MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced it has renewed "The Mosquito Coast" for a second season, just two days prior to the first season's conclusion.

the-mosquito-coast-apple-tv-plus.jpg

Starring Justin Theroux, Melissa George, Logan Polish, and Gabriel Bateman, the acclaimed Apple TV+ drama series follows the dangerous journey of a radical idealist and brilliant inventor, Allie Fox (played by Theroux), who uproots his family for Mexico when they suddenly find themselves on the run from the U.S. government.

The series comes from award-winning novelist Neil Cross, and is based on the best-selling book of the same name by Paul Theroux.

"'The Mosquito Coast' has captured the imagination of viewers all over the world, not only because of its adrenaline-fueled action and adventure, but also for the engaging family story and captivating performances at its heart," said Matt Cherniss, Apple's head of programming. "We can't wait to find out what comes next for the Fox family, and for audiences to continue to experience the thrill ride."

The renewal comes ahead of the first season finale, which debuts this Friday.

Article Link: Apple TV+ Renews Drama Series 'The Mosquito Coast' for Second Season

Last edited:

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
It is a good thing to hear about renewals for TV series...especially doing so before or soon after the first season...this helps entice customers to pay the $5/mo for TV+ to keep watching these shows.

GeoStructural

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
Honestly hated the show. Couldn’t make it past episode 2 with many saying it got even worse after that.

I haven’t watch it, the reviews prevented me from it… would you tell me why they mention México in it? The Mosquito Coast had little to do with it, and as far as I know in the original story they arrived by boat.

Martinpa

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2014
Did they actually cancel anything after one season yet? That’s what Netflix used to be!
I think the only series out of the first batch that hasn’t been renewed is Little Voice, but it hasn’t been cancelled either, as far as I know.

Sam Squanch

macrumors regular
May 10, 2018
It's on my list but waiting for all episodes to drop before I dive in. I hope this weekly release schedule isn't a permanent thing for all their shows.

MacOH21

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2018
The issue I have is the plot is derivative of other dramas (Breaking Bad's cartel angle, family on the run from countless shows) and the characters are cliche's. (Bad dad, idiot brother, independent teenage girl...)

topdrawer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2012
I had the opposite experience. The first couple of episodes were really boring and it has gotten better after getting to mexico.

dmylrea

macrumors 68040
Sep 27, 2005
I think that's a bit of a stretch, tbh. The first couple of episodes were decent, the last couple have been a complete car crash. This was always a book I've wanted to read (I do like Paul Theroux), but this has totally put me off it.
I haven't read the book, but this show is nothing like the Harrison Ford movie of the 80's, which I understood is more like the book.

I'm not even sure why this is called "The Mosquito Coast"...they could have named it something completely different as it IS completely different!

And, yes, as others have stated, it's slow moving as hell.

SixColors2000

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2021
Great show. I was pleasantly surprised!
I agree. The show is fantastic!

It's been really solid. Justin Theroux is really magnetic in it, no surprise if you ever watched The Leftovers.
I agree! Justin Theroux is fantastic!

We have a different definition of acclaimed I guess. The reviews have been pretty neutral.
The show is fantastic! The reviews are dead wrong.

I had the opposite experience. The first couple of episodes were really boring and it has gotten better after getting to mexico.
I agree. The show gets better and better with each episode.

mcfrazieriv

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2012
I wanted to like this show. You get wrapped up in the great pace and cinematography. Then all of a sudden, BAM, giant monologue that feels a bit too opinionated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.