Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced that its streaming TV service, Apple TV+, will launch on November 1 for the price of $4.99 per month. The service will be available in over 100 countries and regions.

apple-tv-plus-promo-image.jpg

Launch shows include The Morning Show, Dickinson, See, For All Mankind, and The Elephant Queen. You'll be able to watch each show on Apple TV, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, and more.
"With Apple TV+, we are presenting all-original stories from the best, brightest and most creative minds, and we know viewers will find their new favorite show or movie on our service," said Zack Van Amburg, Apple's head of Worldwide Video. "Each Apple TV+ original offers its own unique story, fresh perspective and powerful message -- all meant to entertain, connect and inspire cultural conversations."
There will be a seven day free trial, and from today if you purchase any iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, iPod touch, or Mac you'll get one year of Apple TV+ for free. Family sharing will allow up to six family members to share one subscription to the streaming TV service.

Other launch day series include Helpsters, Snoopy in Space, Ghostwriter, Servant, Truth Be Told, Little America, The Banker, and Hala. Subscribers will be able to watch these shows online and offline, ad-free, and on demand.

Starting today, users can add Apple TV+ series to their Up Next list on the Apple TV app, in order to be notified when the first episodes are available. Some shows will premiere with three episodes, and then one episode will roll out each week afterwards. Additionally, other shows will debut with full seasons at once.

Article Link: Apple TV+ Launching November 1 for $4.99 Per Month

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
When you're cash rich like Apple, you can afford to price your service lower than most of the competition. Although I'm still skeptical of the content, but the free year with purchasing an Apple product is a good way to suck customers in.

Reactions: Classie and TropN

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
Math. Math says you're better off just paying for the sub. $60 per year vs new ATV per year? You do the... ya' know. ;):D

you get more than just a tv subscription when you pay for the Apple TV
[doublepost=1568138702][/doublepost]
Lol Apple going the android route. Just be cheap, people will buy

people complain when it’s priced high and when it’s priced low. Probably complain if it’s free.

Last edited by a moderator:

asdavis10

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
Bermuda
The ATV isn't upgraded every year. So buying a new one every year just to get a free tv subscription (the scenario posed by the OP) doesn't make sense. I get the OP was sort of making a joke, but there's literally no logic to in that scenario.

I have 4 Apple TVs (non-4K). So if I upgrade them one per year AND can get a free subscription then it works out good for me.

Reactions: dwsolberg

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
ah,
Definitely cheaper. But now gives me incentive to upgrade to 4K boxes.
OK. then you get a new 4K box and bonus subscription as a perk.
Makes sense in that idea, like I was gonna upgrade and now it is easier.

i still need a 4K tv.

Ar40

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2017
I can’t wait for the Ghostwriter reboot! I had no idea this was in the works at all. So many memories from that show on PBS as a kid - it’s one of the reasons I became an avid reader. I hope the new series can be a success.

MonoPestoso

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2011
Has anyone seen how the free 1 year promotion works. I just bought a new Apple TV 4k a couple of weeks ago, hopefully I can get the promotion without having to return it and buy it again.

CrazyMacUser

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2012
No Apple Watch purchase? I can't believe it! The new apple Watch is about $450 for the basic model and then new iPad is about $340.00. I would assume buying a more expensive item would give you Apple TV+ free for a year too!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.