Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
These facts just show the following:

* ATV is only good for watching Netflix
* iPad is only good for Web browsing (and definitely not good for watching movies)

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis

* iPad is only good for Web browsing (and definitely not good for watching movies)
I have considered an iPad but it ends up being a social isolation device. It is awkward. Otherwise it seems that everything supports Netflix an AppleTV would be redundant.

How about them streaming iTunes?

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Not true. Netflix has been streaming a limited number of shows and movies in 1080P and 5.1 to the PS3 since October. (I know Lost is 1080P. Not sure what else off the top of my head.) See this Engadget story.

The PS3 interface is adequate, but i'll be going with an Apple TV when it gets 1080P support in the next revision. The thing that bothers me more than anything else about watching on the PS3 is the loud fan. It's nowhere near as loud as an Xbox 360, but it's loud enough to annoy.

That Engadget article was wrong. It was based off of a very clever marketing fluff piece from Sony's PS3 Blog that the PS3 would be streaming 1080p. In fact, no Netflix streams are 1080p, PS3 included. The highest they go is 720p. What the PS3 does is take that 720p content and upscale it to 1080p which means nothing at all really because your 1080p HDTV will already upscale the 720p content.

Netflix themselves have never claimed they send ANY 1080p Netflix streams out to ANY device. If you read Netflix's own press release, the only thing Netflix claimed is 5.1 audio for the PS3. They didn't mention a single thing about 1080i, 1080p, or bitrate increases and they have never mentioned adding it in any other communication either. In fact, the most recent statement they put out about 1080p was that it would NOT be coming in 2010 which is when Sony put out their clever little marketing piece.

A lot of people got fooled on that one. But that's just more evidence that 1080p streaming isn't really necessary at this point in time because people think they're looking at 1080p when it's really 720p. Most people can't tell the difference especially when it comes to streaming over the internet. Heck, there are still people watching SD on their HDTVs thinking they are watching HD. :eek:

Last edited:

Friscohoya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Oaktown
If you dont live in a large apartment complex/condos the internet speeds make it so that it takes a min of 6 hours to watch anything from itunes. Whereas the netflix stuff starts streaming in just a few seconds. I dont care about image quality if it means that in order to incrementaly improve it I have to plan what I am going to watch a day in advance for an "instantaneous" product.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
I just ordered my ATV from Amazon yesterday. Main reason is to stream music from my Mac to my Onkyo 808 receiver--but of course I got the ATV instead of the AE because of the video capabilities so I'm looking forward to using them--and I am hopeful the Netflix interface will be better than the one on my Samsung 6500 Blu Ray. :)

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind

Do you have either?

ATV is also good for streaming from your computer. I have a ton of movies on my Mac, and I can watch them on a TV in my game room where there is no DVD player set up. Bottom line is that everyone will have a different use for it, but there is definitely more to it than only watching Netflix.

As far as the iPad, I find that I watch movies on it when I am traveling...it's awesome for airplanes. And much easier to carry around than my Mac. I have about 10 GB of tv/movies on it, and I have watched them...I don't sit around my house watching them, but I'll definitely use it for watching stuff when I'm out and about.

And for those with small children...I've been saved more than once by a Disney movie at a restaurant.

gdeusthewhizkid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2008
NY|NJ
The Apple TV is by far the best Netflix experience you can get right now. My previous favorite Netflix device was the PS3. But the ATV2 Netflix stream looks better than the one on the PS3, the UI is far better, there are more options like viewing what other movies the actors and directors are in, the playback controls are better, and everything loads much faster.

Best Netflix experience hands down. I only use the PS3 for the occasional PS3 game and Blu Ray disc now which it is very good at and designed for. Absolutely love my ATV2!

co-sign.

every now and then i might put my ps3 on and watch netflix but the apple tv looks the best even my avi conversions to apple tv from my mac mini look beautiful on my hdtv. If you like netflix and media from your itunes apple tv is a no brainer....

walterwhite

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2011
South Central PA
I love showing NetFilx to friends who dont have it... they are amazed how easy it is to just watch what you want. The TV v2 is also amazing for its size and ability

gceo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2007
San Diego, CA
I want to know this: When I signed up for Netflix, it asked me which system I was using. From a long list of everything from a Wii, to an Xbox, to some I've never even heard of, there is NO Apple TV on their list.

