Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
If I did you and others wouldn't agree, so what's the point?
What was the point of the Seinfeld analogy without backing it up? If you had a valid reason, perhaps someone would have agreed.

Last edited:

FightTheFuture

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
I really enjoy watching how the patient / psychotherapist relationship is conveyed. If anyone’s interested in a similar theme, check out In Treatment on HBO. The original series ran back in 2008. It’s been rebooted a few weeks ago.

Edit: In Treatment is not a comedy

Reactions: matrix07

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
So it’s funny how all apple originals have this very like, indie cinematic look and feel, dark high contrasty. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I always subconsciously get this feeling that I’m about to watch a serious film disguised as a comedy.
I think you kind of nailed from the vibe I'm getting from the trailer. This does feel a bit more like a Dramedy and so far looks like a good one. I'm in. I think the cinematography is going for that 70's look which at the time was very high contrast technicolour looking. Kinda liking that as well.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
It was only that Peanuts show on Apple TV, so they must have screwed up the sound on that episode. I’ll go back to see if it works now. All other shows work correctly.

Apple TV original programming isn’t created to appeal to people like me in their 60s. I mostly watch documentaries, sitcoms, automotive shows, building shows, crime dramas etc. That kind of programming probably doesn’t appeal to the younger generations that much. I really don’t care for relationship drama about people half my age. Already been there, done that decades ago! :) I also don’t care for movies or shows that depend mostly on CGI rather than great acting and cinematography.

There is always going to be a generation gap and differences in entertainment choices. My parents preferred shows we thought were awful, and vice versa. That is perfectly understandable of course. Apple is creating shows mostly for people in their 20s, 30s, and maybe 40s. So I don’t expect to see much in that selection that appeals to me. But it doesn’t matter because I can find plenty of shows on Netflix, Britbox, Hulu, Philo, etc. and still watch them on my ATV 4K. I also have Amazon’s Prime Video, and oddly enough I find a lot more of their original programming worth watching. I think Amazon probably has a more diversified concept of audience though. Apple is more limited.
Have you checked out Long Way Down, Long Way Round and Long Way Up on Apple TV+? It's actually a trilogy documentary series about two friends that drive their motorcycles all over the planet. Great show and my Dad loved it too so it might be right up your alley before you cancel your subscription.

I've experienced some strange audio anomalies with some AppleTV content in the past but if I force quit the app (doubletap TV button on remote and swipe up), that always solved the problem or me.

Reactions: matrix07

One2Grift

Cancelled
Jun 1, 2021
Never expected AppleTV to have such good content. For All Mankind is one of the best TV shows imo. This one also looks promising. Great job!

What is best is subjective to each viewer. The premise of For All Mankind caught my eye, the optics were first rate, and all of ATV+ is a good quality A/V experience. But it just didn’t work, for me. Too many of the shows just didn’t work (to be fair Ted Lasso seems to be fairly well liked but that one didn’t work for me either. So maybe I’m an outlier).

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Apple is using the oldest trick in the book and that is to hire known names to turn attention. This one though is interesting since Will Ferrell is not acting as Well Ferrell, so its refreshing.

Apple TV+ feel like the imported competitor to Coca Cola and Pepsi , its not the one people want but its still an option.

PC_tech

Suspended
Jan 17, 2019
I'm guessing what most people will find more comical is that you didn't catch the humor in the post you're commenting on and that it appears you took it seriously instead of noting that he/she came up with a hilarious scenario in response to the OP. It's amazing how jokes fly right over some people's heads.
That poster takes literally everything seriously...

Sam Squanch

macrumors regular
May 10, 2018
I love Will Ferrel but man I am not a fan of his body of work. The only movie I liked of his was Old School and that was like a tepid like, never liked The Anchorman and yeah, yeah I know that is a beloved series. Beyond the occasional skit the only thing I've ever really liked was his short skits on the Laugh or Die website involving that baby. I truly hope he scales his "humour" back and meshes more in line with Rudd.

I'll keep an open mind as AppleTV+ has a solid track record so far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.