Apple TV Newbie Question

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by MacDryCleaner, May 2, 2009.

1. MacDryCleaner macrumors regular

Hi All -

My ATV seems to be consistently disconnecting from the wireless network in my home. About once per day. So my questions are these:

1. Is there a reason anyone knows why this happens.

2. Can my ATV 'remember' my network password so I don't always have to re-type it ... it's very long, case sensitive and a pain to re-enter everytime.

On a similar note ...

3. Can my ATV 'remember' my itunes password so I don't have to type that in each time either. Again, long password, case sensitive and all.

Thanks

2. SurfMacJpMtb macrumors member

SurfMacJpMtb

1) Give us some details on your router and configuration, proximity of microwave, wireless phones, and neighbor networks

3. danny_w macrumors 601

Do you put your Mac/iTunes server to sleep? The :apple:TV will always disconnect in that case b/c it loses the signal.

4. MacDryCleaner thread starter macrumors regular

I am using a standard cable modem plugged into an Apple Airport (mushroom shaped). Microwave oven is about ... 10 feet away. I have cordless phones in the house and my ATV does pick up some of my neighbors networks.

I don't *think* I have a Mac/iTunes server because of the Airport. For whatever it's worth I rarely do any streaming and maybe I sync once a week but that's it.

Thanks, look forward to your responses.

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Are your phones 2.4GHz? If so, they can knock you off the air[port]. 5.8GHz are the way to go with home wifi (unless you're on 5GHz 'n').

Your neighbors' networks (wifi) could be on the same channel as yours. Try changing your channel (move it several channels away and see if things improve).

6. MacDryCleaner thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, I'll try. Can anybody tell me about storing passwords?? Network and iTunes.

7. tom1971 macrumors 6502a

ATV stores your password. Unless you unplug your router, or otherwise reset your network password, you don't need to re-enter it.

Itunes ? - I assume that you refer to the itunes Store ? - Also that password is stored.

8. MacDryCleaner thread starter macrumors regular

Not my ATV ... I have to re-enter each time. Maybe there is some pref I'm over looking?

9. kolax macrumors G3

Try changing the wireless channel in your router settings. 9/10, the wireless channel is the culprit for connection issues with the Apple TV.

10. kadeschs macrumors regular

I had the same problem with Wireless as well. ATV was the only wireless device on the network having this problem. Switched over to a wired network to fix this issue.