Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple TV's 'Lowtide' Media Interface Running on an iPod Touch

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Yesterday, we noted that users digging through the Apple TV firmware discovered that the operating system's interface application, known as "Lowtide", carries hidden settings indicating compatibility with the iPad. The discovery naturally led to speculation that some of the Apple TV's features, such as the ability to accept streaming video input via AirPlay, could make their way to the iPad.

TUAW now points to a YouTube video showing the Lowtide application running on a fourth-generation iPod touch. While porting Lowtide to the iPod touch involved a fair amount of work and is not something that the vast majority of users would likely want to or even should attempt, especially given the fact that the result is essentially a non-functional implementation of the Apple TV, it does serve as an interesting example of how some of the new Apple TV's features could make the transition to Apple's other iOS devices relatively easily.

Article Link: Apple TV's 'Lowtide' Media Interface Running on an iPod Touch

talkingfuture

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2008
The back of beyond.
I suppose it would be logical to allow you to stream to your iPad or iPhone / touch as well as streaming from it.

In fact didn't Jobs say that would happen eventually through Airplay?

Comment

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
I want to be able to stream DVD video from my MBP to my (future) ATV or iPad. Can this be done? I don't want to have to encode everything, especially movies I might get through NetFlix or RedBox, since that is also illegal? Just pop it in and stream.

Also confused about whether or not I can hookup an ATV to my HDTV, it is four years old and has component inputs as well as DVI and no digital audio hookups. DVI has HDCP, not sure about component. I think the audio will be the main problem? How can I fix that issue?

Comment

leukotriene

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
Ok, so maybe I'm lacking some imagination on this :)

But is the interest in Apple building in Airplay streaming into iphones and ipads boil down to people wanting to stream music/videos from their computer to their iOS device without having to plug it in and sync it up over a cable? This can be achieved already with apps like Zumocast and Airvideo. BUT, their interfaces are sloppy and I'm sure Apple could do a much much better job.

So my question to folks out there who are excited about Apple possibly baking in Airplay client capabilities into iPhones and ipads: what are you looking forward to doing with that feature, specifically?

macduke said:
I want to be able to stream DVD video from my MBP to my (future) ATV or iPad. Can this be done? I don't want to have to encode everything, especially movies I might get through NetFlix or RedBox, since that is also illegal? Just pop it in and stream.

Ok see that's interesting. Does anyone know if this can be done already when sharing an optical drive over wifi to a Macbook Air? If it is possible on the Macbook Air to do this, then we at least know that legally speaking, the licenses allow this sort of thing and the only thing stopping Apple from building this into iOS is technical or a policy decision.

Edit: but Im guessing that Apple likely has zero interest in working on any features that involve plastic discs anymore.

Comment

edk99

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
FL
Jeez! For the 1 millionth time THE MOVIES HAVE TO EXIST IN ITUNES. Get a DVD player if you are not going to convert them because of legalities.

Also confused about whether or not I can hookup an ATV to my HDTV, it is four years old and has component inputs as well as DVI and no digital audio hookups. DVI has HDCP, not sure about component. I think the audio will be the main problem? How can I fix that issue?
Not sure what the confusion is. You need to get a converter to convert it from digital to analog http://www.ramelectronics.net/audio...-digital-to-analog/1t-ap-216/prod1TAP216.html

Comment

blackNBUK

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2010
UK

I think the problem with DVD streaming is that most people already own a DVD player that is connected to their TV. Of course this doesn't help with watching DVDs on an iPad but that is going to be a much smaller niche. I just don't see Apple spending the resources necessary to get this working when not many people are going to use the feature.

You can get Digital to Analogue audio convertors pretty cheaply. I've got a 4 input one in my stereo system that I bought on eBay a few years ago.

Comment

dogzilla

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2008

But is the interest in Apple building in Airplay streaming into iphones and ipads boil down to people wanting to stream music/videos from their computer to their iOS device without having to plug it in and sync it up over a cable? This can be achieved already with apps like Zumocast and Airvideo. BUT, their interfaces are sloppy and I'm sure Apple could do a much much better job.

So my question to folks out there who are excited about Apple possibly baking in Airplay client capabilities into iPhones and ipads: what are you looking forward to doing with that feature, specifically?

