Apple TV 6 rumours!

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by scouser75, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Closingracer macrumors 68040

We don't even need a 6th Gen one. The 4k does everything all mainstream tvs can do now.

2. JeffPerrin macrumors 6502

JeffPerrin

I keep saying a "Gaming Edition" version would break ATV into millions more homes, instantly.

- Dedicated Apple game controller bundle!
    - A-list game devs pulled on board a la Bungie, LucasArts, Blizzard, etc.
    - Beefier RAM, GPU and storage specs

It bewilders me how Apple ignores the huge (and growing) console game market. Don't believe me? Just check out this recent story from Ars: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018...ath-game-consoles-are-doing-better-than-ever/

3. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

Like Dolby ATMOS & DTS??
    Needs an optical link putting back on it to allow amps to process the sound not the ATV
    HDR processing is bad and you have no switch mode, i want to control IF upscaling takes place.
    Sort out the limit on iTunes, a 5 device limit is too low these days.

I dont care about games on iOS - much better options available on the market.

4. JeffPerrin macrumors 6502

JeffPerrin

Optical has a limited bandwidth - so not an option if you are looking for higher-quality audio. But yes, HDMI passthrough of Dolby Digital signal would be nice! (And would easily allow for Atmos)

And although not everyone is into games, a successful push into console gaming would have a tremendous halo effect on Apple's push into the living room. Better content deals, more attention towards tvOS updates, more high-quality apps, etc. etc.. ;)

5. errol macrumors 6502

errol

A faster processor and more RAM will always be welcome. Other than that, the ATV4K really only needs high resolution audio. 10gbps ethernet would be a good future proofing move but that would be expensive.

