Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has released a third trailer for the upcoming comedy series "Dickinson" ahead of its November 1 premiere on Apple TV+.

Dickinson is a half-hour comedy series starring Oscar-nominated actress and singer Hailee Steinfeld. Created, written, and executive produced by Alena Smith, the series explores the constraints of society, gender, and family from the perspective of rebellious young poet Emily Dickinson, according to Apple.

Apple TV+ is Apple's upcoming subscription-based streaming video service, launching November 1 in over 100 countries and regions. The platform will eventually offer dozens of original TV shows and movies, such as "The Morning Show," "See," "For All Mankind," "Snoopy in Space," and "The Elephant Queen."

Here are the previous two trailers for Dickinson:

Apple TV+ will be available on the Apple TV app on iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Mac, and other platforms, including online at tv.apple.com, for $4.99 per month with a seven-day free trial. Since September 10, customers who purchase any iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, iPod touch, or Mac can get one year of Apple TV+ for free.

Article Link: Apple TV+ Comedy Series 'Dickinson' Previewed in New 'Immortality' Trailer

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
As interesting as all these shows may be, with Apple, and HBO, and Disney, and Netflix, and the networks, etc. etc. flinging all this content at us it’s getting a little overwhelming. Choice is a good thing, but I’m feeling like I want to sit down with a good book. Made of paper.

sidewinder3000

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2010
Chicagoland
Aha! This trailer actually looks fairly interesting. I’d suspected that the problem with all the early video I’ve seen on Apple’s new shows was that they might just be poorly edited trailers, and this confirms that possibility. This preview looks and feels fundamentally different than the early Dickinson trailers. It’s less plodding and clunky, and the overall tone and timing are much snappier.

Editing trailers is a completely different skill than editing a film or a TV show, often done by a completely different department and team than the people who edited the content. I’m not sure who Apple has editing all of their trailers, but most of them look pretty flat to me. I am hoping that this is simply a lack of experience at editing previews, that the shows themselves are more compelling, and that they up their marketing game soon.

Reactions: 15ngcs1

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
(hopefully I don't upset anyone, but here's how I feel) ...

Feels like an American show that's over-zealous, trying too hard to be an "old-fashioned" story, but with a modern twist. "Siiiiick!" ...huh? They didn't say that back then.

Their skin, hair, teeth and makeup are too perfect to the point of looking fake.

Maybe the idea of "comedy" is changing. Hopefully these trailers are not doing the actual show true justice.

Reactions: ipponrg

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
(hopefully I don't upset anyone, but here's how I feel) ...

Feels like an American show that's over-zealous, trying too hard to be an "old-fashioned" story, but with a modern twist. "Siiiiick!" ...huh? They didn't say that back then.

Their skin, hair, teeth and makeup are too perfect to the point of looking fake.

Maybe the idea of "comedy" is changing. Hopefully these trailers are not doing the actual show true justice.

I think this show is the one I look forward the least. It could surprise me who knows. At least I don’t have to pay for it.

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
Still, there is not a single show announced for Apple TV+ that I am even remotely interested in. I am beginning to wonder if I am actually a part of Apple‘s target demographic at all.

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2010
I think this show is the one I look forward the least. It could surprise me who knows. At least I don’t have to pay for it.

You already paid for it, with all those Apple devices you list below your signature...

I'd rather be charged a monthly fee and have it be good content vs baked into all my devices and the content be garbage....

Reactions: MentalFloss

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
You already paid for it, with all those Apple devices you list below your signature...

I'd rather be charged a monthly fee and have it be good content vs baked into all my devices and the content be garbage....

Those I bought long before there’s TV+. GTFO!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.