This is exactly what I want. Right now, I'm in the process of converting the 160 DVDs I own to MP4 files on my Mac Mini, which I use the way many folks would use an AppleTV (it's hooked up to my 45" HDTV and runs FrontRow). I also have written a PHP script that lists the contents of the movie folder, which presents a nicely-formatted list via a webpage. Clicking on one of those links calls a page with a player (HTML5 video or Flash depending on client) which connects to a developer edition (read "free") version of the Wowza Streaming Server that in turn streams the requested file out. The PHP script checks the client and if it's an iphone, it uses a lower-bandwidth copy (that I've re-encoded myself). Safari users (iPad and desktop) get a higher-bandwidth HTML5 version, while non-Safari clients get the Flash version. So, from a single location, I can watch on the big screen (via FrontRow), my laptop upstairs while cooking dinner, my iPhone over 3G, or the kids can gather around my mother's iPad at her house while we visit.

The end result is I have access to my movies wherever I am, via 3G iPhone or local laptop, or while visiting family with just a Windows machine. Anyone who wonders why I've done this doesn't have children, although I'll admit I'll probably lose my mind if I have to sit through any more "Thomas the Tank Engine".

Note though that I've had to hack together this system on my own, and it's a labor-intensive process (movies need to be converted at 2 sizes) requiring
specialized knowledge (I do this kind of thing for a living). Having a simple solution overlaid with a pretty interface for a price of $99 is well worth it, especially if I have access to *all* my media, not just what I thought of/had time to load on my iPhone before leaving for the day/trip/vacation.

Comment

GQB

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007

If you put the new Remote app on your iPad and enable Home Sharing on your MBP, you can stream right now.

edit: ah, you want to stream a DVD. Gotcha.

Comment

blackNBUK

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2010
UK

I'm confused about this too, especially as AirPlay is setup as a push mechanism. I just can't see many situations where I would be watching a video on my computer and then decide that I really want to see it on my iPad or iPhone. Conversely I can see loads of situations where I would want to push content from my iPad to a big screen TV. For example, I might find a long YouTube video and want to see it on my TV.

I can definitely see the use of adding a pull mechanism to the iOS devices. Having access to everything in my iTunes library from anywhere in the house would be very nice. However AirPlay isn't that pull mechanism.

Comment

grmatt

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010
I'm confused about this too, especially as AirPlay is setup as a push mechanism. I just can't see many situations where I would be watching a video on my computer and then decide that I really want to see it on my iPad or iPhone. Conversely I can see loads of situations where I would want to push content from my iPad to a big screen TV. For example, I might find a long YouTube video and want to see it on my TV.

I can definitely see the use of adding a pull mechanism to the iOS devices. Having access to everything in my iTunes library from anywhere in the house would be very nice. However AirPlay isn't that pull mechanism.

You can do this with AirPlay. Push to your ATV.

Comment

blackNBUK

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2010
UK
You can do this with AirPlay. Push to your ATV.

I should have made that clearer. I realise that pushing content to the AppleTV and the Airport Express is the whole point of AirPlay. I was just trying to say that I can see more situations where I would want to push content from a mobile device to a big screen or good audio system, than I can see situations where I would want to push from a computer to a mobile device.

Comment

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
AirPlay only works to stream from iTunes on a computer to an AppleTV right now.

It will take iOS 4.2 (coming "soon",) to enable AirPlay directly from an iOS device to an AppleTV. And nothing explicitly states that you will be able to play content that is on your computer/iTunes to your iOS device. Even with iOS 4.2, the valid combinations are:

Media on iTunes -> AppleTV/AirPort Express, control from computer (AirPlay)
Media on iOS -> AppleTV/AirPort Express, control from computer (AirPlay)

Media on iTunes -> AppleTV, Control from AppleTV (Built-in AppleTV "streaming")

CONTROL iTunes from iOS ("Remote" App)
- Control iTunes from iOS, and output to AppleTV/AirPort Express (Remote App + AirPlay)
Control AppleTV from iOS (Remote App)

What is *NOT* supported is:
Media on iTunes -> Play on iOS.

This may change by the time iOS 4.2 is officially released, but right now there is no indication of this functionality. (Just like at present, there is no "streaming rent" anywhere other than directly on AppleTV. On iOS or iTunes, you can only do a "download rent".)