I know it's just a survey type question, but there seems to be these dark forces keeping ATV down.

I've used one for about 3 years now, and love it. Friends can't believe how well it works, and how convenient it is.

Why doesn't Apple promote this? Why doesn't Netflix promote this?

noahc

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2005
Did anybody else get a survey from Apple in the past day about :apple:TV? It asked about how often I used Netflix, rented movies, bought movies, streamed movies etc. They're clearly trying to understand better how we're all using these really cool little boxes. For the record, I've had absolutely zero problems accessing Netflix.. no freezing, no studdering, nothing but a nice clear picture (and I'm on Comcast).

I recently got a Networked BluRay player (LG) and it also streams Netflix. It outputs to my TV in 1080p as opposed to the :apple:TV at 720p so even though the Netflix content is all coming through at 720p, there is a noticeable improvement in the image quality of the stream when I watch it through my BluRay player.

Generally I'm extremely happy with the ATV and will likely drop my Netflix down to the streaming only package and depend on Redbox for my BRD rentals.

mrinternet

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2008
Netflix outside the USA working good .. yeah baby

Now that I have :D 'tweaked' my network (takes 5 minutes to set-up with a USA VPN) and living outside the USA, I can get netflix (shhh don't tell anyone), I am surprised more folks aren't doing it or netflix isn't doing more global deals/access crazy

ATV is the best. Unfortunately ATV also doesn't allow TV rentals here, so I have to download to my PC (or mac) 1st via itunes then the ATV sees my shows on my pc/mac/NAS-itunes server .. SWEET ... global connectivity kicking and screaming all the way..

However, between cable tv, blockbuster online, netflix, etc. all, I find netflix more limited in their selection and often last to deliver on 1st run movies.

I think the next battle all things considered once you past the UI of your favorite, will be the selection/library/speed to market

linux2mac

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
"City of Lakes", MN
I should note that I only have ever seen issues with streaming when viewing on the ATV. When I use my PS3, I haven't seen a problem.

Try swapping your ethernet cables to isolate the problem (I believe you indicated you were not wireless). Unplug the ethernet from the back of your PS3 and plug it into the ATV and vice versa. See if you have the same issue.

I currently have PS3 and ATV running wireless with Airport Extreme. I am having zero issues running Netflix on either device. I prefer the ATV Netflix interface over my PS3.

djfrugal1

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2008
Apple TV

Apple TV needs to:

1. Mark which shows you have watched in a series so you can start at the next show instead of trying to figure out where you left off or what episodes you have already watched.

2. Get their streaming running better. It just doesn't work that great. My XBox 360 worked much better and had the features in #1

I have a sony BluRay with Netflix that runs much better than the Apple TV, and the XBox 360 that is better than both of them for Netflix.

I ended up returning my Apple TV until they work out the bugs and make it more robust.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Apple TV needs to:

1. Mark which shows you have watched in a series so you can start at the next show instead of trying to figure out where you left off or what episodes you have already watched.
Doesn't Netflix do that itself? I really only use it from computers, occasionally the iPod. But it maintains that data regardless of what device I last used. Even (usually) keeps track of where I was in each show if I stopped in the middle.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Not true. Netflix has been streaming a limited number of shows and movies in 1080P and 5.1 to the PS3 since October. (I know Lost is 1080P. Not sure what else off the top of my head.) See this Engadget story.

The PS3 interface is adequate, but i'll be going with an Apple TV when it gets 1080P support in the next revision. The thing that bothers me more than anything else about watching on the PS3 is the loud fan. It's nowhere near as loud as an Xbox 360, but it's loud enough to annoy.

the heat and noise were issues on the original PS3's. the new slims are quiet

i have PS3 and x-box 360 and the PS3 always looks better watching netflix

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.