Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple TV Remote App Inspired Steve Jobs to Make Original Siri Remote

JBGoode

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2018
did you try adjusting the sensitivity of it? you can change it from the medium setting. Did you try turning off the animations for scrolling? So it won't make the tiles interactive it just turns it into a one button over type thing like every other remote.
Never had an issue with it being slippery or accidentally touching it. My harmony elite on the other hand I cant have anywhere near me or ill turn on different scenes with my leg. Small isn't bad.Big is bad.
Yes it’s adjusted to the lowest sensitivity which does nothing for accidental nudges or fart wind. Both still frak up my show more often than I like.

I did solve the slippery problem with a silicone case which also somewhat solves the size problem but I don’t think I should have to put it in a case for it to be usable.

Again, I do like the concept (I like the phone app)but at the very least it needs to be a bit bigger and less sensitive.

neander

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2014
If they actually scrap it after all the "campaigning".. I'll have to buy a couple to have in backup and for future devices.

CarlJ

macrumors 603
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
I really like the Siri Remote...possibly my favorite remote (if you can have one) with the Xfinity Voice Remote being close to it but it has totally different functionality with numbers needed.

I use a Silicone Remote Cover so that helps bulk it a touch and makes it not-at-all slippery.
This. I love the Siri Remote, and its what I use 99% of the time, but I'd like it a lot less if it didn't have a silicone case and a tail. I have a Griffin SurvivorPlay case for it that is sadly long since discontinued. It's miles better than the no-name $10 silicone cases on Amazon. And I have Apple's Remote Loop (wrist strap) on it, which I never use as a wrist strap, to give it a tail. It makes it easier to orient in the hand without looking, and also helps to find it when it tries to hide between couch cushions.

CarlJ

macrumors 603
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
People saying that it's the worst remote ever obviously never used any 36 button TV remote, or any Android TV remote (with retardedly dedicated "Amazon" and "Netflix" buttons)
My TV remote has dedicated buttons Vudu, Netflix, Amazon, Xumo (which I've never even heard of), Crackle, and iHeartRadio. You know what it doesn't have dedicated buttons for? Freaking HDMI 1 to 4. I have to hit "Input" and then scroll through a list of choices to select one of the inputs the TV has. It's freaking annoying. Fortunately, I rarely resort to the TV's remote, as I can do everything I need with the Siri Remote.

ogrady

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2002

Last week Apple removed the Apple TV Remote app from the App Store, given that the app's functionality has been baked into the Control Center on iPhone and iPad since iOS 11. Following the Remote app's discontinuation, a former Apple engineer took to Twitter to share some interesting details about the app's original development.

Alan Cannistraro writes that he began writing the app in 2006 before he even saw the first iPhone user interface, and instead used his own UI elements to begin with. The former designer explains that the Remote app was Apple's first production app that the App Store team used to "test their upload flow" to the Store, and while it only shipped with iTunes and Apple TV controls, early prototypes were a lot more functional.
Another prototype Cannistraro designed in 2009 turned the iPhone's touchscreen surface into a computer mouse, and also offered a way for Mac users to "interact with photos, applications (the original TouchBar) and screensavers."

Cannistraro says he showed the app to then-Apple CEO Steve Jobs, who was so impressed with the way it let you control the Apple TV with swipes and gestures that he wanted the next hardware Apple TV remote to work similarly.
On reflection, Cannistraro says he believes the "ultimate vision" for Remote still hasn't been realized, and that smart home control remains a "disjointed experience" on any ecosystem. "HomeKit and Alexa are getting us closer," he says, "but there is still much to do to make the rooms we live in into elegant, ambient, intelligent experiences. Working on it."
You can check out Cannistraro's TV Remote app comments in full using this Thread reader link.

Article Link: Apple TV Remote App Inspired Steve Jobs to Make Original Siri Remote
The Apple TV remote (sorry, "Siri remote") is objectively rubbish, as anyone who's ever touched it (esp. while a video is playing) will attest to. It's right up there with the "hockey puck mouse" and the unchargeable-while-using "turtle mouse." Siri remote's lack of a mute key is telling and the brittle glass on mine shattered after sustaining a massive 18" fall onto a wood floor. Form over function.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
This. I love the Siri Remote, and its what I use 99% of the time, but I'd like it a lot less if it didn't have a silicone case and a tail. I have a Griffin SurvivorPlay case for it that is sadly long since discontinued. It's miles better than the no-name $10 silicone cases on Amazon. And I have Apple's Remote Loop (wrist strap) on it, which I never use as a wrist strap, to give it a tail. It makes it easier to orient in the hand without looking, and also helps to find it when it tries to hide between couch cushions.
this is my case...in red. works well. cheap.

DeepIn2U

macrumors 604
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Lol those are all software issues, not the hardware

If that's the case then why does the click-wheel remote STILL act that way on the ATV4/4K models, yet the software remote does not exhibit this on the ATV3?

Hmmm ... there goes the software cop-out. If it was then the software app most likely wouldn't exhibit the issue on ATV3, and most certainly the click-wheel wouldn't exhibit the same issue on an updated ATV4/4K with newer software.

