Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Dolby Atmos support for the newly released Apple TV app and AirPlay 2 on select LG smart TVs is coming in a software update "later this year," an LG spokesperson has confirmed to FlatpanelsHD.com.

lg-apple-tv-app-dolby-atmos.jpg

Earlier this week, LG announced that the Apple TV app and accompanying ?Apple TV?+ streaming service are now available on select 2019 LG smart TVs in the United States and more than 80 other countries. This follows the CES debut of LG's new 2020 models that come with the ?Apple TV? app preinstalled out of the box.

Dolby Atmos was developed to give sound from movies and TV shows a more three-dimensional effect. Rather than being constrained to channels, sounds can be precisely placed and moved in three-dimensional space.

Dolby Atmos is also supported on the Apple TV 4K running tvOS 12 or later.

Article Link: Apple TV App on Select LG Smart TVs Will Support Dolby Atmos Sound 'Later This Year'

SaxPlayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Dorset, England
Don't get me started on this again. No AppleTV+ app on LG TV's that are older than 2019 but perfectly capable of running those apps?

Don't get me wrong I love my 2017 LG OLED but they've seriously hacked me off by not providing support for applications like AppleTV+ that the set could easily handle. It supports 4K Netflix in Dolby Vision so there's no reason I can think of that they can't support AppleTV+ too.

I won't be buying an LG next time.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Don't get me started on this again. No AppleTV+ app on LG TV's that are older than 2019 but perfectly capable of running those apps?

Don't get me wrong I love my 2017 LG OLED but they've seriously hacked me off by not providing support for applications like AppleTV+ that the set could easily handle. It supports 4K Netflix in Dolby Vision so there's no reason I can think of that they can't support AppleTV+ too.
I have the 2018 LG C8 OLED, and don’t get the Apple TV app either, but I don’t really care that much. I’d rather just use the Apple TV 4K, because that way I get my Dolby Atmos.

The Apple TV app would work better on 2019 LG OLEDs, esp. with Dolby Atmos, because they are the only ones that support HDMI 2.1 and eARC. I tried getting Dolby Atmos to work from my HDMI 2.0 2018 LG OLED with my HDMI 2.0 Marantz receiver, and it just doesn’t work.

That’s a pretty strange reason not to buy an LG next time. Yours is a frickin’ 3 year-old TV. Generally in TVs, if it’s not there when you buy it, don’t expect to ever have it, unless they specifically made a point to announce the upgrade before you bought it. That’s normal for the consumer electronics companies.

SaxPlayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Dorset, England
The Apple TV app would work better on 2019 LG OLEDs, esp. with Dolby Atmos, because they are the only ones that support HDMI 2.1 and eARC. I tried getting Dolby Atmos to work from my HDMI 2.0 2018 LG OLED with my HDMI 2.0 Marantz receiver, and it just doesn’t work.

I hear you and you make a valid point. My position is that AppleTV+ without Dolby Atmos would work fine and doesn't need a super up to date TV to function, as is demonstrated by Netflix and others on the set.

That’s a pretty strange reason not to buy an LG next time. Yours is a frickin’ 3 year-old TV. Generally in TVs, if it’s not there when you buy it, don’t expect to ever have it, unless they specifically made a point to announce the upgrade before you bought it. That’s normal for the consumer electronics companies.

You're not wrong, but just because some tech companies behave like that it doesn't mean that I have to like it. Other tech companies have rolled out support for AppleTV+ to their older sets, so if they can do it...!

medee88

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2015
Austin, TX

Just as a curiosity, do you find using the built in TV apps better then using just an external device? I also have a 2017 LG OLED (C7) and I've honestly never used the built in apps. To me an Apple TV/Roku always seems superior to any TV experience I've messed with.

I honestly wish it was possible to just buy a monitor that looked exactly like the OLED tv with none of the smart stuff at a lower price.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Just as a curiosity, do you find using the built in TV apps better then using just an external device? I also have a 2017 LG OLED (C7) and I've honestly never used the built in apps. To me an Apple TV/Roku always seems superior to any TV experience I've messed with.

I honestly wish it was possible to just buy a monitor that looked exactly like the OLED tv with none of the smart stuff at a lower price.
I use the Apple TV 4K most of the time and not the built in apps on my LG C8. It’s better for Netflix complete with Dolby Atmos support, and of course I get Apple TV + on it. OTOH, the Prime Video app on Apple TV 4K needs work. Crave (Canadian streaming service) is more convenient on Apple TV, and access is built into Apple TV + too.

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere

Yup .. hate smart tv apps .. Like you I wish I could purchase the OLED without it.

stockseer

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2012
Florida
I have the 2018 LG C8 OLED, and don’t get the Apple TV app either, but I don’t really care that much. I’d rather just use the Apple TV 4K, because that way I get my Dolby Atmos.

I concur. By using Apple TV 4k and a fiber internet connection; my 6 year old 78" Samsung has a new lease on life; and in-fact the HDMI inputs can be reset for UHD, which isn't clear when initially buying the 4k set. It's excellent; although there is a bit of sync audio-video lag; which might be helped by HDMI 2.1 and eARC of course.

pgharavi

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2004
Wonder if future external devices (nVidia Shield, XB1X) will get Atmos support.

