Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

royinla14

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
I've been using Apple TV 3 in my main living room with an old 5.1 Yamaha receiver, connected via optical cable and it has been working great. Now considering getting the new Apple TV (or even the 4) which only has HDMI. I saw some decent deals at bestbuy for receivers and don't need anything crazy, but was wondering if anyone has any recommendation based on your setting. Do you just use a sound bar ? Or a full blown surround system? While I used to love blasting music in surround, now with little kids it's not happening much so the idea of full true surround system is not necessary that important but don't want to compromise and connect directly to the tv either. Thoughts?

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
In anticipation of a 4K Apple TV I recently purchased a new AVR that has 4K pass through (it’s in a basement where I have a 70” 4K TV and an Xbox One S that can do 4K). Price wasn’t bad, and it was an old receiver that needed to be replaced.

If you enjoy the surround sound then I say look out for an inexpensive HDMI based receiver. If you don’t need 4K you’ll likely find something quite inexpensive. Sound bars work great as well (I don’t have one) but have always heard people say good things.

And yeah.. I hear you on the kids.. lol.

Lumpy05

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2010
Bloomington, IN
I have a very similar situation, old 5.1 receiver no hdmi in the living room. We tried just running the TV speakers for a bit but wife/kids all agreed that the sound quality was pitiful. So I reconnected the old receiver and installed smaller speakers on the wall and hid the sub behind the couch. Now there is full range sound but also less intrusive speaker footprint. I expect that as I upgrade the basement theater receiver it will come upstairs and replace the old non hdmi receiver and my current apple tv 4 will come up with it. I dont have a 4k TV in the house yet but when I do Im sure I will upgrade at least on or two of the apple TV 3's.

So I guess you should decide on what you want and can live with, 5.1 is great, soundbars are less great, and TV speakers are pitiful.

Reactions: JeffPerrin

JeffPerrin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
Or a full blown surround system? While I used to love blasting music in surround, now with little kids it's not happening much so the idea of full true surround system is not necessary that important but don't want to compromise and connect directly to the tv either. Thoughts?

No need to ditch surround because of kids! A good receiver will last through their childhood (it goes quick!) and believe it or not, kids can appreciate great surround sound too! :) Look for 4K and UHD/Dolby Vision support.

Plus, those animated kids movies can have great surround tracks. (Big Hero 6 comes to mind. Listen for Fall Out Boy's "Immortals".)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.