Apple TV+ Gets First Comedy Series With Launch of 'Mythic Quest: Raven's Banquet'

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I might have just accidentally finished watching the entire season. It has moments of brilliance, it took turns I didn't expect, and left me wanting to know what happens next with the characters. I think it did pretty damn good for a first season of something, from a studio (studio? network? streaming service?) that's only on their first season of everything.

It spends a lot of time being funny, with people being a bit off the rails, but has surprising moments of poignancy (one in particular that you won't get unless you watch the whole season, that I want to say how touching I found it to be, but I can't say much without giving it away).

I will look forward to the next season.

(P.S. At least two of the episodes have mid-credit (ish) scenes - now I'm wondering if I missed any others.)
I feel the same way. I binged all but the final two episodes. I believe it was episode 5, but it was a standalone episode and I really enjoyed it.

Reactions: Ar40

agffth

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2014
I watched the first two episodes this weekend. I liked the idea of the show but I didn't find any of the characters likable. The two testers were the only ones somewhat likeable but I'm not really sure why they are in the show at the moment. I definitely won't be subscribing or using the free trial to finish the season. I might finish it if a couple of new shows come on Apple+ that makes me sign up for a month.

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
- - Post merged: - -

Caught the first 15 min. of the pilot. I. m. h. o. it sucked like a gaping chest wound. Come on, Apple, you can't get away with putting out lame stuff like this.
I'm only two episodes in and I thought the first episode didn't really have any laughs in it. I said I'd give it one more chance and watched episode 2 and found it way better and funny. You might want to try Ep. 2 before you call it quits.

• Love

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I'm only two episodes in and I thought the first episode didn't really have any laughs in it. I said I'd give it one more chance and watched episode 2 and found it way better and funny. You might want to try Ep. 2 before you call it quits.
I found the pilot to be the weakest episodes in season 1. It actually gets better with each episode and episode 5, which has unrelated characters, was actually my favorite.

Reactions: Ar40 and iOS Geek

iOS Geek

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2017
Apple TV is competing with HBO not Disney, not Nick JR. Beginning and end of story. If you have needs you should write your own show for PBS or something.

Mature themed shows have always been in the minority and behind barriers like needing an HBO subscription. I welcome this new content.

You still have Hallmark, Lifetime, History, Disney, Nick, PBS, etc.

This is literally an optional streaming service. If you don't like the playground you can play elsewhere. That's the glory of choice. Coming here to complain you don't like Apple programming is pointless. No one is forcing you to watch.
I welcome it as well. I'm actually quite surprised at what Apple is choosing to work with. Being totally honest, I didn't expect a lot of sexual stuff or language. (or as in the third episode of MQ...I definitely didn't expect the Nazi stuff). I also couldn't help but laugh when they called the 14 year old a piece of s***. 😂 I definitely thought Apple would go more "family friendly" and shy away from things like this. That being said...I'm actually a little happy that I was wrong! Apple definitely doesn't seem to be going the "censor" route. It's refreshing, for lack of a better word.

I found the pilot to be the weakest episodes in season 1. It actually gets better with each episode and episode 5, which has unrelated characters, was actually my favorite.
Agreed about the pilot. I finished episode 3 last night. Moving on to 4 (and maybe 5) tonight. Definitely getting better as it goes on!

• Love
Reactions: Ar40 and CarlJ

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I welcome it as well. I'm actually quite surprised at what Apple is choosing to work with. Being totally honest, I didn't expect a lot of sexual stuff or language. (or as in the third episode of MQ...I definitely didn't expect the Nazi stuff). I also couldn't help but laugh when they called the 14 year old a piece of s***. 😂 I definitely thought Apple would go more "family friendly" and shy away from things like this. That being said...I'm actually a little happy that I was wrong! Apple definitely doesn't seem to be going the "censor" route. It's refreshing, for lack of a better word.

