Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danieleilertsen

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2016
Oslo, Norway
Any solution to this?

Everytime I put the apple tv 4k to sleep the tv turns itself on again.

It turns itself off after doing this 4 times. But then it turns itself on again in the middle of the night.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Any solution to this?

Everytime I put the apple tv 4k to sleep the tv turns itself on again.

It turns itself off after doing this 4 times. But then it turns itself on again in the middle of the night.

Your 4K TV has a built in version of Apple TV. Use it.

That was my solution to this problem. You get used to it very quickly. You also realize that it was never about Apple. It was about Netflix and YouTube.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Your 4K TV has a built in version of Apple TV. Use it.

That was my solution to this problem. You get used to it very quickly. You also realize that it was never about Apple. It was about Netflix and YouTube.

What kind of response is this?

Care to elaborate? All smart tv's have built in apps. Usually they suck, are slow, clunky and nobody uses them. Hence why we use ATV.

Mr. Zarniwoop

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
This started happening with me lately in my bedroom.

I turned off AirPlay. Appears to have fixed it. Guessing neighbors were trying to AirPlay?

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
What kind of response is this?

Care to elaborate? All smart tv's have built in apps. Usually they suck, are slow, clunky and nobody uses them. Hence why we use ATV.

Listen, I've been an Apple TV fan since Day 1, had the very first Apple TV on the day it was released and all the versions thereafter. I get the love for the product. I do.

But years go by and the lead Apple had in UI speed and ease of use has evaporated as others have stepped up, especially those bundled in our TV's. Hate to say it, but the Android TV in my new Sony XBR is only a hair slower than Apple TV and the convenience of it being built-in can't be overstated, it's just far easier and seamless an experience.

And besides the UI, Apple offers nothing. In the end, it's about getting to Netflix, Prime, and YouTube quickly and the Android TV in my Sony does it faster. And the apps are the same across platforms, there is no difference in how they function right down to click patterns and voice commands. And while I loved the ATV touch remote when it first came out, I now prefer the typical d-pad style remote of the Sony, it's just more precise.

My Sony TV is brand new. Not sure about the age of your Smart TV but the gap has closed to the point where Apple TV is practically unnecessary. In fact I only use it now as a twice-a-week accessory to stream my iPhone home videos and connect to my HomePod. It's shame, really. The only way Apple can compete in this space now is to make their own 4K panels with Apple TV built in for a completely integrated experience. Otherwise I won't be buying another one.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
And besides the UI, Apple offers nothing. In the end, it's about getting to Netflix, Prime, and YouTube quickly and the Android TV in my Sony does it faster.
Dunno, what Sony do you own, but they are all dead slow compared to aTV 4K.
AndroidTV is the single thing I wish Sony did not install on my ZD9.
Let us return to this discussion in 2020. I bet our Sonys have not received software updates for at least a year by then.
And I would not buy a Z-class set every 2..3 years. I don't mind if I need to buy appleTV every year. The cost is negligible compared to the screen.

Reactions: farewelwilliams

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Dunno, what Sony do you own, but they are all dead slow compared to aTV 4K.
AndroidTV is the single thing I wish Sony did not install on my ZD9.
Let us return to this discussion in 2020. I bet our Sonys have not received software updates for at least a year by then.
And I would not buy a Z-class set every 2..3 years. I don't mind if I need to buy appleTV every year. The cost is negligible compared to the screen.

On my Sony, I hit the "Netflix" button on the remote and within 2 seconds Netflix is launched on its bundled Android TV.

With my Apple TV, I tap a button, the TV switches HDMI inputs, there is a 2 second black screen, then the Apple home screen appears, then there is a 3 second delay until the recommendations populate across the top, then I have to swipe to get to Netflix, then I select it, then it takes 2 seconds to launch. The volume is at a different level, so once a program starts to play I have to increase/decrease the Apple TV volume. That's a lot of time and effort that my Sony's smart features don't put me through.

I didn't invest in Apple TV to see the core of its functionality bundled for free in all my Sony TV's while Apple sits on its hands and innovates nothing. This mysterious turns-itself-on annoyance was just the final straw. My Apple TV's went from something I used 10x a day every day to something I only use on weekend mornings at brunch when I want to play Apple Music from my HomePod on all the speakers in my home or when a relative is over and I Airplay my son's latest soccer video. Other than that, my Apple TV is a dust-collecting relic.

Apple better make an actual TV or they are never going to succeed in this space. Android is faster to load and good enough the rest of the time. We want to get to Netflix and YouTube and we can do that just as efficiently with the free smart apps in our 4K TV's.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
The whole reason why it takes so long for the Bravia to switch to new input and adapt to signal format from HDMI is because it is slow!
It is not aTV fault.
PS mine does not turn on by itself. Perhaps because I’ve turned background app refresh off on tvOS.

Reactions: farewelwilliams

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
The whole reason why it takes so long for the Bravia to switch to new input and adapt to signal format from HDMI is because it is slow!
It is not aTV fault.
PS mine does not turn on by itself. Perhaps because I’ve turned background app refresh off on tvOS.

It doesn't really matter which product is at fault, does it? If ATV is slow to launch on a best-in-class Sony 4K TV then what's the point?

Apple TV is dead. I'm sad about that, believe me, but we have to admit its true. If it wasn't for weekend HomePod music and iPhone home movies I would get rid of them all.

ddkkpp

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2011
This has been happening to me tonight. Just restarted it and will see if that fixes it.

Also, none of you use the “Photos” app on your AppleTVs?

That’s like the best thing about it! Home movies and photos of vacations and the kids...! It’s great! No tv/set top box can offer that. :)

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
It wants you to watch it.

