Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
On my Sony, I hit the "Netflix" button on the remote and within 2 seconds Netflix is launched on its bundled Android TV.

With my Apple TV, I tap a button, the TV switches HDMI inputs, there is a 2 second black screen, then the Apple home screen appears, then there is a 3 second delay until the recommendations populate across the top, then I have to swipe to get to Netflix, then I select it, then it takes 2 seconds to launch. The volume is at a different level, so once a program starts to play I have to increase/decrease the Apple TV volume. That's a lot of time and effort that my Sony's smart features don't put me through.

I didn't invest in Apple TV to see the core of its functionality bundled for free in all my Sony TV's while Apple sits on its hands and innovates nothing. This mysterious turns-itself-on annoyance was just the final straw. My Apple TV's went from something I used 10x a day every day to something I only use on weekend mornings at brunch when I want to play Apple Music from my HomePod on all the speakers in my home or when a relative is over and I Airplay my son's latest soccer video. Other than that, my Apple TV is a dust-collecting relic.

Apple better make an actual TV or they are never going to succeed in this space. Android is faster to load and good enough the rest of the time. We want to get to Netflix and YouTube and we can do that just as efficiently with the free smart apps in our 4K TV's.

when i wake my Apple TV, it resumes the Netflix movie I was previously watching. you’re exaggerating the Apple TV experience to make your Sony tv experience look good

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
when i wake my Apple TV, it resumes the Netflix movie I was previously watching. you’re exaggerating the Apple TV experience to make your Sony tv experience look good

That's always the easy answer, right? Must be a character flaw in the person delivering the bad news, can't be a design flaw from the product itself.

No. I'm merely stating fact. I want my Apple TV to be a superior product to the Android built-in to my Sony 4K. And, sadly, it's not.

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
That's always the easy answer, right? Must be a character flaw in the person delivering the bad news, can't be a design flaw from the product itself.

No. I'm merely stating fact. I want my Apple TV to be a superior product to the Android built-in to my Sony 4K. And, sadly, it's not.

No, you’re obviously using it wrong.
I just stated that I can resume a Netflix movie with far less effort and much quicker than you can ever do with your bloated Sony TV. Literally two clicks and I’m back from where I left off yesterday night.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
No, you’re obviously using it wrong.
I just stated that I can resume a Netflix movie with far less effort and much quicker than you can ever do with your bloated Sony TV. Literally two clicks and I’m back from where I left off yesterday night.

net.jpg

Using it wrong? LOL. With a NETFLIX button right on the remote itself, I can do what you describe in half the time, in one click. It's not bloated either; navigation, clicks, loading, the integrated Android TV is faster than Apple TV.

Quit while you're behind, kid.

Cancelled
Aug 12, 2017
Had the same issue for the last couple of days. I turned off AirPlay (which I very rarely use) and bam, problem gone. I'll look into the specifics of it, as I am pretty sure it's my Mac triggering it, but I can at least confirm it's AirPlay that's messing things up somehow.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
...but I can at least confirm it's AirPlay that's messing things up somehow.
I personally very much admire (and make use of) the shortcut to power on the whole AV rack just by kicking off AirPlay streaming from any device.
So I take it as expected feature.
Then again, I do not observe my devices randomly starting AirPlay, so you may want to take a cliser look at it.
I also have set my AirPlay to be allowed from same network only and disabled nearby AirPlay.

Cancelled
Aug 12, 2017
I personally very much admire (and make use of) the shortcut to power on the whole AV rack just by kicking off AirPlay streaming from any device.
So I take it as expected feature.
Then again, I do not observe my devices randomly starting AirPlay, so you may want to take a cliser look at it.
I also have set my AirPlay to be allowed from same network only and disabled nearby AirPlay.

It's a good feature, by all means, and I like it the odd time I use it. In fact that's what has triggered the problem. I watched a concert on Christmas day via AirPlay and since then it has been acting funny. All it does, it wakes up my Apple TV which then wakes up the TV and confuses my Harmony setup.

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
net.jpg

Using it wrong? LOL. With a NETFLIX button right on the remote itself, I can do what you describe in half the time, in one click. It's not bloated either; navigation, clicks, loading, the integrated Android TV is faster than Apple TV.