Stromos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2016
Woodstock, GA
Issue with TVs is just like the issue with Cars. You own them for so long and they aren't setup in a way that they ever keep up with technology.

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005

Just use an AppleTV. It will function better and longer than any TV built in apps

• Disagree
Reactions: Sandstorm

SaxPlayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Dorset, England

I use the Apple TV 4K most of the time and not the built in apps on my LG C8. It’s better for Netflix complete with Dolby Atmos support, and of course I get Apple TV + on it. OTOH, the Prime Video app on Apple TV 4K needs work. Crave (Canadian streaming service) is more convenient on Apple TV, and access is built into Apple TV + too.

Yup .. hate smart tv apps .. Like you I wish I could purchase the OLED without it.

I concur. By using Apple TV 4k and a fiber internet connection; my 6 year old 78" Samsung has a new lease on life; and in-fact the HDMI inputs can be reset for UHD, which isn't clear when initially buying the 4k set. It's excellent; although there is a bit of sync audio-video lag; which might be helped by HDMI 2.1 and eARC of course.

Just use an AppleTV. It will function better and longer than any TV built in apps

Wow. It looks like I'm the only one who uses the built in apps. WebOS is very good on my LG C7 OLED and the built in apps that I use are excellent. Then again, I'm particular about the ones I pick. I use Netflix, BBC iPlayer and YouTube all of which work very well. I'd go as far as saying that the BBC iPlayer app on LG's WebOS is better than the AppleTV version (although that's down to the BBC devs rather than LG).

I agree with comments that a STB plugged in to a TV is always going to be the better long term option, however as I already have all the apps I need built in to my set and an AppleTV would give me (personally) nothing that the LG doesn't already offer, it saves me having an extra box and yet a another remote that will just confuse my gadget hating wife.

Having said all of that, I am going to buy an Apple TV 4K. I have an HD in my kitchen. It's just the fact that the 4K version hasn't been updated for over 2 years and there have been whispers of an update (an unreleased product code in an SDK build last year). So I'm holding fire on it. I'm not desperate so will wait it out.

Hodar1

macrumors regular
Credit where due.
How many other brands are offering current support, on 2+ year old HDTVs?
Samsung? Panasonic? Sony?

Generally speaking, an AppleTV unit is just not that expensive - it will be updated for years, it's running a dedicated OS, has it's own App Store, is fast, networks with other devices and is small and unobtrusive. Opinions will differ on the remote - I hated mine until I bought the $8 silicon case on Amazon.

The HDTV, whether you are talking Samsung, LG, Panasonic, Sony or anyone else - tends to be a fairly cheap, general purpose processor running WebOS or some flavor of Android. It may "work", but it's performance will not compare favorably against either an AppleTV, 4K Roku, 4K Firestick or Chromecast.

I prefer to go the modular route, where I can replace the component, and upgrade over time. My LG has apps I neither use, nor update. It's merely a nice, big 4K monitor; and that's all I ever want it to be.

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
Haha yes unless you have actual speakers in your ceiling you are just getting some fake sound bouncing around your room

Consumer Atmos works better with upfiring speakers to produce a more diffuse sound image. That's because home media mixes those extra channels as "presence" channels. If you actually listen to them, they merely carry background and ambient noise. It's different than cinema where the mixes are intended for large numbers of overhead speakers.

Reactions: pianophile

Koudspeel

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2013

False.. the app including AirPlay 2 will also be available on the 2018 models (just later this year):

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Consumer Atmos works better with upfiring speakers to produce a more diffuse sound image. That's because home media mixes those extra channels as "presence" channels. If you actually listen to them, they merely carry background and ambient noise. It's different than cinema where the mixes are intended for large numbers of overhead speakers.
That may be true for a lot of titles, but that is not the only intent of Atmos. It depends on the mix of course. For example listen to the Atmos mix for Gravity. Very specific placement of sound, including in Atmos speakers.

BTW, I don't use upfiring speakers, but I don't use in-ceiling speakers either. Instead, I just use bookshelf speakers mounted near the ceiling overhead, firing down to the seating position. Yes, it's non-standard, but it works.

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
The sad thing is, Apple could bring ATMOS (and DTS:X) to Macs as well with a simple software update to MacOS. It's rather lame that they haven't.

They do.

The issue is licensing fees. Dolby charges several dollars per unit and Apple doesn't want to pay that for every single unit sold. Same thing with other codecs, like AMR for phone calls.

Meanwhile, Dolby is charging $15 to enable it on Windows.

DTS:X isn't even available on computers, it's been repeatedly delayed.

ThatGuyInLa

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2012
SC
Believe it when I se—hear it. LG has a track record of, “later this year” that never comes for many support promises.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
My TV hasn’t received the update yet. Can this implementation of the TV app access previous purchases?

Cave Man

macrumors 604

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
Wonder if future external devices (nVidia Shield, XB1X) will get Atmos support.

All Xbox One models already support Atmos. Similarly, Windows 10 supports Atmos passthrough with the proper HDMI sound hardware, and Atmos for headphones if you buy the Dolby app. Both were added in late 2017.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.