Agreed about the pilot. I finished episode 3 last night. Moving on to 4 (and maybe 5) tonight. Definitely getting better as it goes on!
5 loosely ties into the plot, but I felt like it was another idea for a show the producers had and decided to make it a complete arc story in 1 episode.

EDIT: ****SPOILERS IN COMMENTS BELOW****

Last edited:
Reactions: Ar40 and iOS Geek

iOS Geek

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2017
5 loosely ties into the plot, but I felt like it was another idea for a show the producers had and decided to make it a complete arc story in 1 episode.
Yeah, I've heard from some friends who have seen all the episodes that 5 is the most different and felt like a clear outlier. Curious about that one, for sure!

CarlJ

macrumors 68040
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Yeah, I've heard from some friends who have seen all the episodes that 5 is the most different and felt like a clear outlier. Curious about that one, for sure!
I thought it was a lovely episode, showing another angle on the industry.
One never knows when the characters will tie in later. And it looked like both that company and Mythic Quest were financed by the same group.

Last edited:

cmaier

macrumors P6
Jul 25, 2007
California
I thought it was a lovely episode, showing another angle on the industry. One never knows when the characters will tie in later. And it looked like both that company and Mythic Quest were financed by the same group.
And in the same building. And the old company is expressly stated to be a cautionary tale for the new.

Last edited:

CarlJ

macrumors 68040
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
oops sorry
No worries. Also, the (last) use of the knife made me cringe - a pocket knife like that is not meant for carving concrete! Go get a damn chisel, or even a screwdriver. You'll seriously **** up the knife's edge (in ways you can't fix by just resharpening), and maybe break off the point.

On a different topic, Bean was one of my favorite characters of the show, despite limited screen time. I'm having a really hard time picking favorites though, it's a bit early but a lot of them have the potential to be multilayered and interesting. But I'm very happy to see Danny Pudi from Community, and happy to see that he's again a little quirky.

Last edited:

cmaier

macrumors P6
Jul 25, 2007
California
No worries. Also, the (last) use of the knife made me cringe - a pocket knife like that is not meant for carving concrete! Go get a damn chisel, or even a screwdriver. You'll seriously **** up the knife's edge (in ways you can't fix by just resharpening), and maybe break off the point.
LOL. *THAT’S* what made you cringe?

cmaier

macrumors P6
Jul 25, 2007
California

On a different topic, Bean was one of my favorite characters of the show, despite limited screen time. I'm having a really hard time picking favorites though, it's a bit early but a lot of them have the potential to be multilayered and interesting. But I'm very happy to see Danny Pudi from Community, and happy to see that he's again a little quirky.
We’ve called my daughter “bean” since she was born, so that whole episode was special in our house.

• Love
Reactions: CarlJ

Ar40

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2017
Good idea. I edited my post, selected the text of the comment I was replying to, and clicked "..." and "Spoiler" to hide it. Perhaps @cmaier could do similar to post #135.
Edit: Thank you Cmaier for the spoiler tag. I appreciate the thoughtfulness to the people who haven’t finished the season yet. I’m watching one episode at a time and not rushing through, to savor it more.

Last edited:
Reactions: CarlJ

cmaier

macrumors P6
Jul 25, 2007
California
Yeah. I’m very upset about the casual spoilers by Cmaier. It’s important to be thoughtful to the people who haven’t finished the season yet. I’m watching one episode at a time and not rushing through, to savor it more.
Ar40, you are very upset at me a lot, judging by your responses and "dislike" tags, but you should be happy to know that I added the spoiler tag to the above-referenced post.

Abazigal

macrumors G5
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
No commercials in this one? I just hate the morning show, everywhere Apple presence, iMacs, mpro's earpod, iPhone, never saw so much I-stuff except in a I-store..
In other words, pretty much what tech device usage would be in shows once product placement money is removed from the equation.

Reactions: ErikGrim

bodonnell202

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Just finished binging this, and I think it was great! Apple TV+ has a winner. Silicon Valley level quality. I’m looking forward to season 2. If Apple keeps it up I think I’ll be paying once my free year is up :)