Apple TV App Now Available on Select 2019 LG TVs

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

LG today announced that the Apple TV app and accompanying Apple TV+ streaming service are now available on select 2019 LG TVs in the United States and more than 80 other countries.

The addition of the Apple TV app to LG's 2019 TV lineup follows the CES debut of new 2020 models that come with the Apple TV app pre-installed.

LG TV owners can access the Apple TV app from the LG Home app Launcher, and along with Apple TV+, LG users can also subscribe to Apple channels and access their iTunes libraries to rent, purchase, and watch TV shows and movies.

The TVs that support the Apple TV app are also compatible with AirPlay 2, allowing users to share or mirror content from the iPhone, iPad, or Mac directly to an LG TV.

TV models that feature the Apple TV app as of today include the 2019 LED TVs and NanoCell TVs (series SM9X and SM8X). LG says that later in the month, the Apple TV app will also roll out on select UHD UM7X and UM6X models. The app will be available on 2020 models at launch.

In the future, LG also plans to bring the Apple TV app to 2018 models, but that won't be happening until later this year.

Article Link: Apple TV App Now Available on Select 2019 LG TVs

s66

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2016
Till LG learns to support their slightly older OLED models with new software, I'll not buy anything new from them. [We have a 77" OLED that's a few years old (OLED77G7), and feel abandoned by LG]
Using the vote by where I spend money once it get'll replaced.

Last edited:

twolf2919

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2014
I know this is kind of off-topic, but has anyone heard anything definitive about when the 2020 models will be available? Are we talking March, April, ...? I'm interested in either the CX or GX. Currently the latter doesn't even seem to show meaningful specs on the LG site (it still says it needs a VESA 300x300 wall mount - even though various news sources said that it requires an LG-custom mount).

4jasontv

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2011
Till LG learns to support their slightly older OLED models with new software, I'll not buy anything new from them. [We have a 77" OLED that's a few years old (OLED77G7), and feel abandoned by LG]
LG doesn’t support any of their TVs as far as I am concerned. They had my 2018 TV for 6 months before they returned it unfixed because the issue was within limits. The backlighting made the TV look checkerboard and the repair person was blown away. the only thing LG adds is ads.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Never rely on OS updates by TV manufacturers. No matter how expensive your TV is, you're buying it for the sheer size. The OS is crap and should be ignored. Buy Apple TV or Roku so that you can upgrade your smart box for cheap.

nutmac

macrumors 601
Mar 30, 2004
None of the TV makers, saved except for Vizio, give any crap about their existing customers. They want you to either buy a new TV model while collecting and sell your viewing habits (Vizio included).

The only real solution is getting Apple TV, which sadly, is being neglected (both the hardware and tvOS).

pweicks

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2016
USA
Would be interesting to see how this affects the Apple TV. If they start making the TV app available out of the box for TVs, maybe Apple will push the Apple TV more into gaming. Which they kinda already been doing anyways, it seems.

Reactions: Dj64Mk7

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
None of the TV makers, saved except for Vizio, give any crap about their existing customers. They want you to either buy a new TV model while collecting and sell your viewing habits (Vizio included).

The only real solution is getting Apple TV, which sadly, is being neglected (both the hardware and tvOS).
The TV business is so ripe for disruption. A new entrant that comes in and provides Apple level of design, customer service and regular updates would own the industry, leaving the existing dinosaurs scrambling. I wish that were Apple itself but I've given up waiting.

M.PaulCezanne

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2014
I’ll bet providing the app to 2018 TVs “later this year” is a shakedown. They’re probably hoping more 2018 owners will upgrade.

i wish Apple would work out the supply chain issues that caused them to abandon the tv project. If they can make an absurdly expensive Pro Display, surely they can make a profitable tv panel.

Guda.FL

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2015
I have a 3k sony from last year. It supports nothing now, but was their top of line.

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
I don’t really use the built-in apps on my C9. I prefer the Apple TV 4K. Though I will say that I like their mouse-like remote and wouldn’t be opposed to Apple adding that functionality to a future remote design.

Reactions: djcerla

FightTheFuture

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
The TV business is so ripe for disruption. A new entrant that comes in and provides Apple level of design, customer service and regular updates would own the industry, leaving the existing dinosaurs scrambling. I wish that were Apple itself but I've given up waiting.
Oddly enough it was Vizio that originally disrupted the TV industry as HD was starting out.

A TV with HomePod quality speakers and Apple TV interface would be a slam dunk. But Apple would never get into this market.

macpro2000

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2005
Oddly enough it was Vizio that originally disrupted the TV industry as HD was starting out.

A TV with HomePod quality speakers and Apple TV interface would be a slam dunk. But Apple would never get into this market.
Anyone who wants quality sound will already have a surround system set up. The rest of the herd, which is >90% will deal with the crap sound that comes out of it.

budselectjr

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2009
Minnesota
My C7 OLED got Disney+ automatically installed like day 1. Disney must have signed some special deal with them I guess because that obviously wasn't a problem.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
I have a 65” LG OLED. The picture is astounding. By far the best thing on the market. But I agree with other posters that the software updates have essentially stopped. Really unfortunate given the substantial cost.

Reactions: Applebot1

chatin

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2005
Marketwatch out with scathing report on Apple TV+ saying it has less than 10 million subscribers and only 10% of eligible "free trials" are activated. $60 million in revenue vs. billions spent on programming.

scoobydoo99

Cancelled
Mar 11, 2003
I'm not sure why anyone would use this vs. a real Apple TV (?) It seems that you would just be letting LG harvest all of your activity to sell to third parties. I have a 65" LG OLED, and I would never let it connect to the internet. I couldn't care less about TV software updates - I want my TV to be "dumb" and just play whatever my Apple TV feeds it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.