Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kjmff5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
just wondering if anyone has an idea when the 4K model will start showing up as a refurb. Maybe based on previous model timelines.

Thanks!

Phil in ocala

Suspended
Jul 14, 2016
Amazon firestick will do everything Apple TV will do and its on sale for $25.....why would you want to spend $100 more...escapes me...completely

kjmff5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
Amazon firestick will do everything Apple TV will do and its on sale for $25.....why would you want to spend $100 more...escapes me...completely

I did consider it. But airplay is something that i am looking for too. Unfortunately Apple got me into their eco system and now I’m stuck. Kinda sucks but at least it all works well for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: eyeseeyou

Phil in ocala

Suspended
Jul 14, 2016
They offer an app for that for firestick...but you don't care what you spend as long as its apple........that's fine as I am a stock holder of appl.................they more people buy the bigger the profits.

kjmff5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
They offer an app for that for firestick...but you don't care what you spend as long as its apple........that's fine as I am a stock holder of appl.................they more people buy the bigger the profits.

Oh and the biggest reason is i have Apple gift cards that i am looking to use up.

Curious what app do you use to airplay?

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona

Oh come on! THat's like saying "Why do you want a Ferrari when a Ford Focus" will do.
A Firestick is nothing like ATV. The ATV UI is beautiful, it's speedy, it's beautifully made - it has thought going into its design and components - it has everything going for it. The Amazon is cheaply made and crude in comparison. How do you suggest I watch my iTunes 4K Dolby Vision library on a Firestick or Airplay my iPhone to it???
Seriously, they are both different products aimed at totally different people!
A bit like saying "Why buy a iPad Pro when a Amazon tablet crappy thing will do"
[doublepost=1511547776][/doublepost]Do people not question the cheap, poor quality components of these 25dollar things?

Reactions: imlovinit

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
Usually 6-12 months after a new product is launched they start appearing in the refurb store.

Sooner if The Amazon app doesn't come out before the end of he year as Apple promised. Because mine's going back for a full-refund if I'm not watching Amazon on it by then.

It won't do everything the ATV 4K does, but it does have the Amazon App -- so +1 for that!

Phil in ocala

Suspended
Jul 14, 2016
I have two of them....they work flawlessly....hey...If the Apple product were $200, many consumers would pay the price....

daflake

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2008
I have two of them....they work flawlessly....hey...If the Apple product were $200, many consumers would pay the price....

So you are saying that the Firestick can play DRM content from Apple? Last time I checked, it couldn't do that without the hassle ripping them. Has this changed?

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
So you are saying that the Firestick can play DRM content from Apple? Last time I checked, it couldn't do that without the hassle ripping them. Has this changed?

Fire stick can play any iTunes movies ported over via MoviesAnywhere

Reactions: eyeseeyou

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011

What you pay is what you get. If you're ok with a subpar UI, dependence on Amazon Prime, and letting Jeff Bezos sell all your info to advertisers, then go for it. I'm willing to pay $100 more for a better UI and knowledge that the company isn't monetizing my viewing habits.

StarShot

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2014
Not sure it matters much, but the Amazon fire 4k has 8GB of memery verses the Apple TV 4K at 32GB and 64GB. Also an etherent dongle is $15 more. I'm running my ATV 4K with ethernet to avoid wifi spooling. I think I'll "stick" with my ATV although IMHO, the Apple remote sucks. Way to sensitive.

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR

Does it act as a HomeKit hub? Play iTunes content without third party hacks? Can you run iOS apps such as games on it? How about 4K?

Didn’t think so.

praterkeith

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2005
Montgomery, AL
Gotta think refurbs would be around the same price that DIRECTV NOW is offering for their deal. Prepay 4 months for $140 and get a free Apple TV 4K. You can cancel the service when your 4 months is up.

acorntoy

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2010
Gotta think refurbs would be around the same price that DIRECTV NOW is offering for their deal. Prepay 4 months for $140 and get a free Apple TV 4K. You can cancel the service when your 4 months is up.

Now that looks like a tempting deal. No tax either as it's a streaming service correct? Is it easy to cancel, like clicking "don't subscribe after term over", or do I have to call and wait, and fight to get the subscription revoked?

praterkeith

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2005
Montgomery, AL
Now that looks like a tempting deal. No tax either as it's a streaming service correct? Is it easy to cancel, like clicking "don't subscribe after term over", or do I have to call and wait, and fight to get the subscription revoked?
No tax, mine was $140 out the door. This is a good chance to try the DirecTV Now service, so I'll just cancel when the 4 months is about to expire. Not sure if it can be cancelled online since this is my first experience with them, but for this price, I'm fine with a phone call.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.