Apple TV 4th Gen Push Back

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Blujelly, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Blujelly macrumors 65816

Blujelly

hi all,

Seeing a lot of reports about the new Apple TV being pushed back until November for in store purchase.

Anyone got any confirmed reports in this?

2. CaptTCS macrumors regular

CaptTCS

3. Blujelly thread starter macrumors 65816

Blujelly

4. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

Will it be a delay though, if it goes on sale, as opposed to shipping, in late October they are meeting the target they announced.

Other than that if there is a slight delay it could be to allow developers a little more time to get apps ready for the launch window. Most haven't had much hands on time with the actual device.

5. Blujelly thread starter macrumors 65816

Blujelly

I think its a case of delayed until November for in-store purchases, BUT you can then order online end of October for delivery in November.

6. jmantn macrumors 6502

I'll throw my 2 cents in if it's a delay (meaning they may have intended on shipping mid oct vs late oct) it's because they want to allow more time for developers. I'm sure there's plenty of us hoping for 4K functionality as some of us have 4K TV's (Vizio for example has cheap 4K since last black friday) however I doubt any delay would be hardware related.

With them sending out additional Apple TV's to Dev's with apps already in an app store they clearly want to beef up available apps for day 1. There's a whole lot of potential users out there who didn't get an apple watch and whose first iOS device was after the iPhone became available outside of AT&T therefore there's a significant amount of non techie consumers who expect any and every new apple device to have a ton of apps to choose from.

Just my speculation but I'm willing to bet Apple is doing some serious behind the scenes leg work to ensure there's a decent selection... After all a huge complaint about the Apple Watch was lack of apps and native apps.

I also recall how that even after the Apple Watch was released Apple had brought in developers of popular apps to Cupertino and had them work on apps there and had engineers on hand to assist. Representatives from other companies there had to sign an NDA but word still got out that Apple was helping some devs. Not a far leap to assume the same thing is happening with the Apple TV as well except this time no one's talking about it.

7. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

I won't be surprised if it's delayed, why rush the product out if the apps aren't there to support it?

Longer delay, smoother launch

8. Coffee50 macrumors 6502

Does anyone know if it will also be available at other retailers (Best Buy, Target, etc.) at launch?

9. 9512tacoma macrumors member

B&H photo will have it. You can be notified by e-mail.

10. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

No they are allowing Roku and Everyone else to get ahead of them,i have a feeling the launch will be a flop , it is called incompetence, this should have been out a year ago actually. At least allow pre orders. According to that B&H photo expected availability is November 10th. That is totally unacceptable and most people are not going to wait around for Apple Tv when any one of the other boxes or Chromecast can give them what they want. Oh wait big story on 9 To 5 Mac, New screensavers for Apple tv 4 added, wow!!!

11. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Are you serious???? The previous Apple TVs have sold by the millions with NO advertising campaign from Apple. Up to a couple years ago it was buried deep in the iPod section. Had no App Store and largely ignored by Apple.

All that didn't stop Apple TV from being one of the more popular streaming boxes that was on the market.

But now that Apple is paying attention you believe it will be a flop???

12. aesc80 macrumors 6502

aesc80

Good, good! Let the hate flow right through you!

While I agree that this release of Apple TV is a bit late and the lack of 4K is a bit painful, those who have invested in Apple infrastructure of things will still be buying. I'm personally still a bit upset that Amazon won't find a home in AppleTV, but considering what Apple is doing as a business, it really is against their own interest. At least an Amazon Firestick is dirt cheap. Still, I'm hopeful that with the hardware that it is, Apple could simply flip the switch and support 4K, though part of me knows not to hold my breath, or expect it to come free.

13. 2010mini macrumors 68040

4K is a gimmick right now. By the time networks start streaming 4K OTA, the standard will change. And your current tv probably will need additional hardware to decide.

14. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

A large % of those sales were before the Chromecast or Fire Tv even existed. Fact is sales of Apple tv have declined and now all those other devices have been upgraded and are for sale or pre order while the only new update on the Apple tv is new screensavers for a box that is not even out. It makes no sense for Apple to not even have pre orders. I don't understand how anyone can defend the way Apple has handled this

15. flux73 macrumors 65816

There can't be pre-orders if they haven't finalized a release date.

The AppleTV will sell just fine. If someone's been waiting years, a couple of weeks is nothing. I have a bunch of iTunes movies, TV shows, music, photos, podcasts, etc. Don't think I'll be switching to Roku even if they came out months before.

Take a chill pill people. It'll be out before you know it. Then we can all pick over all the little things that we would have done differently (better) than Apple.:rolleyes:

16. 2010mini macrumors 68040

The Apple TV was still very popular even when newer, more advanced streaming devices were on the market. Of course sales declined The current one is 3 years old! But answer me this: why was that 3 year old device still so popular???? Answer: the Apple ecosystem.

I would rather no pre-orders..... Just release it same day online and in stores. I mean we have been waiting for 3+ years for this.

17. jmantn macrumors 6502

Here's my twisted POV: They've certainly had enough time to manufacture quite a few AND maybe with the competition it won't be so hard to get one day one. I for one am literally counting the days because I'm cancelling my tv service as soon as it lands.

18. flux73 macrumors 65816

If you have Comcast, cancel it now. It'll take you at least that long to get it finalized. :p Those bastards delay you for as long as they can.

19. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

You think apple cares about companies getting their product out first? They take their sweet time with everything, they were dead last in the smart watch category

20. jmantn, Oct 14, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2015

jmantn macrumors 6502

ha ha no, I've got great service through dish with an amazing DVR however after figuring it up I could pay for Netflix, HBO, and buy all the shows I watch and come out paying 40 to 50% less a year. Literally.

EDIT: I'll also note I gave away my 3rd gen Apple TV to someone for their birthday a few months ago in anticipation of this being out in September and that's why I'm counting the days.

21. inkahauts macrumors regular

It's specs unless recently changed do not physically support 4K.

22. burgman macrumors 65816

burgman

Anybody buying 4 K sets now are in for a big shock over the next few months. HDR is being released and that format is already embraced by Netflix and other streaming companies. Most people don't have the bandwidth for real 4K and HDR solves that problem.

23. jmantn macrumors 6502

Yes my 70 inch Vizio 4K tv doesn't support HDR AFAIK. Sucks.

24. aesc80 macrumors 6502

aesc80

Real 4K is one thing, UHD is another. From my understanding, that's what Amazon and Netflix is currently supporting. It's helps having a 150+ Mbps connection.

25. inkahauts macrumors regular

How did you come to that conclusion? HDR ADDS color depth to the picture meaning more info not less....