6. HobeSoundDarryl, Jan 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2018

HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    I am and have always been a HUGE fan of this particular Apple product, having owned every model. There is so much more potential in this thing. Here's my wish list for the "6"...
    • More modern audio codec support than 1991's Dolby Digital (doesn't matter to me if any of that appears in the online store). DD 7.1 was a good but- IMO- modest step. Where's the rest of the modern majors? If this is supposed to be Apple’s answer to the “bag of hurt,” fully compete on both the video & audio fronts (whether content in the store evolves or not). Make the hardware as capable as any 4K BD player on the market, so there is no technical superiority in BD hardware. If this IS competition, fully compete!
    • Resurrect great features of the :apple:TV OS from prior models. Even little stuff like using the "Show" tag to better group serialized movies (Star Wars, Harry Potter, etc) rather than listing each "episode" in a single long list. Good functions and functionality of prior models have been replaced with lessor/worse/no "solutions.” Once you achieve "just works,” adopt a "if it ain't broke" mentality, instead of periodically re-inventing anyway and creating "just DOESN'T work" replacements... or no replacements at all.
    • Go back to putting our own movies in a Movies menu, our own TV Shows in a TV Show menu, etc. "Computers" as a catch-all is NOT intuitive.
    • Siri search should "see" our own content even faster than only seeing our "in the cloud" content. IMO- its borderline ridiculous that Siri is unable to see my own content.
    • Quit prioritizing rentals & purchases. Prioritize us- the users- and make the rentals & purchases available but not dominating the product UI.
    • Support attached or network storage for those that desire to cut the "always on" cord with some computer elsewhere in the house. It is still a very desirable feature for some. "The Cloud" is not an answer for everyone. A "local Cloud" could be a great option. As an optional feature(s), this would affect no one happy with the "as is" (streaming only) approach.
    • Speaking of “local cloud,” it seems like a slam dunk new product from Apple would be the ultimate iTunes media storage device (mostly a big hard drive(s) that shifts a home’s iTunes media to a single device and from which all of the computer & mobile devices can draw content. Yes, there are attempts at this from many other players but only Apple could build a complete one and directly integrate it into the various Apple OSes to make it seamless (as if the content is on the storage of the various household devices). Yes, we can get close to this with “home sharing” via a dedicated computer, but instead of dedicating a computer, how about a NAS from Apple refined to cover this specific task? I would think they would sell a ton of these.
    • Support for some kind of DVR-like functionality (cloud or local drive). Record anything that can be played by any app. Store it as long as you like. Stream it to whatever device you have on your network or to your mobile devices. Etc. Basically, a fully functional, universal DVR that works with everything. And maybe with hardware H.265 or 264 compression to more efficiently store whatever is recorded?
    • Normalize the USB port so that third party players can expand the hardware capabilities of the device in ways that Apple doesn't want to do themselves. Several of the other ideas in this list could be realized by entities like Elgato and similar if Apple doesn't want to do them... but those hardware-building third parties need some way to integrate their hardware into the :apple:TV. This begs for at least ONE normalized USB port.
    • I don't think one remote can ever "fit all." So, create dedicated remote codes for all TV interaction functions so that people can use whatever remote they want and have as close to full control of the device as possible. A plethora of discrete codes for universal remotes would be an invisible way to deliver on this, affecting no one happy with the “as is” but opening up many more capabilities for those who would rather use universal remotes to control the unit in traditional ways.
    • Full web browser (Safari?) for :apple:TV would provide a way to access any online video not yet packaged into :apple:TV apps or streaming services.
    • Dedicate (more?) talent to this hardware & software to fully compete with the dedicated talent at work for competitors. Apple has more money than any of them, yet those other guys seem to be making the strides with this kind of product. Why? My guess: FOCUS... as in, focused talent. Make a subset of that talent work harder on bringing mainstream apps available on iDevices to this box. For example, where’s stuff like Tivo or DISH Anywhere? This box becomes added value if it can replace the need to lease boxes from cable & satt companies. Many equivalent apps already exist for mobile iDevices. It's not a big stretch to bring them to :apple:TV.
    • Dual or Quad HD Tuners to make local OTA channels accessible for those close enough to broadcast towers. I think this would get the “big 5” networks accessible on this box far faster than waiting to strike deals with upwards of every local broadcaster in the land (more than 1000 local broadcast stations in the USA). This immediately adds great value, though it may cut into some "big 5" broadcast rentals. Most of the top-rated shows are on the "big 5" networks and their signals are buzzing over most our heads for free right now. For many of us those signals are surrounding our :apple:TVs right now, but just can't get inside with the stock equipment. Yes, HDHomeRun equipment offers a pretty good workaround solution, but how about putting that same kind of thing INSIDE the "6" (or inside a 6 Ultimate Edition)?
    • Make Homekit compatibility less costly (lower the licensing fees) so that the same stuff with that compatibility is not about twice as expensive. I don't want to pay $229 for door locks otherwise available for about $100 just so that I don't have to pull a key out of my pocket or punch in a numeric code. IMO, convenience and "gee whiz" has some value but not 2X (or more) retail.
    • Get tvOs basic video consumption features "just works" right. How about NOT having a round of the faithful spinning bugs as "just one software update" this time? Test, test, test with real people watching real video and LISTEN to what they think is not working well... then fix it before rolling it out to ALL of us. Yes, that may jeopardize the "surprise"/secrecy but "the big reveal" loses it's shine when "the big reality" is feeling like beta or alpha testers for months and months thereafter. How did the “5” get out the door without auto-HDR settings? Gen 1 felt "just works." Achieve that again.
    • The hopping app-to-app approach seems to doom the ability to discover new shows without other people selling us to try and locate them. New shows don’t get much time to attract the critical number of eyeballs to keep new episodes coming. Even stuff like Seinfeld & Cheers took upwards of a year before they became hits. Making it harder for the masses to discover new shows seems to complicate the chances of a modern day Seinfeld or Cheers to find enough audience fast enough to keep new episodes being produced. Fix this.
    • Make accessing the tvOS app store possible via computer to significantly improve the ability to find desirable apps.
    • The al-a-carte channels or al-a-carte shows dream slung around here is immensely appealing- even if they are unlikely to be realized at the oft-slung steep discounts and oft-wanted addition of "commercial free." Still, anything in that direction is better than nothing, even if it comes with realistic pricing and leverages the subsidy benefit of at least some commercials. A bunch of less-money-in-the-bank competitors have managed to bring various versions of this concept to market already. Apple certainly has the resources and cash to out do any of them. What's the hold up? Get it done.
    • Add back in a stereo analog audio out option for those with zone 2 receivers that require analog input. This circuitry is already there (this is generally an iDevice platform), so this is just a matter of putting a dirt-cheap commoditized port back on the box. As is, Zone 2 people have to buy separate hardware that can split out some analog stereo for this purpose.
    • Dual HDMI out for readily splitting video & audio without a third party device.
    • Can you Airplay 4K video shot on iDevices or not? If not, where’s the Airplay (now with real) 4K (playback) upgrade?
    • If it's going to be 3 or 4 years before a "6" is ready to come to market, might as well wish for 8K playback capabilities too.
    I'm sure there's more than these but that's just top of (my own) mind wishes.

