Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple TV WiFi goes super slow requiring reboot

IscariotJ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2004
UK
I had this issue on two of my ATV's ( 4K, and ATV4 ), and found that when it slowed down ( even streaming locally would be painful ), the ATV's would be on 2.4Ghz as opposed to 5Ghz. I'm running Amplifi HD's, so installed an additional node ( an Instant, instead of a mesh point, as they're horrid ), and that seems to have cured the issue. I initially had two nodes, and I think that the ATV's were picking the furthest one when waking from sleep.

Comment

satcomer

macrumors 604
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
I had this issue on two of my ATV's ( 4K, and ATV4 ), and found that when it slowed down ( even streaming locally would be painful ), the ATV's would be on 2.4Ghz as opposed to 5Ghz. I'm running Amplifi HD's, so installed an additional node ( an Instant, instead of a mesh point, as they're horrid ), and that seems to have cured the issue. I initially had two nodes, and I think that the ATV's were picking the furthest one when waking from sleep.

Have you tried running to slightly different names for your 5Ghz network from your 2.4 Network! That might help!

Comment

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
I’ve had Apple TV’s for several generations and I’ve had this problem for years. It takes about a month before the Apple TV slows down to point of an issue though. But I power it down and restart it and I’m back to my normal, very fast internet.
I think it is an Apple programming issue.

Comment

Brad Smith

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2003
Vancouver, BC, Canada
I’m definitely having a lot of issues with a brand new Apple TV 4K (where I had few or none with an older Apple TV 4). I get about 50Mbps down and 8Mbps up after rebooting it, but over time while streaming it drops to less tha 1Mbps and the streams go pixelated and blocky. I’ve tried different placements — all within about 20ft Of the router — with no luck. I have gigabit up/down internet, and when I test with my iPhone or iPad placed in the same spot as the Apple TV I get between 450 Mbps and 550 Mbps — both up and down.

Comment

shakopeemn

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2014
I’m definitely having a lot of issues with a brand new Apple TV 4K (where I had few or none with an older Apple TV 4). I get about 50Mbps down and 8Mbps up after rebooting it, but over time while streaming it drops to less tha 1Mbps and the streams go pixelated and blocky. I’ve tried different placements — all within about 20ft Of the router — with no luck. I have gigabit up/down internet, and when I test with my iPhone or iPad placed in the same spot as the Apple TV I get between 450 Mbps and 550 Mbps — both up and down.

I suspect the WIFI router. My ASUS router allows for ONE SSID for both 2.4 and 5G networks. It sounds great in theory, but not so with experience. I prefer to have different SSIDs. I think at a minimum you should disable single SSID for a week or two.

Good luck with troubleshooting.

Comment

Brad Smith

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2003
Vancouver, BC, Canada
I suspect the WIFI router. My ASUS router allows for ONE SSID for both 2.4 and 5G networks. It sounds great in theory, but not so with experience. I prefer to have different SSIDs. I think at a minimum you should disable single SSID for a week or two.

Good luck with troubleshooting.
Thanks. I’ve tried using different SSIDs, shutting off one or the other as well. No difference. It seems pretty random, but sometimes the slowdown happens after as little as two minutes. No other devices on my network experience any issues.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.