Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple TV Remote App Inspired Steve Jobs to Make Original Siri Remote

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
People who wonder why people don't like it. For me it's because it's an $80 remote that's made of glass that's easily lost and, if you have kids like me, easily smashed. First one lasted a week. Second one in a silicone case, somehow still got broken, but thankfully is still working. I won't be buying a third.

smaffei

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2003
I think if Steve had a chance to interact with the actual remote, he would have changed his mind. They made a huge mistake by holding on to Steve's original thought, which could change from minute to minute. Not a great idea to base a product around a 4/5 years old Jobs opinion.

Steve has made mistakes before. The hockey puck iMac mouse being one of them.

Remy149

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2016
I think if Steve had a chance to interact with the actual remote, he would have changed his mind. They made a huge mistake by holding on to Steve's original thought, which could change from minute to minute. Not a great idea to base a product around a 4/5 years old Jobs opinion.
I personally love the remote and find it very easy to use

babaroga73

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2014
People saying that it's the worst remote ever obviously never used any 36 button TV remote, or any Android TV remote (with retardedly dedicated "Amazon" and "Netflix" buttons)

In combination with super smooth and logical TVOS inteface, this is the best remote I've ever used , BY FAR.

It could be better, though.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Europe
I must be in the extreme minority, but I love using the Siri remote (geez that even sounds sarcastic).

Seriously, its simple, I know where the buttons are without looking, quick volume access, and very smooth scrolling, srubbing, etc.

I like more about the remote than dislike. I like how it's thin and sleek, metal and glass, and has a good balanced weight to it. I like that's rechargeable. I like the feeling of the button clicks - firm yet quiet.

The touch surface is annoying too often though. Even if it works fine 95% of the time, that 5% of the time where I swipe too hard or accidentally hit it when I don't mean to makes the experience frustrating on balance.

I wish they would take the Salt remote, make it as thin and Siri remote by using a rechargeable battery instead of AAAs, and sell that as an option.

On reflection, Cannistraro says he believes the "ultimate vision" for Remote still hasn't been realized, and that smart home control remains a "disjointed experience" on any ecosystem. "HomeKit and Alexa are getting us closer," he says, "but there is still much to do to make the rooms we live in into elegant, ambient, intelligent experiences. Working on it."
I agree with the premise, but not that it is a problem. I think the disjoined experience is an asset, not a problem. It causes the various apps to innovate in UI design and content delivery, copy each other's innovations that work, and everyone improves.

Imagine if instead of allowing each messaging app on iOS to exist, Apple integrated all of them into the Messages app (kind of like Palm tried to do with Synergy a while ago). So you could login to WhatsApp, WeChat, Facebook Messenger, Google Hangouts, Telegram, Snapchat, and all of them in the Messages. None of them had a unique UI, they were all just plugins to Messages. It would suck. We would have had none of the innovations they brought. Instead, we have this bouquet of different approaches to messaging in the market, and the market is richer for it.

For the same reason, I don't want the TV experience to become all joined and averaged under one UI.

Reactions: MacCheetah3

profets

macrumors 601
Mar 18, 2009
You know where the buttons are, when you might hold it upside down? You have acquired some serious talents. Well done!

Thank you.

I’m not saying it’s perfect, but the majority of the time when I pick it up there’s enough light in the room fort to be visible. And the odd time that I’m picking it up in the dark, I use the indentation on the Siri button and elongated volume control to orientate the remote in my hand

Reactions: szw-mapple fan

pkoury

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2008
I actually prefer the Siri Remote for typing and swiping on timelines to fast forward videos, but it still needs some direction buttons to make "1-step" selections easier.
You can make 1-step selections by tapping on the edges instead of swiping.

Reactions: Daku93

Oblivious.Robot

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2014
It’s unfortunate that a lot of people find the remote troublesome, I do understand and respect their opinions.

However, I love mine and been using it trouble free for years now.

The only real annoyance would be that I hate Siri and ergo that useless voice button that simply takes me out of Infuse or YT whenever I accidentally press it and have to keep switching tabs. Oh and that there isn’t a mute button, hopefully they add it with the next gen, I’m waiting for an upgrade anyway.

Nippi2000

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2016
Far East
Thank you.