Interesting Note: I've managed to get a few of the above accomplished with a hodge podge of third party hardware & software, particularly HDHomeRun hardware (Prime as a cable TV source and Extend for OTA signals) + the incredible Channels App with Channels App DVR add on. That "not quite cord-cutter" combination brings real HD video with DD 5.1 Surround sound, a fully-functional DVR, local & national cable programming to (or through) :apple:TV without the compromises of full cord cutter services and without using a byte of broadband capacity. I lease ZERO boxes from Comcast but can feed upwards of however many TVs I want in the home (as long at they have :apple:TV or now FireTV streamers attached). One unified guide brings everything together (like traditional cable or satt guides) though the app options are still readily available too if I want to use them.

Of all the available options toward the cord-cutting ideal, this one seems to be- IMO- the very best balance for anyone wanting quality (especially HD programming with surround sound), the best of the traditional options with the best of the "the future" options, including a fully-functional DVR without the restrictions of many of the streaming service pseudo DVRs and unified guide. It makes my :apple:TV about 100 times more useful than it was when television was being sourced from traditional vehicles. And it still gets Comcast "triple play" discounts without the Comcast box rentals, so it costs less than traditional options too.

7. BODYBUILDERPAUL macrumors 65816

The 5 limit is OK - it's 5 Apple devices PLUS 5 Apple TVs. Surely no house has more than 5 Apple TVs??? If so, there's too much TV watching going on ;)
    --- Post Merged, Jan 20, 2018 ---
    No ATV6 will be 2019 with HDMI 2.1 to go with the 2019 TVs etc. Really can't see it before then.
    If anything, we'll see Dolby Atmos added when the HomePos launches and the HomePod with its 7 tweeters and 360degree sound will have some kind of pseudo Dolby Atmos to go with it. If Apple can do this with the HomePod OR bring out a HomePod sounder, they'll have the home cinema market for their iTunes fans.
    I'd love to see a beautifully designed compact Apple sounder that works seamlessly with the ATV 4K. What a beautiful experience that would be!
    --- Post Merged, Jan 20, 2018 ---
    Some great points there buddy BUT I'd LOVE to know, outside of the USA, what the sales figures / amount of homes that actually have home cinema speakers or even soundbars. From what I can see, it's tiny. Not sure if Apple would be interested in lossless audio. If anything, they'll be wanting to make their HomePod work with the ATV and here Dolby Atmos may appear.
    I really don't believe that Apple are even concerned about 4K BluRay. It's very very very clear to see from Panasonic, Sony's 2018 offerings - low price, cheap end only players - that even the manufacturers are NOT INTERESTED in this format. It's simply a way for Hollywood to make more money as the rest of the world is and has been for the last 5+ years - streaming!
    Just looking at 4K BluRay titles, it's merely mainstream Hollywood releases. There's not one film in the catalogue that interests me.
    And finally, i'd rather Apple keep the ATV as a Apple eco-system iTunes, Mac, iPhone device. Truly not interested in all TV channels that can be accessed through satellite going onto ATV - the TV channel watching market is declining - in the UK the average age of a TV watcher is 61-65!!! I can't see why having these channels fits in with the Apple customer - simply get what you want from an App.
    And finally, let's not forget what Apple and Apple TV is all about. It's easy to use. It's NOT COMPLICATED. It will have one single HDMI 2.1 connector on it AND THAT'S IT.
    Anyone who wants the mubojumbo - millions of HDMI, Coaxial this and that should merely buy their Oppo 205. Apple is not about overcomplicating things. It's zen! Less is more - And worry free!

