Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple TV's shipping estimate slipped to 1-2 weeks on the Apple Online Store in the United States today, less than six weeks before Apple is rumored to announce a new version of the set-top box at WWDC 2015 on June 8-12. The shipping times initially slipped to 1-2 weeks on the Apple Online Store on late Wednesday before the set-top box returned to in stock on Thursday, only to slip to 1-2 weeks again hours later.

apple_tv_black.jpg

A number of Apple products have been given longer shipping estimates in the past few weeks, possibly because of Apple Watch congestion within the company's supply chain and delivery channels, so this change could be nothing more than a regular fluctuation. But with WWDC set to take place in early June, and a new Apple TV set-top box expected to be announced, the timing of the shipping time slipping is worth noting.

The next-generation Apple TV is rumored to feature Apple's latest A8 system-on-a-chip and a "dramatic increase" in internal storage, well beyond the 8GB included in the current third-generation set-top box. BuzzFeed reported in March that the new Apple TV will also gain an App Store and Siri for controlling a wide selection of HomeKit-enabled home automation devices through the set-top box.

Apple TV was discounted to $69 in the U.S. in March.

Article Link: Apple TV Shipping Estimate Slips to 1-2 Weeks Ahead of WWDC

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
hopefully new features will also be availible on the apple tv 3rd gen.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
Finally something i will buy. All my other products are not old enough yet

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
Yeah, of all the things I could buy from Apple this year, this one seems to be the only no-brainer. Love my Apple TV.

It's funny, when I bought the first one, my wife figured I must be nuts... there was no reason for it, with the video store right up the road. Fast forward to today and the video store is long gone, and we use the Apple TV nearly as much as the Macs. Any improvements are most welcome, and I'll shell out for them. And my wife won't give me any geek-grief, either. :D

larryinfl

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2007
Sweet. Hoping for big changes. Will update the two that I have. Hopefully my 4-24/5-8 watch is in by then too. :p

Tekjams

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2014
Hopefully this turns out to be true. I love my Apple TV but it is in serious need of an overhaul. Siri integration, an App Store, would all be great features. Maybe even something like having the Apple TV display a popup when I'm receiving a call on my iPhone would be pretty sweet. Or some other form of iPhone integration.

Z400Racer37

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2011
If this thing can replace my cable box and my Xbox 360, I will be like.... So thrilled lol...... free online gaming...... gahh so thrilled.. #######

Alex Moran

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2015
I'd love to see the ability to plug in a USB device to play media through an apple based interface. Current "smart" TVs have horrible experiences with the way it handles media.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
The next-generation Apple TV is rumored to feature Apple's latest A8 system-on-a-chip and a "dramatic increase" in internal storage, well beyond the 8GB included in the current third-generation set-top box.

Larger storage for App Store apps and offline playback of "now playing" video.

A8 for 4K output (does not need to launch with 4K video contents on day 1, but at least for UI, photos, and apps).

My only other hardware wish is better Bluetooth remote (although Apple Watch is working better than I expected to serve this need).

critter13

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2010
ota tuner

I don't think it will happen but a built in OTA tuner would be awesome, no need to switch inputs. Paying for local channels is dumb but probably worth it to keep a unified experience. Put the tuner in the ATV and voila. Mohu Channels has the right idea but poor execution.

seong

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
It would leave me sad if they don't update the MBPr 15" in June :/

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
The very thought of calling Comcast to remove video service sets my heart aflutter!

I have done that already, except I still have to pay them for crappy internet service. I wish my building would allow for Verizon FiOS. I wish that Apple or just about anyone else give me an internet access point other than Comcrap. Alas....

In any case, I cut the video cord already and as a result I am actually nicer to people. :D

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I don't think it will happen but a built in OTA tuner would be awesome, no need to switch inputs. Paying for local channels is dumb but probably worth it to keep a unified experience. Put the tuner in the ATV and voila. Mohu Channels has the right idea but poor execution.

Or, leave the OTA tuner out and let in 3rd party apps that interface with existing LAN-based tuners. Such as TabloTV or Simple.tv

Cloudsurfer

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2007
Netherlands
I hope the tv streaming services come to the current TV as well. I don't want an app store, I just want to get rid of our local fiber providers and their overpriced tv subscriptions.

Joe Rossignol

Senior Reporter
Staff member
May 12, 2012
Canada
Wait...seriously? I fear for the future of rumours and credibility.

I understand your comment, but BuzzFeed News is pretty separate from their regular lifestyle section where you see articles like 20 Things Every '90s Kid Will Remember. This particular Apple TV story comes from John Paczkowski, who worked at WSJ's All Things Digital and Re/code before being recruited by BuzzFeed. It seems like the website is actually trying to grow out its actual news side with reputable writers.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
WWDC is in way more than 2 weeks. Wouldn't Apple push it back to 4-6 weeks if they anticipate filling orders with the new models?

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
When is CW going to be on Apple TV they said 2 years ago it will soon come to Apple TV I really want to watch Supernatural I missed a episode, CW on iPhone sucks no Airplay and I got no CW On Demand on cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.