Quit while you're behind, kid.

one click does not resume your last nights stream (yet another lie). it launches netflix, which, assuming it launched back into your profile and the last video you watched, you still need to press play to resume the video. if it didnt, my guess is, it’ll ask you what profile you want to use, which video you want to see, and whether you want to resume or restart. multiple clicks

on the topic of remotes, if you’re a subscriber of DIRECTVNOW, Sling, Hulu, or some other streaming service, enjoy navigating to those services since you don’t have a dedicated button for those. lol. as steve once said “you have these buttons fixed in plastic...and you can’t go around adding a button to these things”. not to mention thinking about how to type in complex 32 character passwords for each service. absolute nightmare.

if i watched DIRECTVNOW last night, one click will turn on the tv and resume the stream (netflix takes two since the stream doesn’t auto play). if i need to login, it’ll suggest the password from icloud keychain. swipe keyboard is far faster than taping directional buttons if i need to type in things. if i want to switch from computer to tv, 1-2 clicks to Airplay.

judging by your tone, it sounds like you’re overcompensating for something. you seem to ignore the facts and exaggerate your experiences to tell yourself that your major TV purchase was the best decision ever instead of looking at this objectively. because of this, but i dont think i should waste anymore time reading your replies so i wont read any further on this thread.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
judging by your tone, it sounds like you’re overcompensating for something. you seem to ignore the facts and exaggerate your experiences to tell yourself that your major TV purchase was the best decision ever instead of looking at this objectively.

Major TV purchase? LOL. It was only $2,500 and I have a net worth of $14M.

I'm not compensating for anything; you're defending a disappointing product.

Cancelled
Aug 12, 2017
It's a good feature, by all means, and I like it the odd time I use it. In fact that's what has triggered the problem. I watched a concert on Christmas day via AirPlay and since then it has been acting funny. All it does, it wakes up my Apple TV which then wakes up the TV and confuses my Harmony setup.

So, done some more debugging. It's not the AirPlay feature messing things up, it's Apple TV liking to wake itself up even when connected to absolutely nothing but power. Airplay OFF, WiFi OFF, Network cable unplugged, HDMI unplugged. I think my Apple TV likes to turn itself on (not a euphemism). I circumvented the problem by disabling the CEC feature in Apple TV, so that it doesn't also turn my TV on when it wakes up. I did notice though that it wakes up after a sleep command, then goes back to sleep after 15 minutes, after which it doesn't turn on itself any more, unless I wake it up myself, which is good and works well with my Harmony setup.

Aliisloo

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2008
I have an LG OLED 4K B7 series with an Apple TV, the Apple TV would randomly turn on the tv throughout the night. I disabled "Quickstart" on the LG TV to solve it. I guess the Apple TV was perceiving the quickstart standby mode as "Power On" incorrectly. Hope this helps!

Same TV (LG OLED 2017), same problem. Solution worked for me as well. Thanks!

PS: On my TV, the setting is called "Quick Start+"

Luch1516

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2019

I was experiencing the same issue with my Apple TV turning itself on. I unplugged it and left it unplugged for 1 minute to do a full restart. This solved the problem for me. Hopefully Apple addresses this bug in an update. Good luck.

bigun66

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012

+1
This problem was SO annoying. My LG OLED kept waking up constantly, it was basically always on.
Turned off QuickStart+ - problem is gone.
Thanks!!!!

themfinger

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2009
I have the same issue before it didn't happen.
Have a Sonos Beam in HDMI-CEC.

If I do a long-press in the home button and put the ATV to sleep, it keeps turning on after some seconds all the time.

But if I change the source (i.e. for the STB in another HDMI port) it stays off. At least for some minutes... otherwise it wakes up in a few seconds, repeatedly.

indrek

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2017
So was there a solution? Using a ATV 4K with Yamaha AVR, Philips TV and I have same problem...All connected to the Yamaha, tried everything stated in this thread, but problem persists. TvOs 15.0

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
I had this problem about 2 weeks ago. I solved it by removing my TV as a HomeKit device.

In my case, it was caused by Homekit notifications waking up my TV. After I removed it as a HomeKit device the problem stopped.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.