Apple TV Gains New FXNOW Channel

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today added the FXNOW channel to the Apple TV, providing users with content from the FXNOW network. Previously rumored in July, the new FXNOW channel is the on-demand portion of the FX, FXX, and FXM television channels, all of which are owned by the Fox Entertainment Group.

Rumors suggested the FXNOW Apple TV channel would include content from The Simpsons, branded Simpsons World, which includes all 552 episodes of The Simpsons. Early reports on the channel suggested users would be able to create playlists of episodes and share favorite scenes. Currently, however, the channel offers a variety of content from FX, including episodes of The Strain and Sons of Anarchy.

Like many cable-based channels on the Apple TV, much of the FXNOW content require cable authentication. Supported cable providers for the FXNOW channel include AT&T, Cablevision, Comcast, Cox, and Time-Warner.

Article Link: Apple TV Gains New FXNOW Channel

terrymr

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2006
Why bother ?

I don't understand the point of a channel being on the Apple TV if I need to get a cable subscription to watch it. Why not offer a subscription through the itunes store ?

Reactions: xdhd350

Justinb51

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
I got rid of cable tv, all these channels that require a cable subscription are no good at all for me. When I did have cable I wouldn't watch it on the apple tv anyway, it was available on the cable box... the way these channels work is all wrong.

jmcgeejr

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2010
Seattle, WA
We need an ATV app store. come on Apple.
Pretty much, if they didnt do an app store at least the ability to create your own (such as plexconnect without the trailer/imovie etc hijack), every time I see new content provider I just go in and hide it, I dont give a rats ass about them.

dbc34

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2014
Android TV box? Are they any good? I have friends that use them and don't have cable.

aprofetto8

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
I'm convinced this is what Jobs meant when he said he had finally cracked the TV.

Let people still go through their cable providers like usual, but allow them to watch their content on the Apple TV by way of apps.

Cable providers still get their customers, and customers can watch their paid for content on the Apple TV.

Elbon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
Boston, MA
"Like many cable-based channels on the Apple TV, much of the FXNOW content require cable authentication."

So, like all other cable-based channels on the Apple TV, I will be hiding the FXNOW channel.

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
I just don't get the benefit of all these channels that require cable authentication. If I wanted cable, I would just plug cable into my projector instead of my ATV. Just another useless icon to me.

Reactions: xdhd350

vmachiel

macrumors 68000
Feb 15, 2011
Holland
I got rid of cable tv, all these channels that require a cable subscription are no good at all for me. When I did have cable I wouldn't watch it on the apple tv anyway, it was available on the cable box... the way these channels work is all wrong.
Yep You'll have to pay cable no matter what. All these "channels" they add are just vaporware:(

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
Yea...6 years in and I still don't get Apple TV. If I'm already paying for cable I'll just use their built-in On Demand service and DVR any show I want to watch at a later time.

Just don't get why I would pay $99 and take up more space in my TV stand for the same content I already pay for. Someone please enlighten me.:confused:

iMacRW

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
Login

Can you login if you are a Dish Network subscriber? I am finding that if you are a Dish subscriber, many of the channels you can't login even if you are a subscriber. Very disappointing.

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013
Dear Apple,

If we're going to be stuck with cable/satellite authentication required for the near term, how %!$#ing hard would it be to have a single sign-in capability on the :apple:TV???

Reactions: GreginNJ

caligomez

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2011
San Juan, PR
Here's hoping Apple is building their inventory to eventually flip the switch where no cable subscription is needed.
I don't think that's up to Apple.. No network wants to bite the hand that feeds them (cable companies). So we'll just be stuck on this merry go round until a major player (like HBO) decides to cut the cord.

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013
Yea...6 years in and I still don't get Apple TV. If I'm already paying for cable I'll just use their built-in On Demand service and DVR any show I want to watch at a later time.

Just don't get why I would pay $99 and take up more space in my TV stand for the same content I already pay for. Someone please enlighten me.:confused:
Because it does more than just deliver those channels, and if you're adding this on a 2nd or 3rd TV, that's one less "box" you're renting from the cable company at anywhere from $5 to $20 a month.

EvilShenaniganZ

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2009

I don't have a DVR in my room. The setup my roomates have is kinda one person use. If the main room is busy I use my Apple TV to watch tv/movies. It works awseome. So for some it's perfect.

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
That's great Apple, now for the rest of the world...

Apple should simply stop selling Apple TV outside the US because it is actually a dismal product when used elsewhere.

Apple when you are ready to take this product out of hobby status and support major markets outside of the US, let the rest of us know.

DJsteveSD

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2011
Dallas, TX
with :apple:TV and the channels you have access to more of those channels back catalogue on demand as opposed to the cable "on demend" where it's usually just the last several eposides that are available, at least on Cox. I watched all of HBO's "True Blood" from season 1 on Apple TV cause it wasnt available on demand from Cox.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Texas
You guys realize that it's the networks & providers that require the cable subscription in order to access these apps and not Apple right?? :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.