8. err404 macrumors 68020

HobeSoundDarryl, most of what you want is either already there, or is more about the software than hardware. The post is far to long to respond to each point, but I did want to call out a few things.
    DVR or other hardware expanded capabilities can be just as easily supported today via the network and a front end app on the Apple TV (like a Plex Server or Infuse for example). A dedicated USB port on the Apple TV really doesn’t make for a better solution and by using the network you also keep your TV cabinet less cluttered.
    The Apple TV already supports universal remotes. Personally I use a Harmony smart hub w/remote almost exclusively. If I need to type or use the touch pad for some reason, I use the control center widget on my phone. Additionally the Apple TV works like a “reverse” universal remote, it can learn codes from any remote the you have lying around. That said, there is no way to kill an App, and fast scrubbing could be improved via IR.
    As for dual HDMI or optical, this is tricky. Optical can not support most modern codecs and splitting HDMI compromises advanced features like auto Lip sync, which are important given the latency of modern TVs. I don’t think it is reasonable to ask for your input device to solve this problem. Getting ARC working from your TV back to the receiver or a proper 4K switching receiver are the best solutions. If you need to get it working with old or fussy devices, an hdmi/optical splitter is under 25$

9. BODYBUILDERPAUL macrumors 65816

To me, it kind of feels a little wrong, greedy or ungrateful to demand anything else from the ATV right now. Yes, we'll need HDMI 2.1 in 2019 but for now, maybe Dolby Atmos would be great but judging from Apple keeping iTunes music downloads at 256kbps AAC, it's highly unlikely that we'll ever see lossless audio on iTunes film.
    I think that it's incredible that the ATV offers auto frame rate switching along with auto HDR/DV/SDR. Added with the super fast X10+ chip and the beautiful design of the lil box and UI - it's perfect.
    If anything, the rather laggy trackpad/touchpad remote could do with a more Apple user experience but i'm delighted with this years ATV 4K.
    The fact that my Panasonic 4K BluRay player has only been used FOUR TIMES in the three months that i've had says all really.

10. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

It's the number of rooms, with a limit of 5 ATVS its just not enough to cover needs.
    Now you can get around it, by having two libraries pointing to one NAS drive - but one would be much nicer and makes everything have the same central content.

11. HobeSoundDarryl, Jan 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2018

HobeSoundDarryl

With all due respect, every :apple:TV thread to which you contribute, you overwhelmingly gush and praise what is for sale now as near- or sometimes beyond- perfection. This thread asks what else would we as individuals like to see in a future product. In the future, the current product will not be satisfactory anymore. My post is not overly poking at Apple or the current :apple:TV but answering OPs request of what else would I like to see in future hardware & software.

OP did not put limits on the dreaming. He did not squeeze the potential replies into little boxes so that what Apple has for sale now is mostly a perfect fit for what any of us as individuals should want in a future :apple:TV. The call was open-ended, no restraints, so I've shared what I would like to see. That's me- not you. You of course are free to share that you think the "5" is perfect in every way... or what else you would love to see added in a hypothetical "6."

You go at these threads like it's almost your baby... like you want to help Apple sell as many of these things as they can. Apple doesn't need your help in that way...

Good grief man. "wrong, greedy or ungrateful"? This is a wish list thread. Humans are always wishing for all kinds of stuff to improve, do more, be better. They are not wrong, greedy or ungrateful. They are just doing what humans do. Plus, we're not really wishing for more from :apple:TV right now. We're dreaming of a hypothetical future :apple:TV in this thread.

I've bought every :apple:TV they've rolled out, so I need no convincing either.

Is the model for sale now perfect in every way? Per your cumulative posts, one would think it is, or very near it. But that's through your own lens. I'm glad it's so near perfect for you and your situation. But OP did not ask the dreaming to fit within BodyBuilderPaul's lens. OP asked what would ANY of us like to see. And that's what I offered.

