Apple TV2 outputs lager than the screen...?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Meever, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Meever macrumors 6502a

Well this is a weird one. I've got an apple tv2 hooked up and every time I do play anything (and maybe the UI as well) don't quite seem to fit on the screen.

Like 10% of the video doesn't fit on the screen. If I adjust the picture I can move up and down/left right to see that the video isn't quite fitting....

I have a native 1080p set and it's displaying at 720p so I have no idea what is going on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. gr8tfly, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011

gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

There may be a setting on your tv to display at 1:1, vs a slight overscan which is there because some HD sources don't fill their respective resolutions completely.

On my Panasonic 50" 1080 plasma, I have this feature disabled (so it's displaying at 1:1). On the Mac, it has overscan enabled. This allows the Mac desktop to completely fill the TV properly.

If I'm mirroring, the Mac's display 1920x1200, is trimmed to 1080 resolution. If I'm using the tv as a second display, I will get full resolution for both.

Edit: I was thinking it was interfacing to a Mac. Misread it was ATV. But, at any rate, the fix for the tv's side would be the same suggestion. I have a first gen ATV and it fills the TV properly with TV set to 1:1.