some reason, Samsung does not play very well with ATV 4K.
I have a Xiaomi TV in another room that cost 1/4 of the samsung for the same size/resolution yet has never given me any problems with the ATV

I used to get recurrent blackout issues on my 2016 Samsung (JS9000) that was eventually (for the most part) solved by a) Using a short HDMI cable from amazonbasics , b) dropping 4:4:4 to 4:4:2 and c) enabling 4K sdr instead of 4k HDR but with match dynamic range set to on

Despite all of the above, I do get the dreaded black screen once in a while (every few weeks or so ) although a restart fixes it .
To avoid the trouble of replugging for restart, I mapped a keypress on the universal remote to restart the apple TV

DaveSanDiego

macrumors member
May 12, 2020
I have TWO ATV (one 4k, one HD) each is connected to a Samsung TV... one 46", one 42" and both work flawlessly

Reactions: jaymc

almostinsane

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2008
Same. I have 2 ATV 4K’s and 2 Samsung TV’s, one is a NU8000, the other is a TU8000 and both work flawlessly with the ATV’s for over a year or more.

Both have the Input Signal Plus setting enabled for HDR.

Reactions: jaymc

pmiles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2013
https://www.reddit.com/r/appletv/comments/dfsmc3 https://www.reddit.com/r/appletv/comments/iiwg7i https://www.reddit.com/r/appletv/comments/729d2x
There appears to be a long history with Samsung TVs and AppleTV...

almostinsane

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2008
I'd also suggest updating the firmware on the TV to the latest. The latest firmware version can be downloaded on the Samsung website, not by using the update feature on the TV. If you try to use the update firmware feature on the TV it usually never finds an update or will not download the latest available.

juandoff

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2021
I have been having the same problem, as well. the error message i see is "No Signal", but occasionally, I can actually get it to work when I switch the Apple TV on and off, or if I change the input on my yamaha receiver. I do not believe it's the apple tv, bc I got a new one and had the same problem. it's not the cord, bc it works for other things and i switched to a different cord with the same problem. I called Samsung and they said it's either the cord or a problem with the One Connect box, which I'm reluctant to replace, bc it's over $200 and might not even work. It's annoying because the problem is tough to explain--if Samsung or even Apple would just own the problem then I could live in peace knowing that there's not something I can do to fix it in the meantime.

Q900rappletv

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2021
So I have the same problem! i have a q900r and an Apple TV 4K. A little while ago, stopped working after a year plus of no issues/ I thought my hdmi cable had died, but it turns out that cable is fine with other devices and the same tv, and any combination of ports /input single plus doesn’t help. I updated to the very latest firmware as well.

I have yet to try the apple tv on any other screen but I think like other here, the port is has been fried. I have a HomePod, and I can actually here the menu once the tv turns on, the Apple TV itself is completely fine, just the hdmi port has been toasted.
I haven’t talked to any support yet, but I imagine trying to get either apple or Samsung to cover this could be length :(

almostinsane

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2008
Have you tried to plug another device into the 'fried' HDMI port and see if it works with something else? BD player, game console, another streaming device?

Q900rappletv

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2021
The port on the Apple tv is dead, the hdmi on the tv works fine in every port at up to 8k without issues from my pc. It just killed the video out of the Apple TV. I confirmed it doesn’t work in other displays either :(

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
Last week my Oct 2016 UN50KU6300 Samsung TV did software update. Before, I could turn on Apple TV pressing MENU or tv icon and it came on the screen. Now I have to turn on Samsung first. And once had to press the TV's reset button. Then use ? remote.

In the evening I use the remote to select sleep mode.

Maybe Sammy doesn't like losing eyeballs. This forces customers to get counted?

an-other

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2011
I experienced this a couple times yesterday. The solution that worked for me was to make sure the AppleTV was booted up. Turn off the Samsung TV. Wait for about 30 seconds, and turn it on.

My big mistake was just turning the Tv off an on. You have to wait before turning it back on.

I know that sounds annoyingly simple. It worked for me.

juandoff

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2021
the problem was fixed--i got best buy to replace the one connect box and it works perfectly now

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.