Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As expected, the Apple TV app is now available for download on PlayStation 4 and Playstation 5.

playstation-apple-tv.jpg
Image credit: Sigmund Judge

The Apple TV app lives within the PS5's dedicated media space, and offers users access to the $4.99-per-month Apple TV+ subscription service, which offers original TV shows, movies, documentaries, and premium Apple TV Channels.

The TV app also features access to Apple's library of iTunes Store content, as well as content from third-party providers like Showtime and Starz.

The launch of the Apple TV app coincides with Thursday's launch of the PlayStation 5 in the United States, Canada, Mexico, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, and South Korea, with availability extending to more countries on November 19.

PlayStation 4 owners globally can download the Apple TV+ app from the PlayStation Network.

Earlier this week, the Apple TV app also came to Xbox One, Xbox Series X, and Xbox Series S. The Apple TV app is also available on select Samsung, Sony, LG, and Vizio TVs, as well as Roku and Amazon Fire TV devices.

Article Link: Apple TV App Now Available to Download on PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5

Jarman74

Contributor
Mar 22, 2009
This is great news. Can anyone confirm whether Dolby Atmos audio is available on the PS5 version only?

Hermes Monster

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2010
UK
PlayStation search is terrible, Apple TV was about two pages of scrolling down after searching specifically for Apple TV - I was starting to think it wasn’t there yet

Reactions: RFolk and Ar40

laurieballard

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2016
We bought a Firestick 4K a few months back and I noticed the Apple TV app was on that. Figured I might be able to ditch the Apple TV 4K we have but the picture quality on the Firestick seems rubbish compared to the Apple TV, not sure why to be honest. Even the sound through the Sonos setup from the Firestick is poor compared to the ATV, again not sure why but I won't be getting rid of the ATV just yet...

Benios

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2020
Do we already know if the PS5/ new XBOX will support AirPlay 2 with screen mirroring etc. ? Unfortunately I guess not, quite a lot of people wouldn't need an Apple TV any more. So the new consoles just have the Apple TV app?

itsmeaustend

Suspended
Apr 27, 2016
Do we already know if the PS5/ new XBOX will support AirPlay 2 with screen mirroring etc. ? Unfortunately I guess not, quite a lot of people wouldn't need an Apple TV any more. So the new consoles just have the Apple TV app?
It’s rumoured the PS5 will be HomeKit compatible in the future.

tardegrade

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2009
Devon, UK.
This is great news. Got a 12 month trial with the new iPhone 12 but my LG OLED 4K is too antiquated for the native app, as it's a 2018 model. (If you can believe that). This is far better than forking out for another box or stick.

Just installed it works a treat.

bebarhood

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2019
Generally speaking, what is the best viewing experience when it comes to viewing streaming services (Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.) ?

Is it the native app on the TV OS (Samsung, Sony, LG), Gaming consule (PS4,PS5, XBox,etc.) or other streaming devices (Shield, Roku, etc.)?

G725

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2016
With all those apps on third party devices they maybe don't plan to bring out an updated Apple TV device.
Buying one now seems like a bad deal because the current generation is already more than 3 years old and the price didn't really drop since the release.

ipponrg

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
This is great news. Can anyone confirm whether Dolby Atmos audio is available on the PS5 version only?

From FlatpanelsHD:

"Dolby Atmos decoding does not appear to be supported. However, PS5 must support Atmos bitstreaming (to let your receiver/soundbar decode Atmos) for Blu-ray and UHD Blu-ray in order to be compliant (just like Blu-ray in PS4)."

So in other words, it sounds like you can get Dolby Atmos via passthrough but not directly from the PS5.

Reactions: Jarman74

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
Not sure why I own an Apple TV at this point...

I own 4. It’s alol I use around the house, and I’m not even an Apple TV+ subscriber. I feel like with more frequent updates, and more control I rather go straight to the device versus through a 3rd party device. But again, I’m not an Apple TV + subscriber.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
We bought a Firestick 4K a few months back and I noticed the Apple TV app was on that. Figured I might be able to ditch the Apple TV 4K we have but the picture quality on the Firestick seems rubbish compared to the Apple TV, not sure why to be honest. Even the sound through the Sonos setup from the Firestick is poor compared to the ATV, again not sure why but I won't be getting rid of the ATV just yet...

The 4K Fire Stick works great with my 4K TV.

My TV supports AirPlay on its own. Another reason I don't want Apple TV anymore.

Not sure why I own an Apple TV at this point...

I got tired of waiting for them to release a unit to replace the 2017 model. Now that I know I can watch ATV+ in multiple different ways I'm good.

itsmeaustend

Suspended
Apr 27, 2016
With all those apps on third party devices they maybe don't plan to bring out an updated Apple TV device.
Buying one now seems like a bad deal because the current generation is already more than 3 years old and the price didn't really drop since the release.
I don’t think this is true. You can’t play Apple Arcade on these devices getting ATV+. Nor can you use Apple Music or use the device as a HomeHub (Even if it supports HomeKit).

I think they’ll release a new Apple TV. They’re just waiting for the right time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.