Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kalafalas

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2008
California
AppleTV/iTunes is great and all, but what about Apple Music or Airplay? I would love to be able to listen to music & game sounds together like my Spotify friends can currently

• Love
Reactions: Localcelebrity

BuffaloTF

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2008
Microsoft should tell Apple they will approve their app the same day Apple approves their xCloud app. ?

Maybe that's part and parcel with this coming to the platform... ;)

That's how it all worked with Prime Video, some give, some take.

Reactions: jinnj

dguisinger

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
So....
I get it
Same rules for everyone right Apple?

So you can release a streaming platform on Xbox that doesn't share revenue to Xbox/Microsoft
But Microsoft can't release a streaming platform on iPhone that doesn't share revenue with Apple

Hypocrites

ccparkhill

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2020
I wonder if the Xbox app will allow bitstreaming audio to an A/V receiver, something the Apple TV can’t do.

Ar40

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2017
Oh man, that's mean, what did Microsoft reviewers do to have to sit through the whole first season of "See"?
What would I do to sit down and watch it for the first time again. What an incredible TV series.

Maconplasma

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2020
One of the smartest things Apple has done was allow the ATV app to be available on non-Apple devices.
Agreed! I also wish Apple would do the same with Apple Music. I have a premium audio system I bought from Best Buy Magnolia and through it's app it plays Spotify content, Pandora and dare I say it, Tidal. For now I have to connect my iPhone through it to play Apple Music.

Maconplasma

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2020
So....
I get it
Same rules for everyone right Apple?

So you can release a streaming platform on Xbox that doesn't share revenue to Xbox/Microsoft
But Microsoft can't release a streaming platform on iPhone that doesn't share revenue with Apple

Hypocrites
You have no idea what you're talking about. If you think Apple gets to put it's app on Xbox "free of charge" and Microsoft gets nothing out of it then you're wrong. Apple has to pay a licensing deal to Microsoft. Furthermore putting an app on a game console is not the same as putting an app on the App Store to be downloaded to mega millions of mobile devices. There are far more iPhones being sold than Xbox's. Before calling Apple a hypocrite get your facts straight. And if Microsoft doesn't have a problem with it then it shouldn't matter to you.

ruka.snow

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
Scotland
Thats not really how generations work at all.

We have historic data showing Sony selling over 100m consoles and only one occasion where the Xbox 360 was close to its rival at the time. And Xbox will continue to mostly be a US centric console so it has a smaller potential user base. If we do see the Xbox Series consoles surpassing Nintendo into second place or even competing 1:1 with Sony then that will be quite an achievement and well deserved given Microsoft have put a lot of work into it, but unlikely as they focus on US centric game genres.

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
I would like to see Apple Music on the Xbox along with the audio mix options from the 360.

markb1

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2015
I wonder if the Xbox app will allow bitstreaming audio to an A/V receiver, something the Apple TV can’t do.

Last time I checked, XBox One lets you select "bitstream out" and then you select the bitstream format, such as Dolby Digital, DTS, or Atmos. But the problem is, with those settings, if you are playing source material that is stereo prologic, the XBox will output blank surround and center channels. This prevents the AV receiver (or at least my AV receiver) from decoding prologic and inserting the missing channels. So to get the best audio always, you have to keep going into the XBox settings and switching back and forth between a surround format and stereo, depending on the source material.

This, IMO, is a fatal flaw of the XBox One as a streaming device.

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
Reactions: Cleartz and jinnj

Sklm

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2017
~/
The first time I read the headline on trueachievement i was thinking the the same Xbox app for iOS (still in beta) which allow to stream from the console (like the xCloud Which don’t work in my country) but stream from my console

so I was super excited (having an Xbox in my room and Apple TV on the living room mean more time in the living room and less time in my room)

but guess I’m not leaving my room anymore ....

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
AppleTV/iTunes is great and all, but what about Apple Music or Airplay? I would love to be able to listen to music & game sounds together like my Spotify friends can currently

Why stop there? The OG Xbox could rip CDs and then games could let you use your music instead of the regular music. That feature is how I ended up replacing my PS2 with an Xbox.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.