Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaffyDuck

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
Why bother ?

I don't understand the point of a channel being on the Apple TV if I need to get a cable subscription to watch it. Why not offer a subscription through the itunes store ?

There is no point from our perspective. It's basically a glorified cable ad.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Yea...6 years in and I still don't get Apple TV. If I'm already paying for cable I'll just use their built-in On Demand service and DVR any show I want to watch at a later time.

Just don't get why I would pay $99 and take up more space in my TV stand for the same content I already pay for. Someone please enlighten me.:confused:

Many people use their ATV to bring cable content to a secondary TV in their house. Be it for a playroom for the kids or the bedroom, without the need to get an extra cable box which is an additional charge.

my pay tv provider charges extra for whole house DVR, but with the ATV I have access to more on demand content than I get from my standard, God awful cable box.

Reactions: GreginNJ

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Dear Apple,

If we're going to be stuck with cable/satellite authentication required for the near term, how %!$#ing hard would it be to have a single sign-in capability on the :apple:TV???

I wouldn't be surprised if this is done at the cable channel level. Don't get me wrong I agree, it would be nice. But I am noticing most want you to enter a four digit code to access the content.

But for channels like this, you should be able to pick your provider. Does a search for all the channels you currently have, if this one or that one falls in line with what you have. It authenticates and you are good to go!

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Many people use their ATV to bring cable content to a secondary TV in their house. Be it for a playroom for the kids or the bedroom, without the need to get an extra cable box which is an additional charge.

my pay tv provider charges extra for whole house DVR, but with the ATV I have access to more on demand content than I get from my standard, God awful cable box.

This. I refuse to pay Comcast $17 per month for a DVR.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
No Verizon Fios

I just now realized that Verizon Fios is not participating in this, we'll at least not yet.

This is strange considering you can use FoxNow with Fios.

GreginNJ

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2015
I wish, I dream....

Wouldn't it be great if the BBC would be added to Apple TV.

Best of BBC:
• British Sitcoms
• BBC Earth (brilliant stuff like Planet Earth, Africa, etc.)
• ...etc.
• And, of course, Top Gear (all episodes)

And, while I'm at the British stuff, Sky Sports, please. All the Live stuff.

That'd be awesome. I'd even pay for that. I think it might not happen because of BBC America.

DonaldDraper

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2015
Maryland
People keep saying they dont understand how this is beneficial...

I've got 5 tv's and one cable box with a package that has FX...for the other 4 tv's I have only an apple tv connected. This allows me to save the $40+ per month that xfinity would charge me for having multiple boxes just to watch American Horror Story or Game of Thrones in multiple rooms. Its actually very handy.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
People keep saying they dont understand how this is beneficial...

I've got 5 tv's and one cable box with a package that has FX...for the other 4 tv's I have only an apple tv connected. This allows me to save the $40+ per month that xfinity would charge me for having multiple boxes just to watch American Horror Story or Game of Thrones in multiple rooms. Its actually very handy.

Same thing here. We have two ATV's and we only have cable connected to the living room TV. However, we have the ATV in both rooms connected to our cable subscription so if we want to watch ESPN or FX in the bedroom, we're able to that. Plus, it puts an extra $10/month in our pocket that we would otherwise be paying to Comcast for a cable receiver in the bedroom.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.