Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

During today's fourth quarter earnings call, Apple CEO Tim Cook commented on the Retina iPad mini, noting that it is unclear whether Apple will have enough supplies to meet demand for the tablet.

According to Cook, while Apple is aware of how many Retina iPad minis the company can produce, it is unclear how much demand will exist for the tablet. As noted by Apple during the Retina mini's second-generation introduction, a Retina display has been one of the most requested features for the tablet.

ipadminispacegray.png
Multiple sources have suggested that the Retina iPad mini will be in short supply throughout 2013, which has been all but confirmed by Apple's nebulous November release date. According to a report from last week, following its November debut, Retina iPad mini supplies could be "ridiculously tight" until 2014. Cook did not offer any further information on a prospective launch date.

While supplies of the Retina iPad mini will be constrained, supplies of the iPad Air are expected to be more plentiful. When the iPad Air goes on sale on November 1, the company is expected to offer same day in-store pickup for orders. On account of high quantities of the iPad Air, Cook was positive about overall iPad sales during the quarter, stating "I think it's going to be an iPad Christmas."

Cook also confirmed that Apple has had a significant backlog on iPhone 5s supplies, but is working to build up stock each week. He remains confident that Apple will be able to continue to build up its iPhone 5s supplies as it launches in additional countries around the world in the coming weeks. Currently, iPhone 5s shipping times in the United States and multiple other countries remain at 2 to 3 weeks.

Article Link: Apple 'Unclear' on Whether Retina iPad Mini Supplies Will Meet Demand

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
Hopefully!!!

It would be nice to see a surprise here. I think demand might have shrunk a little bit just because of the price but I think it will still be pretty high.

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
@ $399 with A7 chip

it will bulldozer the iPad AIR and iPad 2.

Apple better be ready for iPad mini demand.

Hope it is not a paper launch.

iPad mini is the best iDevice at $399 for the BRIC regions. you can not beat the price with the technology it is packed.

giantfan1224

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Hopefully!!!

It would be nice to see a surprise here. I think demand might have shrunk a little bit just because of the price but I think it will still be pretty high.

I was certain I would buy a mini if it was announced to have retina. But considering the price bump and the iPad Air having a smaller form factor and being almost .5 pounds lighter, I might just stick with the 9.7" screen.

mcphee7

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
I call BS.

Do we really think a company as huge as Apple with all their resources would allow that to happen before Christmas?

It's clever advertising and ensures that people join those queues for a product that will be in plentiful supply believing that if they don;t get one there and then, they won't manage to get one under the tree this year.

Clever.

blue22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
still pricey though...

Retina Mini is going to be popular, especially for those looking to save a bill or two compared to the iPad Air.

giantfan1224

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
I'm betting on Apple releasing a date November 1st with the iPad Air launch.

Nah. They're saying later in November, and since they usually announce about 10 days prior, we're looking at Nov. 15-20 announcement date. A Black Friday release would be interesting--however pointless since supply will be constrained regardless on when it is released.

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
Retina Mini is going to be popular, especially for those looking to save a bill or two compared to the iPad Air.

$399 - absolutely nice price point considering it is packing same internals as the big brother iPad Air.

It is expensive compared to nexus 7 and kindle fire but they are selling at cost where as apple has at least 35% margin.

with iWork and iLife you got few more software for free and iOS ecosystem.

I wish next year apple does this
iPhone 6C (Same internals as iPhone 6 but made of plastic for $100 less)

giantfan1224

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
I call BS.

Do we really think a company as huge as Apple with all their resources would allow that to happen before Christmas?

It's clever advertising and ensures that people join those queues for a product that will be in plentiful supply believing that if they don;t get one there and then, they won't manage to get one under the tree this year.

Clever.

Apparently you don't understand the complexities of supply chain management, even for a company with the resources of Apple. But go ahead and believe what you want...

miazma

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2010
my prediction:

every apple user who ever thought about buying an ebook-reader will buy an ipad mini instead. and for the reason of portability and ease of use, half of the ipad owners will do the same after they are in need of a new tablet device.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
I was certain I would buy a mini if it was announced to have retina. But considering the price bump and the iPad Air having a smaller form factor and being almost .5 pounds lighter, I might just stick with the 9.7" screen.
Of course you might stick with the Air. But will you?
A Black Friday release would be interesting--however pointless since supply will be constrained regardless on when it is released.
No wait, I want my discount! :eek:

Deacon-Blues

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
California
Everyone uses their iPads for different things, which means the iPad Air and iPad Mini will appeal to different people for different reasons.

That said, I am always personally surprised by the popularity of the Mini over the full sized iPad, but I am clearly in the minority. It is hoped this will translate to shorter lines and better selections for the iPads Air on Friday.

giantfan1224

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
my prediction:

every apple user who ever thought about buying an ebook-reader will buy an ipad mini instead. and for the reason of portability and ease of use, half of the ipad owners will do the same after they are in need of a new tablet device.

A prediction virtually impossible to confirm.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.