Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macguy87

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
I was able to sync my Apple TV YouTube app with my iPhone YouTube app however I cannot find the ability to “add to que” option that I have on my PS3 YouTube app when streaming from my iPhone. Has anyone figured out why this does not work on the appletv like the ps3?

Lappen71

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2012
It doesn't work because there is no such function. Frankly the youtube app is horrible

Reactions: tonyr6

ersan191

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2013
The YouTube app is god-awful, I couldn't even list newest videos by date on a channel.

Either a third-party app or an updated official YouTube app would be very welcome. The only app I had heard about coming out in 2018 is for YouTube TV, not YouTube videos.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
The YouTube app is god-awful, I couldn't even list newest videos by date on a channel.

Either a third-party app or an updated official YouTube app would be very welcome. The only app I had heard about coming out in 2018 is for YouTube TV, not YouTube videos.
I agree the YouTube app is bad but I don't care much about YouTube like I use too because now it is so filled with Top 5 click-bate videos, videos of reviews with no review just bad music and text you can read off there web page.

Lappen71

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2012
I agree the YouTube app is bad but I don't care much about YouTube like I use too because now it is so filled with Top 5 click-bate videos, videos of reviews with no review just bad music and text you can read off there web page.

So interesting that you don't like the content on Youtube.
Like that would help TS with his question.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
So interesting that you don't like the content on Youtube.
I said I don't care about YouTube much because it is so boring now. I can never find any good reviews anymore. Too many top this and top that video's. What irks me the most is those useless videos with just annoying music and pictures. I do agree that the YouTube app on the Apple TV is bad though. It needs to be updated to the standard new UI.

Lappen71

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2012
I said I don't care about YouTube much because it is so boring now. I can never find any good reviews anymore. Too many top this and top that video's. What irks me the most is those useless videos with just annoying music and pictures. I do agree that the YouTube app on the Apple TV is bad though. It needs to be updated to the standard new UI.

Excuse me but you sounds kind of stupid.It´s not YouTubes fault that you don't know how to search what you want to see.
If you are active and subscribe on channels you think is interesting and press "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" on clips you like or dislike the logarithms will eventually learn what you like and present equivalent media for you.
So don't complain on the content just because you can't find anything you don't like.

Sakurambo-kun

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2015
UK
I honestly have no idea what's going on with the abysmal YouTube app. It hasn't been updated in years. I know Apple and Google don't exactly see eye to eye, but surely a bad YouTube app on a major platform hurts Google?

It's bad enough that the UI resembles an MS-DOS application and that it's missing pretty much all functionality beyond playing videos, but not supporting 4K and HDR is simply unforgivable. The Apple TV has 4K in its name FFS, so give it 4K YouTube!

Here in the UK one of our major streaming services (Now TV (owned by Fox/Murdoch)) is in a similar state to YouTube. Their app literally hasn't moved on since the Apple TV 2 days and is comically bad. Some companies seem to think the Apple TV is where apps go to die.

Reactions: dan980

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2003
As good as everything else on the Apple TV is, I don't understand why they can't come out with a good YouTube app (and with 4K). As it is now, I use for my Apple TV 4K for everything, but switch to my Shield TV when I want to watch YouTube, which is a lot these days actually.

Reactions: dan980

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
As good as everything else on the Apple TV is, I don't understand why they can't come out with a good YouTube app (and with 4K). As it is now, I use for my Apple TV 4K for everything, but switch to my Shield TV when I want to watch YouTube, which is a lot these days actually.

You'll need to talk to Google about that.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
YouTube’s had an overhaul.
Still no 4K regardless of 4K tiles under the videos.
Apparently it supports frame rate switching but when I played back a film the info for nerds showed @24 but my TV remained @50hz.

macguy87

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
YouTube’s had an overhaul.
Still no 4K regardless of 4K tiles under the videos.
Apparently it supports frame rate switching but when I played back a film the info for nerds showed @24 but my TV remained @50hz.
Yeah I opened my YouTube app on my appletv and it now has the que option. I was jumping up and down with excitement as my wife looked at me in a quizzical look lol. This minor addition is awesome!

Reactions: -Gonzo-

furbzv1

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2014
Glad they finally updating the app, now all they have to add is 4K videos

Sakurambo-kun

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2015
UK

Great to see the modern big screen YouTube design on the ATV at last, but the lack of 4K and HDR is insane. It even displays a 4K tag but then plays it in 1080p. Mind boggling.

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
I'm welcoming the improvements but this interface has serious UX/UI issues.
  • The interface feels very poorly optimized.
  • GUI Animations are choppy and sluggish
  • No inertial scrolling of GUI elements.
  • Navigating subscriptions is horrendously slow. Only one row of subscriptions an nightmare if you follow a lot of channels
  • UI input is buffered and elements will continue scrolling / etc if you let go of the remote. terrible!
  • Scrubbing videos are nearly impossible and terribly slow
  • Too many on screen controls when playing a video. Too easy to click the wrong button when wanting to scrub a video
  • Still no way to switch between profiles on the same account.
Just my list of gripes so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: QuarterSwede

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015

Apple / Google are fighting over standards. It won't happen any time soon

Great to see the modern big screen YouTube design on the ATV at last, but the lack of 4K and HDR is insane. It even displays a 4K tag but then plays it in 1080p. Mind boggling.

YouTube’s added this to their ATV Support page
4ba27cd73adc94e55e1d492f9e453127.jpg

Reactions: QuarterSwede

Sanlitun

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
Having to scroll through subscriptions in alphabetical order to get to the one you want is an unbelievable mess.

A huge step backwards that unfortunately may make the app unusable for me.

Reactions: DaveN and Vermifuge

Sakurambo-kun

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2015
UK
YouTube’s added this to their ATV Support page
4ba27cd73adc94e55e1d492f9e453127.jpg

Pretty weak. HEVC is the industry standard. Can VP9 even be added? Or does it require new hardware?

Rather amusingly even the NVidia Shield, the flagship Android TV device can't play HDR YouTube, as Google are using the obscure HLG format which the Shield doesn't support. HLG is also used by the BBC, meaning no 4K HDR BBC content on the Apple TV either.

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
Having to scroll through subscriptions in alphabetical order to get to the one you want is an unbelievable mess.

Design is the opposite of user friendly... it’s user hostile!

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
Is frame rate switching working for anyone else?
According to what I’ve read elsewhere is should do but doesn’t seem to be for me.

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2010

I agree. The update is a huge step backwards. In addition, now I've been getting commercials injected into the middle of some 15 minute videos. One commercial before and one in the middle. The fast forward, back functions are spotty. Ugh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.