Apple TV 4K: No support for 4K Videos from iCloud Photos!?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by MartyTannen1981, Sep 22, 2017.

1. cynics macrumors G4

Your software doesn't like your media. Could be a million different reasons from incompatible video and/or audio formats, medias encode is too complex for the software and/or hardware, etc.

Keep in mind the player software still needs to support a format/codec regardless of whether the hardware can natively or not.

This 4k 60fps h265 video will play on the ATV4K using Infuse 5. I'm using a NAS with no server/transcoding software to verify all the decoding is being done on the AppleTV via software/hardware.

2. priitv8, Nov 16, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2017

priitv8 macrumors 68040

My video is iTunes compatible, see the attached detail from Media Info. Also iTunes happily ingests it.
    Briefly I had thought that the problem is in the Main@L5.1@High profile.
    SES Astra demo you referred to, has Main 10@L5.1@Main.
    But to be frank, the QT player of tvOS still does not play it!
    Infuse is a different story, it seems to be decoding on its own devices and does not rely on the QT engine from Apple.
    Screen Shot 2017-11-17 at 08.11.35.PNG IMG_2966.JPG IMG_2967.JPG

3. luis888 macrumors newbie

iPhone X 4K60p is 50Mbits/sec, 4K30p is 30Mbits/sec, no way that it can stream from iCloud to Apple TV4K even with fiber without lags. Imagine 10.000 user streaming at the same time, it can even get lags on a local wifi or ethernet cable with file acces to mac.
    You tube stream 4K30p BUT compressed with a bad quality may be 8Mbits/sec.
    The only real way to get real 4K60p is to download the video file to local disk or fast usb stick and plug that into the 4K TV.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 17, 2017 ---
    iPhone X 4K60p is 50Mbits/sec, 4K30p is 30Mbits/sec, no way that it can stream from iCloud to Apple TV4K even with fiber without lags. Imagine 10.000 user streaming at the same time, it can even get lags on a local wifi or ethernet cable with file acces to mac.
    You tube stream 4K30p BUT compressed with a bad quality may be 8Mbits/sec.
    The only real way to get real 4K60p is to download the video file to local disk or fast usb stick and plug that into the 4K TV.

4. Ted13 macrumors 6502a

10K viewers at the same time means nothing. You can have millions of people streaming 4K video at the same time from Netflix and Amazon Prime. I guarantee Netflix sends out vastly more video then iCloud. And all the 4K I’ve seen on Netflix has been flawless. And no, I don’t have fiber - but the good old fashioned coax cable (not replaced since the 1980s) that Spetrum (ex TWC) runs in NYC manages 350Mbps. Internet speed is not the issue

5. MrChuckles macrumors newbie

The easiest way I found to play 4K videos from an iOS device is to use Screen Mirroring. It actually is the only way I have found so far to play 4K videos from my phone to my AppleTV 4K.

6. anticipate macrumors 6502

anticipate

I think this has since been resolved? I’m playing videos and they seem like they are 4K from the iCloud Photo Library now? I am on tvOS 12.1 beta

7. aLPav macrumors newbie

Are you sure? I don’t know should I buy  TV if it’s not stream my videos in 4K from iCloud Photo Library... I am thinking about Chromecast Ultra...

8. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

I know this is an old thread but I’ve just switched to a 4K tv and Apple TV 4K and was really disappointed that my 4K videos in the photos app looked so awful. Airplayed them from my phone and they looked fantastic but it’s a shame you can’t play them from the native app.

9. priitv8 macrumors 68040

What does it mean “awful”.
    They definitely are downscaled to 1080p in iCloud, but they dont look awful to my eye. Check the developer HUD to see how much bandwidth is required and how much is available.

10. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

Awful compared to how it looks when airplayed. Definitely not a bandwidth issue.

11. priitv8 macrumors 68040

Still, "awful" can mean whatever. Resolution? Sharpness? Pixelation? Color saturation?
    Why not bandwith issue? How are your devices connected to internet?
    Does your airplayed content originate from your iDevice? If so, then you will get 4K picture over AirPlay but 1080p over iCloud.
    I jusy checked - the 4K 60fps video I filmed on my iPhone takes 53.5Mbps. The 1080p copy on iCloud photo library is 1080p, still 60fps and demands 30Mbps.

12. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

Just clearly not 4K 60fps like it is when I AirPlay, I don’t see the need to delve into every detail of how it looks different, my point being is that it’s not coming through as 4K 60fps on the photos app on the Apple TV that’s all there is to it really.
    I know it’s not a bandwidth issue because I have a very fast fibre connection and have no problem streaming at full quality at any time.