If by software you mean imbedded into the click-wheel remote - then that's not upgradeable and thus garbage hardware - you're still stuck.

robertosh

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2011
France
You are watching really confortable a show and suddenly the movie starts to go forward or backwards rapidly... Does this ring a bell for any of you?

I don’t like Siri remote, at least they should simple disable the touch screen while you are not holding it....

Reactions: coffeemadmanUK

DeepIn2U

macrumors 604
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
You are watching really confortable a show and suddenly the movie starts to go forward or backwards rapidly... Does this ring a bell for any of you?

I don’t like Siri remote, at least they should simple disable the touch screen while you are not holding it....

Never happened. Nobody else in the house is controlling my ATV, no guests are granted accessed, it's not open to anyone else that can broadcast to it over AirPlay without a code. And finally my remote never sits in the couch with me after use, never used with oily hands and always after use placed onto the coffee/side table.

Now ... there is a strangeness to the touch sensor ... if you hover your finger about 4mm above it not touching it, then move upon the x-axis slowly, somehow and rarely it'll track the movement. I also noticed this on my iPhone 8 too, against very rarely.

Kimberly Paradee

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2020
It's too small, too slippery, and too sensitive. An accidental nudge with my foot will frick up what I'm watching and I'm pretty sure that on several occasions I didn't even touch it and the breeze from my hand or a fart set it off.

That's why I don't like it.

(I do like the idea of it, but the implementation leaves something to be desired. It's a perfect example of form over function.)
I found a perfect case for mine on Amazon and before that I had a pop socket on it. But the case is great! It’s silicone so It won’t slide around and hides the bottom so you won’t miss handle the wrong side.

iisdan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2010
This is the best remote I have ever used, the people here complaining must have a faulty remote or are learning impaired. There are no issues with this remote at all

• Disagree
Reactions: miamialley

DeepIn2U

macrumors 604
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Lol those are all software issues, not the hardware

Embedded software usually is NOT changed - especially for remotes. Thus why I explained my testing switching to newer hardware that has MUCH newer and continually evolved software. Also explaining software used on a different device onto all 3 base hardware - still the same issue from your suggested remote. Seems like hardware issue (embedded software not getting update and married to a chip) is still hardware.

This isn't a BIOS firmware that can be updated nor will be by Apple.
This isn't an OS for system causing what you dislike.
This isn't a full blown solution developed solely in software,

It's your hardware being the culprit and cannot have it's embedded software controls updated - that's now a hardware issue.

So where is your troubleshooting or deduction in full or just complaining?

Nippi2000

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2016
Far East
You know where the buttons are, when you might hold it upside down? You have acquired some serious talents. Well done!
You disagreed with what I posted but you had to wrap your Remote in a silicone casing to make it less slippery and shoehorn a tail to it which helps you with your orientation. Hilarious 😆

amartinez1660

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2014
I must be in the extreme minority, but I love using the Siri remote (geez that even sounds sarcastic).

Seriously, its simple, I know where the buttons are without looking, quick volume access, and very smooth scrolling, srubbing, etc.
hahah, it does sound sarcastic

I’m on the “it’s ok” team. Especially when going back to any other tv or universal remote plagued with dozens and dozens of buttons with rings of arrows around rings of arrows... it’s crazy, everytime I get tired of the Siri Remote I only have to glance at any of the others.

That being said, the controlling, surface, buttons feelings, etc are indeed smooth but far from precise, thats my main issue... it is damn imprecise, easy to scroll either zero icons or 3 all at once.

Reactions: profets

profets

macrumors 601
Mar 18, 2009
No you don't. Rotate the remote 180º, and everything is the same.

But its not the same. The ring around the menu button, the indentation on the Siri button, and the connected volume buttons give away the orientation.

Not to mention the tacky finish on the glass on the lower end of the remote compared to the smoother matte finish on the trackpad at the top.

So yes. Yes I do, and no, not everything is the same.

CarlJ

macrumors 603
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
this is my case...in red. works well. cheap.
I have that case. In red as well. It’s not as nice as the Griffin. The Griffin has a rounded bottom, which not only fits the hand better, but holds it up off the table, and puts the edges even higher, making it much easier to pick up. It’s also molded out of solid silicone - a lot of the other cases are sort of hollow, counting on air and springiness, which make them more squishy, while the Griffin is more solid.

henrus

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2003
One of the worst remote app concepts ever. After years of being out there, how can you not fix basic usability problems like the fact that we are constantly hitting the home button that is too close to the Menu button? When the lack of physical or haptic feedback makes using the remote without looking at it (which is an obvious use case) an exercise is frustration. Why not make the replay and skip buttons big and easy to hit? Why not get rid of the uselessly large trackpad that is never accurate or too sensitive at the same time? How can Apple allow this app, one of the most used I have, languish in UX hell all this time?

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
Well I'm thankful the app still exists. I use the Apple phone app as the remote. I just recently noticed my LG TV remote will work with it also.
I am just not a fan of the dinky, very sensitive - always slipping out of my klutzy fat hands remote.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.