Apple TV+ Drama Series 'Truth Be Told' Premieres in Los Angeles Ahead of December 6 Debut

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple premiered its limited drama series "Truth Be Told" at The Samuel Goldwyn Theater in Los Angeles, California, on Monday night.

Octavia Spencer

Set to debut on Apple TV+ next month, the show stars Octavia Spencer in the role of Poppy Parnell, a podcaster who aims to reopen a murder case that she was involved in solving 18 years earlier that put Warren Cave (played by Aaron Paul) behind bars.

Spencer's character is unsure if she made a mistake when she helped put Paul's character (Warren Cave) in prison, and with her podcast, she tries to discover the truth and determine whether Cave was wrongfully convicted.

Based on the novel by Kathleen Barber, "Truth Be Told" is said to offer a unique glimpse into America's obsession with true crime podcasts and challenges its viewers to consider the consequences when the pursuit of justice is placed on a public stage.

Beginning December 6, the first three episodes of "Truth Be Told" will be available to watch on Apple TV+ in over 100 countries and regions around the world, with new episodes rolling out weekly, every Friday. You can watch the trailer for the series here.

Left to right: Haneefah Wood, Mekhi Phifer, Ron Cephas Jones, Annabella Sciorra, Elizabeth Perkins, Reese Witherspoon, Nichelle Tramble Spellman, Octavia Spencer, Aaron Paul, Michael Beach.

Apple TV+ costs $4.99 per month with a family of six able to watch for that price point. Apple is also providing customers who purchase an Apple TV, Mac, iPad, or iPhone with a free one-year subscription.

Article Link: Apple TV+ Drama Series 'Truth Be Told' Premieres in Los Angeles Ahead of December 6 Debut

Last edited:
Reactions: 15ngcs1

ascender

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2005
Premise sounds ok to me, will give it a go.

I do think people need to realign expectations about the quality of shows we're going to get form a brand new startup studio which is exactly what Apple is. Look around at the amount of content being produced by established studios and the new-starts - there's an awful lot of dross out there. There's an awful lot of average shows (which will find an audience) and then the number of very good shows is a tiny percentage of that overall total.

The amount of shows which go on to become all-time greats - Sopranos, The Wire, Breaking Bad etc don't come along very often at all. And in the case of Breaking Bad, can take years to get that recognition.

Patience people!

Ar40

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2017
I couldn’t get through the trailer
The trailer is amazing! What planet are you from?
- - Post merged: - -

I love all the users who come here to praise Disney+ and bash Apple+. Once the rest of the world actually sees the dearth of content available on Disney's service, your comments will be enshrined here for us to laugh at.

Duel

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2011
Starting to wonder if Apple will pull out of this entire venture if every show is a dud.
Dud?

Audience like the shows a lot, i wonder have there ever been better launch for Any video service? All of their biggest shows are getting great support and ratings from audience. For example See is currently imdb most popular tv show and morning show at place 5. Dickinson is getting very good feedback too.

Bolanders

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2019
Just watched the trailer and I agree. How once could watch that trailer and not think that is compelling is laughable. I guess if it doesn't have over the top violence or dragons or super heroes (in other words fake kid like stuff) it doesn't appeal to the masses.

Reactions: 15ngcs1 and Ar40

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
So does Reese Witherspoon have something to do with this show or is she just used for Apple PR?

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
I'm still trying to figure out which USP Apple TV+ is actually based on - especially compared to Disney+ which also offers original content, but in addition to 7500 TV episodes and 500 movies.

Reactions: decypher44

Ar40

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2017
I'm still trying to figure out which USP Apple TV+ is actually based on - especially compared to Disney+ which also offers original content, but in addition to 7500 TV episodes and 500 movies.
It’s an entirely new model. Originals without the backlog. Trim the fat. I want new content not old.

I can go back and watch reruns on Hulu.

Reactions: jaredlipsitz

cardfan

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2012
It’s an entirely new model. Originals without the backlog. Trim the fat. I want new content not old.

I can go back and watch reruns on Hulu.
I’m all for that actually. It’s just that Apple has to connect with my interests yet. Sci-fi. But good sci-fi. Mankind is more alternative history. See has blind people killing it. Hopefully they got more series in store. I hate seeing the renewals. Just takes up their budget with stuff I know I don’t like.

Reactions: entropys and Ar40

Ar40

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2017
Was able to check out the Disney+ app this morning. Content looks amazing!
Negative on that front. I checked out the Disney+ app and found horrible and childish originals. Who wants a show about a fork? Noelle - seriously? Pixar IRL and Marvel "Heroes" that has nothing to do with Marvel characters? And releasing only one episode a week and starting with only one episode? What a crock of garbage.

They have only a few of the Marvel movies in their backlog also. And I have watched all the other old Disney content that appealed to me when they were released - purchased/rented through iTunes years ago.
- - Post merged: - -

I’m all for that actually. It’s just that Apple has to connect with my interests yet. Sci-fi. But good sci-fi. Mankind is more alternative history. See has blind people killing it. Hopefully they got more series in store. I hate seeing the renewals. Just takes up their budget with stuff I know I don’t like.
For All Mankind is going to go places though. It's starting with a very grounded take on reality but I predict it will end up with colonization of Mars and an extra-planetary space force, like a more realistic take on Star Trek Enterprise, without actual aliens (only my assumption btw). Ronald Moore is Star Trek TNG and BSG royalty and he has 7 seasons planned for this show.

Also, SEE is the most groundbreaking idea for a post-apocalyptic epic I have ever seen. Nobody else would have the guts or fortitude to even give a crack at this idea. I really like how the producers pulled off the blind element - it is a very believable world to me (See the noise ropes connecting houses, and whips/sticks/dogs/horses to guide the blind).

icanhazapple

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2009
Dud?

Audience like the shows a lot, i wonder have there ever been better launch for Any video service? All of their biggest shows are getting great support and ratings from audience. For example See is currently imdb most popular tv show and morning show at place 5. Dickinson is getting very good feedback too.
Acclaim has no link to the number of AppleTV+ subscribers. Very interested in hearing what the total ATV+ subscriber count is.