Apple TV Games from Pangea Software Support 3DTVs

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Pangea Software today announced that all of its tvOS apps designed for the new fourth-generation Apple TV include support for 3DTVs, allowing users to play the company's games in 3D.
All of our tvOS games will support 3DTV :) https://t.co/n7vhShqMdG - Pangea Software, Inc (@PangeaSoftware) October 29, 2015

Developer Steven Troughton-Smith shared an image of Pangea Software game Bugdom 2 in 3D on the Apple TV earlier today, after which the company confirmed in a press release that its entire lineup of apps will offer 3DTV support. The 3DTV support is implemented using side-by-side 3D, which is a standard 3D implementation technique compatible with all 3DTVs.

Image via Steven Troughton-Smith​
All of Pangea's games have the capability of playing in stereo-3D on any HDTV which is 3DTV capable. This not only adds an extra visual element to the games, but in many cases it gives the player an advantage since 3D makes it easier to aim weapons and calculate jumps. Additionally, all of the games are Game Controller compatible, so they can be played with either the Siri Remote or with any tvOS compatible Gamepad.
Pangea Software offers a wide range of games in the iOS App Store that are available on tvOS as of today, including Air Wings, Nanosaur 2, Nucleus, Otto Matic, and Bugdom 2. In the future, additional games from the company will be available for the Apple TV, including Cro-Mag Rally and Air Wings Intergalactic.

Article Link: Apple TV Games from Pangea Software Support 3DTVs

AnsonX10

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2009
4/20
Brian's textures (and GUIs) were originally intended for 640x480 to 1024x768 displays, so 4k isn't that big of a drawback for these kinds of games. lol <3 Brian

Reactions: orbital~debris

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
I've been a Pangea fan since I was about 7 and we got our first iMac that included Bugdom (1) for free on it. Then over the years I've played pretty much all of their games. This is pretty cool, offering 3DTV support! I hope I'll get to try it out someday, since I don't have a 3DTV. :)

Last edited:

soheilk

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2014
Wow, just wow! People talk about how Roku/Chromecast/Amazon Fire TV are superior to Apple Tv 4 yet they all forget the most important feature of it: the TV appstore! If iOS is of any indication, you all know that the tvOS appstore is going to become THE place for all developers creating a tv app, not Roku, not Chromecast, not Amazon Fire TV (i don't even know what their appstores are called)... And at the end of the day, that's what customers need, not the fri***ing 4K support

Last edited:

macbwizard

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2005
I miss the original Nanosaur! I wish they would rerelease it with updated graphics. Much better than Nanosaur 2.

mattyj2001

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2015
Bahaha so many people here are going to **** bricks when they read there is 3D but no 4K. o_O:p
They say it's 'side-by-side', which means the Apple TV itself isn't supporting it. The stream will display the left and right eye images side-by-side and it'll be up to your TV to merge them together.

[REDACTED]

Last edited:
Reactions: k1121j

Scottcy

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2015
They say it's 'side-by-side', which means the Apple TV itself isn't supporting it. The stream will display the left and right eye images side-by-side and it'll be up to your TV to merge them together.

The picture above is not of a side-by-side image and is a bit misleading.
Once the 3DTV converts/merges the side by side then that is what the image looks like prior to putting on your glasses.

meegwell

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2014
Sorry naysayers but I'm thinking the tvOS App Store is going to launch the ATV4 well out ahead of all those little gadgets competing with the ATV3...just my opinion, we all have them. Damn thing hasn't even really launched yet!

Reactions: odds

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
One note on this: using side-by-side to get 3D cuts the horizontal resolution in half... So each eye really sees 960x1080 pixels.

Not a deal breaker... but not as ideal as the ATV supporting proper 3D: 1080P frame interleaving like 3D BluRay players.

Still cool... but Apple really missed an opportunity to load up the ATV with some differentiating features from some of those other "sticks".

TallGuyGT

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2011
NYC
I miss 3D gaming on the PS3. It made racing games in particular very immersive. The Motorstorm 3D games were awesome. I didn't expect the AppleTV to have native 3D support, but side-by-side works.

If you haven't tried true 3D gaming, it can be very impressive. Much better than the post converted 3D crap movies that Hollywood puts out.

jinnj

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2011
One note on this: using side-by-side to get 3D cuts the horizontal resolution in half... So each eye really sees 960x1080 pixels.

Not a deal breaker... but not as ideal as the ATV supporting proper 3D: 1080P frame interleaving like 3D BluRay players.

Still cool... but Apple really missed an opportunity to load up the ATV with some differentiating features from some of those other "sticks".
As the owner of a couple of Rokus, an Apple TV 3 and a FireTV Stick. The App Store will be the only thing Apple needs to outshine the rest of the player. Roku store is sub-par. Unless you have a need for yet another re-packaging of Archive.org's content or maybe you need another religious channel.

The 4K nuts are at the same level as the 3D TV nuts were a few years ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.