In support of your overwhelmingly gushing praise in all of these threads, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the :apple:TV too. But I do wish it had the stuff I offered so I could LOVE a future model even more. As is, I am using some third party hardware and a third party app to make it much more useful to me. The HDMI out port links to a third party hardware "dongle" to split out analog audio to feed my own Zone 2 receiver function, so I can enjoy :apple:TV as a music jukebox on a separate set of speakers already in place (analog stereo out USED to be a feature inside :apple:TV). Etc.

Frankly, it doesn't matter if Apple is concerned or not concerned with 4K Blu Ray... nor what other manufacturers think... or whether there is 4K discs that interest me (or you) or not. Getting what I want from hopping App to app feels inferior to getting what I want in something more toward the traditional way. I'm greatly enjoying :apple:TV being the hardware through which the Channels App delivers something more like the traditional all-in-one, on-screen guide presentation + a fully-featured DVR + 5.1 surround on cable channels (not available on any of the streaming cable-like alternatives), etc.

Your argument for :apple:TV being easy to use and NOT COMPLICATED is eye of the beholder, meaning I can agree and simultaneously disagree with you. I find it both easy to use AND more complicated than traditional cable/satt. Hopping app to app and then sometimes having to hop to an :apple:TV-competing box to find any given content is NOT easy to use and thus complicated... especially for those accustomed to the traditional all-in-one approach. Try to teach a less tech-savvy user how to watch their list of favorite programming on an :apple:TV. Some of it will be here, some of it will be there, some of it won't be on there, some of it might be on an app to be downloaded, some of it might require they set up another subscription to a different service within an app, etc. The traditional "boob tube" used to be turn on the TV and watch. While you and I may have the techy experience to not see the new hurdles as hurdles, give an :apple:TV remote to grandma and see if she can even manage to get a few favorite shows on her TV.

Again, I probably love my :apple:TVs as much as you love yours. I just don't see it as near to perfection as you obviously do. There is always room for improvement. I respect your glowingly-favorable opinions of it (even sharing some of them). Perhaps you can respect mine (where I may not see all as perfection). If the current :apple:TV is complete perfection for all of us, this thread should die pretty quickly because no one (else) will be able to share any wants for any new features of a "6" in the future. And Apple- being in the hardware business- will eventually give up on the :apple:TV because there's nothing more to be built and sold- the "5" got it right in every way and anyone that wants one will eventually have one.

12. Rigby macrumors 601

What for? Nothing that the ATV4K does requires HDMI 2.1.
    More generally, true audio bitstreaming would be at the top of my wish list, with support for all Dolby and DTS formats.

13. HobeSoundDarryl, Jan 20, 2018

HobeSoundDarryl

A Plex DVR is great but limited to what one can watch through Plex. The DVR I described could be set to record at nearly the point the video is being pushed to the TV. Thus, it could record anything from any app whether able to be viewed within Plex (or similar) or not. The Plex DVR is great but it's a solution WITHIN an app. My Apple DVR wish is a solution OUTSIDE of any app. Right now, I have a pretty great DVR solution via the Channels App. But it is limited to content available through that App. If I switch to another App to watch something NOT available within Channels, the Channels DVR can't record it. Only Apple could make a DVR like the one I'm describing because it would have to do it's thing right at the end of the processing within :apple:TV. As such, it could be a DVR able to record anything.

A dedicated USB port (or similar) is the only (easy) way to resurrect synching of content for those that would like to synch instead of streaming (though I would put NAS a close second if that was supported). I liked synching on the first generation :apple:TV and have missed that functionality in all subsequent generations. I'd love to see either approach bring it back for those of us who desire to do something we used to be able to do on an :apple:TV.

It's the only (easy) way to extend the :apple:TV to be able to do other things that require hardware not baked inside of :apple:TV already. For example, if you look through many :apple:TV threads, you'll see people wishing for a Mac Mini-like expansion device to stack under or over :apple:TV to add disc playback options. There are things on CD/DVDs/BDs that are NOT available in iTunes or on Netflix, etc. People still bring over a movie on disc to watch or maybe have some old home movies converted to disc. Yes, an AV stack should probably also have a disc player in the stack but some would like to connect a disc player to their :apple:TV and let it be the one box to cover all bases.

