Apple tv3 and dvd rips.

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by the19thbear, Jul 27, 2015.

1. the19thbear macrumors newbie

Hi. I might be getting an atv3.

I want to do a bunch of dvd iso's of my dvd collection and play them on the apt3. This cant by done because there is no jailbrake for the atv3.
    I could use xbmc/kodi but i would have to use airplay. I would like to be able to use my mac for other things while showing movies.. I could also use plex but that cant read dvd isos.

The reason i want to do isos is that i want to maintain the surround sound mix, subtitles etc and i want to be able to switch them on/off later on.

Or is there a way to rip the dvds and still get max quality and stereo/surround sound/subtitles etc and enable/disable whatever i want later on? Handbrake comes to mind but im not sure about the settings etc. And maybe just sync that file via itunes? or use xbmc/plex? iTunes would be the best option for me since i dont have to fiddle around too much with 3rd party stuff.

Thanks!

2. GreatDrok macrumors 6502a

GreatDrok

You can maintain surround sound and subtitles with Handbrake. With the subtitles it is easiest to set them to burned in and you should be good. Also, use subler to add the necessary cover art and content info to the file before importing into iTunes. Best solution all around. However, if you want to create subtitles that the ATV can use you need to convert them to SRT which means a bit of extra work as in this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/apple-tv-handbrake-and-subtitles.1671240/

I've done it both ways and prefer the subs to be burned in myself because with SRT subtitles you get this box behind them which I don't like but you can turn them off so you may want to try both ways. Handbrake from the disc is by far the easiest solution though.

3. the19thbear thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi. And Thanks:)
    I really want to be able to turn subs on/off and be able to change the language.
    My "mission" is to save as much information as possible from the original dvd. I don't want to miss anything when ripping/displaying.
    Also want to keep all languages etc.
    Hmmm don't know if it's worth it. Still seems a hassle with the extra subtitle thing you have to run.
    In the long run I would like to rub everything from a NAS if possible. But I guess that takes a jail breaked aptv.
    Thanks again and if anyone else have any suggestions just let me know:)

4. Longkeg macrumors regular

If you're only doing DVDs, and don't have any Bluerays in your future, you might consider trying to pick up and jailbreak a first gen ATV. With DVDs you don't need the HD capabilities of the later Apple TVs. The jailbreak from ATV Flash will handle full DVD rips and will let you connect external drives for expanded storage. It worked great for me a few years ago but with the move to Bluerays and HD I had to retool and upgrade.

Just curious... Preserving all the data on a DVD is going to result in very large SD files that will quickly fill up a hard drive. What is the advantage of storing them on a drive? Why not just play them in a dedicated player?

5. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

For me harddrive space is cheap, I have a NAS box. The advantage, having all of my movies at my finger tips. No need to go through my collection, find the DVD, pull it out of the shelf, pull it out of the plastic binder, place it in the dvd player, and press play. Instead, I can search and press play.

There is some work up to do this, but once done, it is nice. I also put all my DVD covers in a box and then have another small box that houses the physical disks in a closet (use third party software to catalog them). So I know longer have to worry about storing them in a location that is easy accessible. I have them backed up to several disks and if I do lose a disk, I pop a new one in and it rebuilds itself.

So there is some preparing and setting up.

6. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

I went the route you are going years ago and converted about 180 DVD's. Took a while to do it and also wanted to keep the DVD Original and the MP4 File and also the backup. So, it took a lot of disk space. But I found that I really only watch 10% of them. And they were pretty old. So, I ended up buying the HD Version via iTunes of the top 10 which did not cost much because they were old. Maybe first investment was around $150. Some were 9.99 and some were more. I currently have about 92 iTunes HD Movies and I do not have to manage anything and I can download to any of my devices or ATV (have 7). And no need to keep iTunes Server running. I also did something similar for my music which I did not have much. I really feel "for me" the headache is simply not worth it. Also, keep in mind if you have Netflix and others you get access to a lot of older movies.

7. westrock2000 macrumors 6502

Assuming you have the physical disc, you could always rip the "convenient" version and then if for whatever reason you wanted to view the extras you could just watch the disc itself. If you "acquiring" the physical disc for a short duration you could clone the disc as well and then still have physical copy.

Disc are cheap enough now that I am going to start making physical copies in addition to the digital rip copies.

8. schlotz macrumors member

You don't need a jailbroken atV. Use Plexconnect in conjunction with Plex Media Server. I rip both DVD's and BD's then use Handbrake to create a friendly atv3 version which includes subtitles using an external srt file. Currently over 500 movies at my finger tips to watch. Family loves it!