I’m not saying it’s perfect, but the majority of the time when I pick it up there’s enough light in the room fort to be visible. And the odd time that I’m picking it up in the dark, I use the indentation on the Siri button and elongated volume control to orientate the remote in my hand

I am glad, you are ok with it. For me, it has to be worst design Apple ever came up with.

Invisible Elf

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2011

Attachments

• tv.jpg
    tv.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 6

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I really like the Siri Remote...possibly my favorite remote (if you can have one) with the Xfinity Voice Remote being close to it but it has totally different functionality with numbers needed.

I use a Silicone Remote Cover so that helps bulk it a touch and makes it not-at-all slippery. I prefer the 4K (new) remote to 4th HD remote I had prior the slightly raised white/silver ring on the TV/Home Button make it very easy for me to orient. Though, I will say I prefer to sit remotes (and many things) in a specific order so I can easily use them in a future time...my spices are in order (not alphabetical), my clothing has an order, that said, when I put something down it should be in an easy-to-reach and understand placement so I can be more efficient.

I have kids, they tend to put the remotes any which way, or hide them so the other child cannot use it...but somehow the remote is still easy to grab and use right away...I STILL get USB plugs wrong, so there's that.

I really HATE the Roku remote. The Siri Remote is Miles ahead of my ROKU and Vizio remotes and farther ahead than my older Samsung remotes.

That sai, I understand the angst against this Siri Remote but when I use other remotes I tend to wish they were more like the Siri Remote. Sure, it could be not as symmetrical or slightly weighted to help, and I think my silicone cover is a blessing to grabthe remote without touching that TouchPad.

CarlJ

macrumors 603
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
It's too small, too slippery, and too sensitive. An accidental nudge with my foot will frick up what I'm watching ...
Ah, well there's your problem right there - you're supposed to use your hand to interact with it.

(I love the control layout, but I want them to put it in a more ergonomic chassis - the current design gives me visions of Ive saying "this is the thinnest, most elegant remote we've ever made" - well, neat, but I want usability, not elegance. Make it more grippy and easier to pick up off a flat surface. Oh, and build an AirTag and a little beeper into it.)

Last edited:

x-evil-x

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2008
It's too small, too slippery, and too sensitive. An accidental nudge with my foot will frick up what I'm watching and I'm pretty sure that on several occasions I didn't even touch it and the breeze from my hand or a fart set it off.

That's why I don't like it.

(I do like the idea of it, but the implementation leaves something to be desired. It's a perfect example of form over function.)
did you try adjusting the sensitivity of it? you can change it from the medium setting. Did you try turning off the animations for scrolling? So it won't make the tiles interactive it just turns it into a one button over type thing like every other remote.
Never had an issue with it being slippery or accidentally touching it. My harmony elite on the other hand I cant have anywhere near me or ill turn on different scenes with my leg. Small isn't bad.Big is bad.

Invisible Elf

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2011
Garbage.

Slow in selection of alphabetical characters (click click click / press-&-hold also was too slow on the ATV3 I had one).
No voice control - which is worlds beyond better to use for so many options.

Sorry that your fingers for touch surface are not working out well.
Lol those are all software issues, not the hardware

Reactions: coffeemadmanUK

and 1989 others

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2016
I am thankful that we have a HDMI port on the TV which allows the Apple TV to be navigated with e Samsung TV remote control. The siri remote infuriates me every single time I touch it.

Reactions: decypher44

Falcon_64

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2017
People saying that it's the worst remote ever obviously never used any 36 button TV remote, or any Android TV remote (with retardedly dedicated "Amazon" and "Netflix" buttons)

In combination with super smooth and logical TVOS inteface, this is the best remote I've ever used , BY FAR.

It could be better, though.
People claiming to know what remotes others have used simply because they dislike the Apple TV Remote are obviously wrong. Just sayin...

Reactions: decypher44

Dave-Z

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Cannistraro says he showed the app to then-Apple CEO Steve Jobs, who was so impressed with the way it let you control the Apple TV with swipes and gestures that he wanted the next hardware Apple TV remote to work similarly.

If I were responsible for the current Apple TV remote, I would in no way want to be associated it with.

Reactions: George Dawes
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.