What I want, now that AppleTV has lost its local storage, is the ability to store my iTunes content on an AirPort Disk (or Time Capsule,) and have AppleTV access it from there. Apple may want the world to stream TV and movies, but that doesn't help with my 30 GB music collection, 200 GB of already purchased movies, 100 GB of home videos, and 40 GB of photos. I don't want to have to leave a Mac always on, with iTunes and iPhoto running 24/7, just so I can watch/hear my media on an AppleTV. Especially when I already have another Apple-made networked storage device on my network.

Comment

skeep5

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2006
AZ
i like the iPad Apple TV combo idea, switch to iPad, oh wait I'm back on the couch slap it on the Boob tube. Back and forth, yes? Who's with me.

Comment

blizaine

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2003
AirVideo app + AirPlay could = awesomeness. Play any video from your computer's hard drive, regardless of format, on the ATV (via iPad/iPhone 4.2)

Comment

BeSweeet

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I had someone do this on their iPhone 4 (I uploaded Lowtide.app), and it didn't work, since you need to transfer some frameworks and other files, but it can be done on ANY jailbroken iDevice. I would have done it on my iPhone 4, but I've been on stock 4.1 for weeks and don't want to downgrade. The speed of being stock is amazing.

Comment

leukotriene

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
There's lots of confusion about Airplay out there

So several people have chimed in to my original question regarding the usefulness of iPhones and iPads acting as a client for AirPlay.

One of the common use-cases brought up on this thread (including by Arnold Kim elsewhere, I think), is the case where you're watching content on your Apple TV, pause it, then walk away and resume on your iPad, with the iPad acting as an AirPlay client.

But I don't think this is as useful as some of you guys may think. The point of "switching" over to your iPad or iPhone is that you're probably about to leave the house and go mobile. Until Apple comes out with something like "Airplay over the Internet", this dream scenario can't happen, because the video is beaming to your iPad via your home wifi which cuts out when you leave the door.

The way I see it, there are several ways Airplay can work:

1-Airplay over LAN via Wifi - this is the current implementation. Currently is limited to iTunes 10 and iOS mobile devices (running 4.2) acting as servers for content, and the Apple TV acting as client.

2-Airplay over the internet, received via Wifi

3-Airplay over the internet, received via 3G

4-"Airplay" from a remote cloud server to a client registered with an iTunes account

Scenario 1 is the current implementation, and scenarios 2, 3, and 4 are what I think people actually want in their dream setup. Scenario 3 is dependent on the mobile carrier allowing users to stream bandwidth intensive video on their network, and both scenarios 2 and 3 are actually not very ideal. Apple knows that the upload bandwidth from households in the U.S. is excruciatingly slow, and streaming a movie from home to your iPad probably doesn't meet Apple's high standards for experiencing video playback. They're happy leaving it up to third-party apps like Air Video and Zumocast to do that sort of thing.

So finally, scenario 4: this I believe is Apple's ideal solution, and I think it's why they're building the North Carolina data center. This is essentially an iTunes "in the cloud", and it gets around the problem of crappy upload bandwidth in the average household. But it introduces a new problem: yeah it's great that I can rent a movie from Apple and stream it from the cloud, but what about the 160 GB of movies I already have on my home computer's iTunes? That would take forever to manually upload to Apple's servers.

I think Apple will get around that by scanning your library in a way similar to Lala did, and instead of uploading a local purchased movie from the home computer to the server, Apple will just "check a box" on their server and now let you stream it. Same deal with music. And as for your home camcorder videos that obviously don't exist in Apple's iTunes content database? That's what MobileMe is for, or at least that's the response Apple will give. So you'll have to bite the bullet and upload your home videos manually, just like we've always been doing.

What will be interesting is how Apple will handle commercial films that people have ripped from their DVD's that are in their iTunes library. Apple could recognize that as a legit "purchase", and check the magical checkbox that enables cloud streaming for that movie. But I'd bet against that, because that kind of feature would step all over Hollywood's balls.

Comment

rodion.foma

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2010
very great news,i bought a apple TV recently

Comment

Eva12

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2010
What will be interesting is how Apple will handle commercial films that people have ripped from their DVD's that are in their iTunes library. Apple could recognize that as a legit "purchase", and check the magical checkbox that enables cloud streaming for that movie. But I'd bet against that, because that kind of feature would step all over Hollywood's balls.

You should give Plex (OS X) + KLEXi (iOS) a try.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.