Apple TV UK version

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Deadeyeshark, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Deadeyeshark macrumors regular

Deadeyeshark

I'm happy with the Apple TV. The whole experience feels a lot more fluid, the apps aren't great, but will get better. Siri works like a charm and unlike the Fire TV also searches through Netflix, which is extremely useful. A big step up from 3rd gen IMHO.

Please check out my unboxing video for the UK 32gb version, :)

2. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

i'm liking mine so far but only thing i've used apps wise is the NBA game time app. not got netflix. Only got NBA and youtube downloaded so far.

I'm actually using airplay quite abit though

3. Deadeyeshark thread starter macrumors regular

Deadeyeshark

Yeah, definitely need a few more apps. Can't seem to find the trailers App which I did use a fair bit on the ATV 3rd gen. Not a deal breaker because I can use You Tube, but it was handy to have them all in one place.

4. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

What I do like though is the fact there is no amazon prime app but I just airplay the amazon prime from my ipad and when I use siri to go back 30 secs or whatever it works well..wasn't sure siri would work in that way the same way it would in an app

5. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

Really? That's very cool.

6. Deadeyeshark thread starter macrumors regular

Deadeyeshark

I'm using the Fire TV alongside the ATV. The voice search, there is no comparison, Siri is streets ahead, but can still improve. I'm thinking voice search in third party apps like You Tube would be an awesome addition.

7. tango125 macrumors newbie

8. Deadeyeshark thread starter macrumors regular

Deadeyeshark

Yes, I downloaded this app, but most of the channels seemed to be greyed out, presumably can be unlocked by crossing the apps makers palm with silver.

Seem to be missing the Sky NOW app, which was on ATV3 :( Hoping that comes back soon because I ditched my Sky Box because of it.

9. BMox macrumors 6502

BMox

The Now TV app is due to be released in the next few days apparently...

I think TV Player is a more than suitable app until iPlayer comes out (for the BBC side of things anyway). The plus channels will cost £4.99 a month.

10. Blujelly macrumors 65816

Blujelly

I'm extremely impressed with ATV4 so far, yes there are barely any apps, but its new I wouldn't expect it different. So far I've got Netflix, RedBull and Crossy Road....

The new remote is great as well works really well, love the new track pad style on the remote.

Hoping the Remote App will work soon, as to be honest its easier to type emails address's and passwords, other then that its great so far! Could also do maybe with a finger print scanner button for purchases, I've turned off the setting that asks for the password every time but still come on Apple :p

Siri I find is amazing thought I'd do a test like they did during the conference. Asked to show me an episode of friends with Bruce Willis in it, and 2 seconds later there it was. Asked it to show me various other shows with I knew were on Netflix and once again it worked great.

Haven't tried anything music related yet as I don't think it works if I'm right I'm saying?

Unfortunately until I move into my new home it has been boxed up again :(

11. Deadeyeshark thread starter macrumors regular

Deadeyeshark

The new ATV , a Quick look at the UK interface

12. Deadeyeshark thread starter macrumors regular

Deadeyeshark

13. RB1959 macrumors member

RB1959

For a moment last night I thought we finally had "Categories" When I turned the ATV4 on there it was, at the top of the screen. I clicked on it and nothing happened, just a blank screen, so I went back to the home screen and went to try again only "Categories" was no longer there. Very odd.

14. FilmfreundCH macrumors newbie

FilmfreundCH

Same here - still in stealth mode :)

You only have categories under purchased... But the apps are really coming now: my ATV is already loaded with 20gb.

15. BingoBlue, Dec 18, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2015

BingoBlue macrumors member

I'm still holding out on the Apple TV; I've said it before but Roku hardware provides a better UK offering for my needs currently. That said I need to move from wifi to ethernet due to poor wifi in my house and all my Roku kit is wifi only so needs to be replaced. As it happens the Roku remote is a nightmare as it connects / disconnects all the time and given i'm so tied in with the Apple ecosystem I am holding out on Apple.

Current state of play;

iPlayer: Yes
    Netflix: Yes
    Now TV: YES (Updated after correction from RB1959)

Amazon Video: In Progress

ITV Hub: No Plans
    ALL 4: No Plans
    5oD: No Plans

Still a little while away but once I get all of those above I'll be moving over to Apple TV.

16. RB1959, Dec 18, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2015

RB1959 macrumors member

RB1959

We do have Now TV already. Works great.

I haven't loaded many apps, just the best ones. Plex, BBC iPlayer, Netflix, Now TV and a couple of games, speed test etc. Loving iPlayer, bloody brilliant and much better than the Samsung TV or Freesat versions. IOS app is still the best version though.

I can't say I miss ITV, All4, 5OD etc. I have them on the TV and the Freesat box and there's nothing worth watching, unless you like soaps and trashy TV, but I suppose the more choice the better.

17. BingoBlue macrumors member

I don't have a TV aerial / satellite dish or watch Live TV online so we have no TV licence. Also means the apps are the only way of watching anything that catches our interest. We use All4 a lot so would miss that greatly... less so the others but I refuse to switch until it matches what I already have at a minimum.

18. RB1959 macrumors member

RB1959

We now have categories. Not sure they make a great difference though?

19. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Here is a comparison with the ROKU 4 in the UK which has both wires ethernet and WIFI ac.

IPLAYER - Loads but not working because device not yet officially UK supported
    Netflix: Yes with some 4K movies
    Now TV: yes

Amazon Video: Yes with some 4K movies

ITV: Yes
    All 4: Yes
    5oD: Yes

20. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I've just bought the new Apple TV for myself as a Christmas present. I already have the Apple TV 3 but wasn't too fused about upgrading. Anyway whilst out today I went to small authorised Apple seller and tried out the new remote and played a bit of pac man and Crossy roads. After that I thought it was worth the upgrade. The remote is pretty neat. I haven't set it up yet though so will report back when I do.

Can we still AirPlay content from Amazon prime to the Apple TV 4? I can do this on my Apple TV 3.

21. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Yes, regarding AirPlay.

22. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

Thank you. :)

I've set it up now. Quite impressed. It's a nice upgrade from my Apple TV 3. Siri works a lot better than I thought it would and its something that I will actually use. I also like the new remote and I'm enjoying playing games on there.

23. SG94 macrumors member

SG94

Just FYI. The UK license is for having a device in your property capable of receiving live transmissions whether you use it or not. If the device you use to view content from any source has a TV tuner, used or not, you need a license. Should you ever get a knock on the door and go to court, the adjudicator will stop your defence at:
    'Is it capable of receiving live OTA transmissions?'
    'Yes but...'
    'Case closed. Next.....'
    ;-)

Been there, done that :-/

24. DougieB macrumors newbie

Did you get fined for it? That goes against point six here.

Given pretty much every iOS/Android device is capable of watching live TV (through iPlayer app etc), that's a pretty broad definition!

25. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Not sure you read and understood his post correctly. He is correct, if you have a device with a tuner capable of receiving OTA you pay the license. There is no IOS/Android device that has an OTA tuner.