Lol... seriously though change your airplay settings (turn it off) to see if that changes anything. Another reason is the tv CEC, or another connected device (receiver etc) CEC is turning it on. I had this issue until I made my receiver’s CEC control passive.

biobug

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2018
I have an LG OLED 4K B7 series with an Apple TV, the Apple TV would randomly turn on the tv throughout the night. I disabled "Quickstart" on the LG TV to solve it. I guess the Apple TV was perceiving the quickstart standby mode as "Power On" incorrectly. Hope this helps!

shinseiromeo

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2017
I have an LG OLED 4K B7 series with an Apple TV, the Apple TV would randomly turn on the tv throughout the night. I disabled "Quickstart" on the LG TV to solve it. I guess the Apple TV was perceiving the quickstart standby mode as "Power On" incorrectly. Hope this helps!

I have the same TV. It’s maddening when I turn my Receiver on gaming, turn the TV on, and the Apple TV fired up and changes my receiver input to media. When I want to game I have to constantly press “gaming” mode to play a tug of war with what channel gets turned on because of the ATV rising from its slumber.

SoCerFrek

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2007

Where exactly in the menu is the "Quickstart" setting that you disabled? I would like to try that as well due to the same problem.

Spankey

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
NJ
Where exactly in the menu is the "Quickstart" setting that you disabled? I would like to try that as well due to the same problem.

I don't think this is related to LG only. I have LG and Sony TV's. It is happening on both.

shinseiromeo

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2017
Disabling Quickstart on my 2017 LG B7 did not fix this issue. Turning on the TV still awakens the Apple TV and forces my Denon receiver over to the media channel no matter what other setting it was on.

SoCerFrek

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2007
Disabling Quickstart on my 2017 LG B7 did not fix this issue. Turning on the TV still awakens the Apple TV and forces my Denon receiver over to the media channel no matter what other setting it was on.

I'm curious what you're doing to mitigate this? Are you resigned to just grabbing your Denon remote and changing back to the input you want to use? I've read where one user resorted to getting a smart plug and having it in the off position until such time that the Apple TV is wanting to be used. Seems like an extreme way to handle this but would certainly prevent from having to always grab the receiver remote to change back to the desired input.

shinseiromeo

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2017
I'm curious what you're doing to mitigate this? Are you resigned to just grabbing your Denon remote and changing back to the input you want to use? I've read where one user resorted to getting a smart plug and having it in the off position until such time that the Apple TV is wanting to be used. Seems like an extreme way to handle this but would certainly prevent from having to always grab the receiver remote to change back to the desired input.

I've been dealing with it for a year. Since my LG B7 has had Atmos audio out to my receiver for a while before the ATV 4K, the ATV has been mostly useless except for exclusive movies.

When I want to watch the TV's built in apps such as netflix, ATV4k turns itself on and the receiver battles itself between 'TV audio' and 'media' input. When I turn the PS4 Pro on and set the receiver to 'Game' input, then turn the TV power on, the ATV4K lights up and forces the receiver to 'media' input. At this point I push the 'Game' input button on the remote about 47x watching the screen go back and forth between the two modes.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
I've been dealing with it for a year. Since my LG B7 has had Atmos audio out to my receiver for a while before the ATV 4K, the ATV has been mostly useless except for exclusive movies.

When I want to watch the TV's built in apps such as netflix, ATV4k turns itself on and the receiver battles itself between 'TV audio' and 'media' input. When I turn the PS4 Pro on and set the receiver to 'Game' input, then turn the TV power on, the ATV4K lights up and forces the receiver to 'media' input. At this point I push the 'Game' input button on the remote about 47x watching the screen go back and forth between the two modes.

I’ll bet the issue is your Denon receiver’s CEC settings.

shinseiromeo

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2017
I’ll bet the issue is your Denon receiver’s CEC settings.

Here’s why I’m unsure... Even if I don’t touch my Denon, the ATV turns on automatically as soon as my TV turns on. The receiver is still off. When I turn the receiver on afterwards, that’s when the tug of war starts between inputs.

Spankey

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
NJ
Here’s why I’m unsure... Even if I don’t touch my Denon, the ATV turns on automatically as soon as my TV turns on. The receiver is still off. When I turn the receiver on afterwards, that’s when the tug of war starts between inputs.

I think you're having a different problem than we are discussing here. This is when the Apple TV turns itself on (along with TV using CEC) in the middle of the night or no interaction with any other linked component.

Yours is definitely something related to CEC with the TV and receiver causing the issue.

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
This started happening to me about a week ago or so. I disabled AirPlay and it didn't seem to help. I don't believe it has happened since the update earlier this week.

Are any of you using it as a home hub? My thought was maybe when it was triggered to be the hub (multiple Apple TVs/HomePods) it was kicking on and because of the CEC it was in turn also kicking on the tv?

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
This started happening to me about a week ago or so. I disabled AirPlay and it didn't seem to help. I don't believe it has happened since the update earlier this week.

Are any of you using it as a home hub? My thought was maybe when it was triggered to be the hub (multiple Apple TVs/HomePods) it was kicking on and because of the CEC it was in turn also kicking on the tv?

I use my Apple TV as a hub and wh knows, perhaps that's part of why the TV turns itself on in the middle of the night sometimes.

I can tell you that my latest fiasco is that powering on the Apple TV no longer powers-on my Sony 4K panel. The latest Apple update must've caused that glitch as well. So now I have two problems. Such a great piece of hardware.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013

Somethings up. CEC is suppose to turn on all connected devices. When you turn your tv on, the receiver should also turn on. Sounds like the tv and Apple TV are fighting for control. You might need to make the Denon be the primary device that sends CEC commands.

After I fiddled with my receiver’s CEC settings.... the ATV only turns on when I want it to. Same for my Cable box and tv. Before, everything was out of sync.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.