Similarly, there are a LOT of people that would like to marry OTA tuners and :apple:TV. There is lots of very highly rated programming in the airwaves available for free but no ready way to get that into :apple:TV. Yes, one can pick up that programming via other means- such as linking the cable directly to the TV. But some would like to have that programming flow inside their :apple:TV too. Apple probably doesn't want to build that inside (because they'd rather sell us that free programming?). Normalize a USB port and an Elgato or similar could build that dongle and make it possible for OTA video to be playable inside :apple:TV. I don't love dongles but if Apple isn't going to build it in, at least it's an OPTION for those that want such added features.

Yes, :apple:TV does support any old remote. However, my wish was about adding many discrete code features to give those of us that favor universal remotes MORE functionality than what is built in now. For example, many of us are using cable TV-like streaming services that still have grid guides for presenting content available to watch. Those are fairly well done so that we can select a show or a channel and watch them. However, some options have traditional channels denoted with traditional channel numbers (my service for example). Can I punch in a channel number to jump to some channel I want to watch? No, those codes aren't baked in because :apple:TV as designed doesn't really strive to work that way. However, since I would like to be able to punch in specific channel numbers (those buttons ARE on my universal remote) rather than scroll up and down to find the channel, I'd like channel entry digits as discrete codes. It would make universal remotes able to do more than the basic functionality :apple:TV is able to support now without affecting anyone else happy with the "as is." Almost all AV devices have discrete codes to make it possible to do things beyond what their stock remotes can do. It's nice to have such capabilities available on universal remotes. My wish is about being able to do more with this AV device.

I said nothing about wishing for a return of optical. But dual HDMI would solve the problem for many who want to send 4K video to a new 4K TV without having to replace their receiver not capable of 4K pass-through or HDR pass through, etc. People are buying third party HDMI splitters to accomplish this OUTSIDE of the box but I'm no fan of dongles. Yes, one can also throw out a receiver and buy a newer one but some are happy with the one they have.

Beyond that, see my last post. OP just asked for our individual wishes and I offered them from my perspective. Of course, my wishes should not necessarily be everyone else's nor should theirs be mine. Faulting my wishes doesn't change my opinion- I'd still like to see what I shared in a future "6." And I love my "4s" and "5s"... just offering up what else I would like to see rather than pretending that everything in them is pretty much perfect in every way.

14. Rigby macrumors 601

I guess it depends on what you mean by "support". If you mean the capability to decode, I think supporting Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus (which is used for 7.1 iTunes movies) is fine. DD+ in particular is a very good and flexible codec, and much more suitable for streaming than TrueHD/DTS-HD MA due to its constant bitrate modes (all lossless codecs have highly variable bitrates, which makes it difficult to manage the bitrate budget). DD+ can be scaled up to several Mbps bitrates, at which point it is practically lossless, but without the drawbacks.

The problem with adding DTS/DTS-HD decoding is that Apple would have to pay additional licensing fees for that. This is not the case for bitstreaming though, so they should be able to add bitstreaming for all common formats. Until recently I would have said Apple will never do that, but given that they have added framerate switching it seems they are a bit more flexible than they used to be.

15. HobeSoundDarryl, Jan 20, 2018

HobeSoundDarryl

Again, this thread is not capped at looking out for Apple's cost structure. There are FARRRRRRR cheaper AV devices that are apparently able to cover the licensing costs of TrueHD/DTS-HD, etc and still retail for FARRRRRRRR less than :apple:TV. That makes me think the licensing is not some huge expense.

But even if it was, I wish for it anyway. If it can only be available in a hypothetical ":apple:TV 6 Mega" for twice the price, then so what, I'll pay more for desirable features. This is a wish list thread. Conceptually, we can wish for an :apple:TV6 to come with a holographic projector to turn our living rooms into a Star Trek holodeck.

