Apple TV won't let me sign in!

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by martin2345uk, Jun 18, 2017.

1. martin2345uk macrumors 6502

Very frustrating this... trying to sign into the iTunes Store on my Apple TV... I get to the stage where it sends the numerical code to my iPad / iPhone, so I enter that code and it just takes me to the 'enter your username' screen, in an endless loop...

Any ideas..?

2. Kurri macrumors 6502

I am having the same exact problem. Let me know if you find a solution. This is an older apple tv? The one I am having problems with is the 3rd gen I believe.

3. 2010mini macrumors 68040

4. zappymac, Jun 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2017

zappymac macrumors newbie

I believe that you have to append the code to your password, or something like that, so if your password is "password" and the code is 123456 you enter "password123456"

Certainly you need both the password and the code; I just don't recall the exact format now. It happened to me a couple of weeks ago, but a bit of googling came up with the solution, which worked fine for me using my 2011 ATV.

5. carrodan macrumors newbie

This is the correct workaround for two-factor identification on the older Apple TV models. Did it on my 2nd gen last night.

6. martin2345uk thread starter macrumors 6502

But the code only shows up on my phone after I have I put my password into the Apple tv and hit enter.. how do I then append the code to the password?

Sorry if that sounds dense..!

7. zappymac macrumors newbie

Not dense at all - I remember struggling with it for a while :)

As best as I recall, you go through the procedure twice: first time gets you the code, second time to add the code to your PW as above.

I'm sure someone will be along to correct me if I got it wrong - I remember thinking that it was a lot more intelligent that I was assuming it was ! Let us know if it works.

8. Macman74 macrumors member

I'm going to have to try this tonight. I about beat my head into a wall over this.

9. lolkthxbai macrumors 65816

lolkthxbai

straight from apple support article:
    What if I use two-factor authentication on a device running older software?
    If you use two-factor authentication with devices running older OS versions, you might be asked to add your six-digit verification code to the end of your password when signing in. Get your verification code from a trusted device running iOS 9 and later or OS X El Capitan and later, or have it sent to your trusted phone number. Then type your password followed by the six-digit verification code directly into the password field.

10. Mrsede macrumors newbie

Mrsede

Thank you so much! I'd been having the same problem and was beyond frustrated! Thank you!

11. thisiswasteoftime macrumors newbie

Tried this unsuccessfully. This is such a waste of time! There should be an easier way to enter in your user name and passwords, especially when you have to do it 10 to 12 times before you can figure out what apple wants.

12. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Why don't you setup via an iPhone? Way easier and quicker.

13. TaylorPlayer macrumors newbie

TaylorPlayer

I actually had to go out to the Apple ID account website and turn off two factor authentication. Then I could sign right in. I had to change my password to my account a couple of times so my Apple TV kept making sign in with my new password but the authentication step must have been corrupting the password entry step. Turn it off, sign in, and then go back out to the Apple ID account page and turn it back on.

14. HoustonArmours macrumors newbie

HoustonArmours

3/18/2018: I was having the same issue with my Apple TV 3. The “append code to password” solution just worked for me! Thanks for sharing!

15. AndreasT macrumors newbie

AndreasT

Just wanted to chime in for anyone having the same issue as me, which looks like this issue, but is not. Apparently there is a situation where your Apple TV is online (can update) and seems to be connected to Apple, but isn't really. I don't know the reason, I suspect a port issue somewhere on your local network.
    This results in that no request for verification is being sent and you just get a failed message. Adding a verification code manually from a trusted device doesn't work either. You cannot connect to iTunes Store either. Switching to Ethernet doesn't work either.

The solution for me was to create a wifi hotspot from my phone and connect the Apple TV through there. Everything worked first time. Even verification worked directly. iTunes Store also.
    Hope this helps someone, spent almost a day messing with this.

16. TheMrIncredible macrumors newbie

TheMrIncredible

This is the exact problem I'm having. It happened out of nowhere, and I'm not sure why. I don't have a hotspot to test out your solution. Is there really no work around other than that?

It's a joke that even reset my password and I'm still getting an error modal.

17. AndreasT macrumors newbie

AndreasT

I don't know of any other way than to try another network. If you can't tether to a phone, maybe take the Apple TV to a friends house and try? I suspect there is something in our routers or ISP that blocks the initial connection to Apple's servers. After connecting once through the hotspot, I can connect on LAN normally.

18. davedish macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Jun 7, 2018 ---
    I just wanted to followup on AndreasT's post: I had the exact same problem when I tried to fire up my Apple TV after I had been out of the house for over a month (all devices including network router were powered down). When he says "tether to a phone", that doesn't mean you have to have a physical USB connection to the ATV, just have the WiFi hotspot on your phone activated (for help doing this, do a quick web search. It's very easy, but you may have to contact your cellular provider to turn this feature on, which I had to do with my Consumer Cellular account. Be advised, it will eat your data as long as you are making use of it).

The other requirement is you have to have the Ethernet (CAT-5) cable unplugged from the back of the Apple TV; otherwise, the unit will attempt to connect via the LAN. The way I did it was to physically unplug the power cord from the ATV, then plugged it in (with the Ethernet cable out). Since I had previously performed a "Restore" of my unit, the welcome screen came up and it searched for a WiFi network. Simply enter the name of your WiFi hotspot network, then enter the password when prompted. At this point, I was setting it up again like it just came out of the box; but it worked the first time, just like Andreas said it would!

Thanks Andreas for blowing a day to figure out this tip...It only took me an hour or so to implement it!!

19. Tech198 macrumors G5

Doesn't that sound like a wacky workaround ?

I guess on old devices Apple didn't do it probably. Just seems kinda odd you gotta get it denied once, just to get the code. I still have Apple TV 3 device, so may try that tonight.