Apple TV won't let me sign in!

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by martin2345uk, Jun 18, 2017.

1. martin2345uk macrumors member

Very frustrating this... trying to sign into the iTunes Store on my Apple TV... I get to the stage where it sends the numerical code to my iPad / iPhone, so I enter that code and it just takes me to the 'enter your username' screen, in an endless loop...

Any ideas..?

2. Kurri macrumors 6502

I am having the same exact problem. Let me know if you find a solution. This is an older apple tv? The one I am having problems with is the 3rd gen I believe.

3. 2010mini macrumors 68040

4. zappymac, Jun 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2017

zappymac macrumors newbie

I believe that you have to append the code to your password, or something like that, so if your password is "password" and the code is 123456 you enter "password123456"

Certainly you need both the password and the code; I just don't recall the exact format now. It happened to me a couple of weeks ago, but a bit of googling came up with the solution, which worked fine for me using my 2011 ATV.

5. carrodan macrumors newbie

This is the correct workaround for two-factor identification on the older Apple TV models. Did it on my 2nd gen last night.

6. martin2345uk thread starter macrumors member

But the code only shows up on my phone after I have I put my password into the Apple tv and hit enter.. how do I then append the code to the password?

Sorry if that sounds dense..!

7. zappymac macrumors newbie

Not dense at all - I remember struggling with it for a while :)

As best as I recall, you go through the procedure twice: first time gets you the code, second time to add the code to your PW as above.

I'm sure someone will be along to correct me if I got it wrong - I remember thinking that it was a lot more intelligent that I was assuming it was ! Let us know if it works.

8. Macman74 macrumors member

I'm going to have to try this tonight. I about beat my head into a wall over this.

9. lolkthxbai macrumors 65816

lolkthxbai

straight from apple support article:
    What if I use two-factor authentication on a device running older software?
    If you use two-factor authentication with devices running older OS versions, you might be asked to add your six-digit verification code to the end of your password when signing in. Get your verification code from a trusted device running iOS 9 and later or OS X El Capitan and later, or have it sent to your trusted phone number. Then type your password followed by the six-digit verification code directly into the password field.