Apple TV keeps turning on by itself

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by RyCan3, Jan 30, 2018.

1. farewelwilliams macrumors 68000

when i wake my Apple TV, it resumes the Netflix movie I was previously watching. you’re exaggerating the Apple TV experience to make your Sony tv experience look good

2. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

That's always the easy answer, right? Must be a character flaw in the person delivering the bad news, can't be a design flaw from the product itself.

No. I'm merely stating fact. I want my Apple TV to be a superior product to the Android built-in to my Sony 4K. And, sadly, it's not.

3. farewelwilliams macrumors 68000

No, you’re obviously using it wrong.
    I just stated that I can resume a Netflix movie with far less effort and much quicker than you can ever do with your bloated Sony TV. Literally two clicks and I’m back from where I left off yesterday night.

4. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

[​IMG]

Using it wrong? LOL. With a NETFLIX button right on the remote itself, I can do what you describe in half the time, in one click. It's not bloated either; navigation, clicks, loading, the integrated Android TV is faster than Apple TV.

Quit while you're behind, kid.

5. attilavago85 macrumors member

attilavago85

Had the same issue for the last couple of days. I turned off AirPlay (which I very rarely use) and bam, problem gone. I'll look into the specifics of it, as I am pretty sure it's my Mac triggering it, but I can at least confirm it's AirPlay that's messing things up somehow.

6. priitv8 macrumors 68040

I personally very much admire (and make use of) the shortcut to power on the whole AV rack just by kicking off AirPlay streaming from any device.
    So I take it as expected feature.
    Then again, I do not observe my devices randomly starting AirPlay, so you may want to take a cliser look at it.
    I also have set my AirPlay to be allowed from same network only and disabled nearby AirPlay.

7. attilavago85 macrumors member

attilavago85

It's a good feature, by all means, and I like it the odd time I use it. In fact that's what has triggered the problem. I watched a concert on Christmas day via AirPlay and since then it has been acting funny. All it does, it wakes up my Apple TV which then wakes up the TV and confuses my Harmony setup.

8. farewelwilliams macrumors 68000

one click does not resume your last nights stream (yet another lie). it launches netflix, which, assuming it launched back into your profile and the last video you watched, you still need to press play to resume the video. if it didnt, my guess is, it’ll ask you what profile you want to use, which video you want to see, and whether you want to resume or restart. multiple clicks

on the topic of remotes, if you’re a subscriber of DIRECTVNOW, Sling, Hulu, or some other streaming service, enjoy navigating to those services since you don’t have a dedicated button for those. lol. as steve once said “you have these buttons fixed in plastic...and you can’t go around adding a button to these things”. not to mention thinking about how to type in complex 32 character passwords for each service. absolute nightmare.

if i watched DIRECTVNOW last night, one click will turn on the tv and resume the stream (netflix takes two since the stream doesn’t auto play). if i need to login, it’ll suggest the password from icloud keychain. swipe keyboard is far faster than taping directional buttons if i need to type in things. if i want to switch from computer to tv, 1-2 clicks to Airplay.

judging by your tone, it sounds like you’re overcompensating for something. you seem to ignore the facts and exaggerate your experiences to tell yourself that your major TV purchase was the best decision ever instead of looking at this objectively. because of this, but i dont think i should waste anymore time reading your replies so i wont read any further on this thread.

9. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

Major TV purchase? LOL. It was only $2,500 and I have a net worth of $14M.

I'm not compensating for anything; you're defending a disappointing product.

10. attilavago85 macrumors member

attilavago85

So, done some more debugging. It's not the AirPlay feature messing things up, it's Apple TV liking to wake itself up even when connected to absolutely nothing but power. Airplay OFF, WiFi OFF, Network cable unplugged, HDMI unplugged. I think my Apple TV likes to turn itself on (not a euphemism). I circumvented the problem by disabling the CEC feature in Apple TV, so that it doesn't also turn my TV on when it wakes up. I did notice though that it wakes up after a sleep command, then goes back to sleep after 15 minutes, after which it doesn't turn on itself any more, unless I wake it up myself, which is good and works well with my Harmony setup.

11. Aliisloo macrumors newbie

Same TV (LG OLED 2017), same problem. Solution worked for me as well. Thanks!

PS: On my TV, the setting is called "Quick Start+"