16. Rigby macrumors 601

But why would you need decoding support for anything else but the formats that iTunes uses? Bitstreaming should be enough for other formats, so apps such as Infuse can output them. People who are interested in high-end audio formats certainly have an AVR or soundbar that can decode them anyway.

17. HobeSoundDarryl, Jan 20, 2018

HobeSoundDarryl

Because iTunes is not the only source for video. Some of us watch video from other apps too. If the box was capable of more, maybe any of the other sources of video might be tempted to test higher quality sources of content. If it sells or rents well, they add more. If they start building a growing following, maybe iTunes decides to step up too.

As is, a box lacking such stuff offers no such possibilities, unless each app does the licensing themselves.

Furthermore, some of us rip our discs and from that we can layer in the higher quality codecs. Those have zero dependency on the iTunes store or bandwidth, etc. But :apple:TV is capped at DD7.1. As you say, that's not bad but we have the native option available without an easy :apple:TV way to play it. This is a wish list thread. I wish a future :apple:TV had the hardware, software & licensing to cover the base whether the iTunes store ever adds such capabilities or not.

18. BODYBUILDERPAUL macrumors 65816

WOW!

19. Rigby macrumors 601

You don't understand what I'm saying. Third-party apps can either bring their own decoders (like e.g. Infuse does) or bitstream. Still don't see why Apple should have decoders in tvOS.
    Audio decoding isn't a hardware issue. Only bitstreaming is.

20. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Right, I switched the wording of the latter.

And yes, apps could do the licensing themselves, but if :apple:TV had the capabilities within the box, then apps could compete without each having to cover the licensing.

21. davcole macrumors newbie

Hopefully it will come with all iterations of HDR!

22. kiranmk2 macrumors 6502a

kiranmk2

I wanted a load of these features back in the days of the ATV2/3, but I've now moved on and I think the ATV 4K is almost there. Built in tuners is never going to happen. Too many SKUs worldwide with many different standards and as has been mentioned an HDHomeRun and Channels App will fulfil this need. Audio is still an issue. DTS can be bitstreamed using Infuse (who have paid for a licence), HD audio can't yet be bitstreamed but again, Infuse will decode and pass it through as PCM. The reason Atmos and DTS:X aren't supported is that the height information is stored as meta-data and is lost if decoded on the ATV and the way TvOS works is to decode/recode to add in the UI sounds and Siri responses. I imagine that Apple is intending to introduce Atmos in a DD+ stream (i.e. lossy) in a future TvOS update. How an App like Infuse deals with lossless Atmos, I don't know. However, only 4K BluRays have lossless Atmos tracks and these haven't been cracked yet...

A second HDMI output for Audio could be useful for a few people - but again, if Atmos is only available over a DD+ stream, a lot of TV passthrough/ARC should be good enough. I suspect if you care that much about this, you will either have the OPPO 4K player which I believe you can feed the ATV into to aplit the audio, or will invest in an HDMI splitter (or will already have a 4K/HDR compliant AV receiver/Soundbar).

Infuse also acts an app to play items from a NAS which solves that problem. A TvOS update to allow 3rd party apps to add items into the TV app would finally let all your media appear in one app.

The only hardware updates I can see being useful are an HDMI 2.1 port which would allow QMS support to remove the blank screen when switching frame rates and VRR for games. I guess by the time this roles around, we'll be up to an A12 or A12X chip to give a power boost. Hopefully some kind of remote upgrade will come too - the current one doesn't bother me so much, but it could always be better.

Apple just don't care about TV gaming. If they wanted to push it through, they would have to bundle a controller and build real bridges to game developers and pay for some exclusives - iOS ports aren't going to cut it. I suspect, they have their hands full comissioning all these TV shows at the moment. Perhaps if the ruoured Netflix buy-out goes through they could look to push gaming more, but I think this will be years away.

23. Tech198 macrumors G5

ah, there will be a newer one, there has to be, otherwise Apple will call it quits in the entertainment market.

As long as you have sets that can support better technologies like 8K,, why wouldn't there be another ATV.

24. Closingracer macrumors 68040

In 2018 Lmao? 8k is not a thing yet for the mainstream and won't be for years.